04-25-2013, 10:01 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Sony unveiled the PS4 at a press event on February 20, and while it boasted impressive visuals and some top-notch internal specs, one of the most awe-inspiring reveals was its revamped network capabilities. One of the system’s new online features stuck out in particular as an ingenious idea that could lead to a whole new line of business opportunities for skilled gamers.

You must login or register to view this content.

I’m referring to the PS4’s ability to remote control, or shadow another gamer’s session on the fly from any location that has internet access. Just think of what achievements and trophies did for this console generation: all sorts of websites entered the ether to vie for user clicks to figure out how to nab those pesky in-game rewards. Sites like You must login or register to view this content. and its sister site, You must login or register to view this content. have thrived throughout this generation of gaming. They have a rabid following and a dedicated user base, all due to the invention of ultimately meaningless in-game rewards.

Now, just imagine the types of websites that will spring up to take advantage of the PS4’s shadow play function. On paper this feature should allow skilled gamers the ability to sell their services to other gamers who may not possess the skills needed to conquer a tough section in a game, or don’t want to spend the time required to nab every achievement or trophy that a game has to offer. You may balk at this thought, but we all know at least one gamer who takes the idea of completing a video game to a level that could lead to paying for a little bit of assistance to obtain perfection.

The PS4′s shadow play feature will only expand the market of achievement hunting and trophy guides to the point where gamers could pay a “pro” for their services. These highly skilled gamers for hire could be called upon to complete a difficult challenge for other players that may yield previously unobtainable achievements/trophies that the customer would not have been able to unlock on their own.

Shadow play pros could also be hired to complete sections of a game that give their customers fits to the point of wanting to quit the game for good. We’ve all experienced moments like this throughout our gaming careers, and while I pride myself on conquering the challenges that video games throw at me, it would be comforting to know that I could save myself a mental breakdown by hiring a more skilled gamer to help me out.

Obviously this new feature of being able to hire outside assistance will present all sorts of moral and ethical conflicts for gamers. It’s essentially cheating, when you really think about it. It’s not like cheating on your taxes, or a test, because in the end we’re talking about video games, but if you don’t actually complete the entire experience by yourself, did you really conquer the game? Would you be able to brag to your friends about your conquest when deep down you knew that you weren’t the gamer you were making yourself out to be? It’s definitely a dilemma to think about in regards to the future of online gaming, and the potential of the PS4’s shadow play feature.

I believe hardcore gamers who take pride in their video game accomplishments will be less likely to pay for outside assistance, and they’d be the first to tell you that you’re a cheat for using a paid service. At the same time you have the casual crowd who probably wouldn’t think twice about paying for a little extra help so they can enjoy the entire experience that they paid upwards of $60 for. The idea of this type of service for gamers is definitely a double-edged sword, so it’ll be interesting to see if it gets turned into a new business model in the near future.

Could this be a new tool to help pay rent?

The invention of achievements and trophies and the plethora of sites that sprung up to support them this generation only leads me to believe that the same trend will take place with the PS4’s shadow play feature. I imagine a world where a gamer can go online and pay a small fee to a service provider who, in turn, would hook the customer up with a pro to help them with their gaming needs.

Regardless of the moral dilemma this service presents, I applaud Sony for thinking outside of the proverbial box, and providing innovative network features like the PS4’s ability to be remotely controlled by gamers not seated in the same play space. It’s a service that could revolutionize how gamers play video games with their friends, as well as one that could enable more skilled cyber athletes to make a living from their passion for video games. In the end, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with making a living doing something you love, so if the PS4’s shadow play feature can provide this for just a few gamers, I would consider it to be a success.

Good post from You must login or register to view this content. over at You must login or register to view this content.

-----

Personally i agree with this, this site will more then likely have a few services to help people, some of the OG trophy gods on this site eg. Jedt, MysticDragon, Gotham_Shadow and The_Fallen to name a few (not forgetting the others). I can see people like those legit trophy sellers really taking this on.

Who knows it may really take off, i know sometimes i struggle to get trophies and having someone give you a hand would greatly help and wouldnt kill the enjoyment of the game if you still want to completely finish it.

Some people that are truely god's at gaming could make a nice living out of it!

What are your thoughts on this?

The following user thanked xLew-- for this useful post:

jedt
04-25-2013, 10:46 AM #2
boss10000
Like A.....
Only problem would be paying the money, how would ypu really do it with the amount of people whould would steal or lie about it, it wouldn't take off till their is a middle "trust" man, like eBay is the middle man for actions.
04-25-2013, 11:14 AM #3
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by boss10000 View Post
Only problem would be paying the money, how would ypu really do it with the amount of people whould would steal or lie about it, it wouldn't take off till their is a middle "trust" man, like eBay is the middle man for actions.

just like how its done now, via paypal, buyer goes first, obviously at first there will be the odd risk but then if you do get scammed your covered by paypal.

it would run just like how services run on this site and how theyve been running for many years
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM #4
jedt
NGU's #1 Plat Provider!
Originally posted by xLew

Personally i agree with this, this site will more then likely have a few services to help people, some of the OG trophy gods on this site eg. Jedt, MysticDragon, Gotham_Shadow and The_Fallen to name a few (not forgetting the others). I can see people like those legit trophy sellers really taking this on.

What are your thoughts on this?

LOL thanks for the mention mate.

With the new trophy tools in place, a lot of the old school providers don't bother anymore, the fact this is more like a hand holding technique where you might only provide assistance for 5-10 minutes (getting the user through a tough fight, hard race, beating a boss etc) is a big plus.
The fact the end user might be able to achieve the Plat (legit) themselves might present the biggest reward.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo