Post: The Risk Behind The RAM: Is next-gen's biggest strength its greatest weakness?
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); [h=2]"It's going to be really tough to convince [new developers] to be technically clean when they work."[/h]
You must login or register to view this content.

When Sony announced that PlayStation 4 would include 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, developers and consumers alike revelled at the possibilities afforded by such a sheer amount of memory.

But the amount of RAM available in next-generation consoles could lead to developers failing to optimise code and spawn a generation of 'lazy' game creators, developers working on PlayStation 4 and 'other next-generation consoles' have warned VideoGamer.com.

Multiple developers working on next-gen titles agree that there is "absolutely" potential for dev teams to fail to optimise their software due to the huge amount of memory available, telling us that developers will have to be "very careful not to become sloppy".

"It could happen, I have to admit," Eidos Montreal producer Stephane Roy told us when asked about such a risk. But the temptation to cut corners with code will likely come from "kid" developers, Roy suggests - junior coders who enter the industry during the next console generation - rather than veteran developers.

You must login or register to view this content.

"Probably not from people who used to work here on PlayStation 2 and stuff like that," he continues. "But let's say you're a kid and you start on these platforms, I have to admit that it's going to be really tough to convince them to be technically clean when they work, and optimisation and stuff like that. So I can see it happening. It's possible."

Console developers have typically had to optimise code to achieve results on a relatively small amount of memory.
The Xbox 360 features only 512MB of GDDR3 RAM, with the 512MB available in PlayStation 3 divided between system and video memory - a minuscule amount compared to that available in high-end gaming PCs.

By comparison, PlayStation 4 offers 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, with rumours suggesting that Microsoft's next-generation Xbox could include 8GB of slower DDR3 memory.

Read the rest of the article here: You must login or register to view this content.

----

Lets just hope they dont get sloppy, even if they do, its just going to make the 1st party game look and feel alot better!

The following 2 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

6652nicholas, Hadenkin
04-16-2013, 10:39 AM #2
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
CPU.....is the weak link not the RAM stare
Due to the bottlenecks with the rest of the system.
04-16-2013, 09:28 PM #3
xLew--
Former Staff
i think its aimed more towards the devs becoming lazy..
04-16-2013, 10:45 PM #4
Hadenkin
< ^ > < ^ >
RAM will NEVER be the problem, the problem will be in any case the Motherboard or the Developers. RAM is just the gap they have to create a very high end graphics game together with processing data.
04-16-2013, 11:25 PM #5
6652nicholas
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by xLew
i think its aimed more towards the devs becoming lazy..

I think so aswell

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo