Post: Nvidia: PlayStation 4 GPU is more powerful than Xbox 720 GPU
04-29-2013, 04:48 PM #1
nawking
NGU has sold out to money 8(
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Over the past few weeks Nvidia has been on the offensive against the PlayStation 4, saying its hardware is already outdated. AMD has since joined the fight, standing up for Sony and the PlayStation 4, saying that they gave it the hardware Nvidia couldn’t.

Now Nvidia appears to have come out on Sony’s side, for once. During a recent presentation of its high-end PC graphics card, Titan, they compared it not only to the PlayStation 4, but the Xbox 720 as well.

In the presentation slides, Nvidia compares console vs PC performance over a number of years. More interestingly, the presentation slides reveal Nvidia’s claims that its Titan is three times more powerful than the PlayStation 4 AMD GPU, and even more powerful than the Xbox 720 GPU (also rumored to be made by AMD).
You must login or register to view this content.

It would appear that Nvidia has some inside information about the Xbox 720 hardware, as the console is represented on the graph. According to the slide (seen below), the PlayStation 4 GPU is rated about 2,500 GPU FLOPS higher than the Xbox 720 GPU.

It looks like the PlayStation 4 GPU is only marginally more powerful than the Xbox 720 — about 10%, according to Nvidia. We’ll have to wait until Microsoft reveals the full specs before we can compare, but we doubt there will be that much of performance difference between the two consoles.

Check out Nvidia’s presentation slide below, showing how the PlayStation 4 GPU is positioned just slightly above the Xbox 720 GPU.

You must login or register to view this content.

The following 3 users say thank you to nawking for this useful post:

Immaculate., Soft, SONY
05-01-2013, 07:39 PM #20
Default Avatar
.Null
Really? Already outdated? No. The PS4's hardware is quite impressive, and should last for a number of years, and then even longer. I mean look at the PS3, it's hardware is absolutely dated and it is still able to pump out good looking games. Who would even buy the Titan? A 6GB Graphics card that is going to run you up $1000, only so you can use a fraction of it's power? I'll stick with a 2GB card that can run any game out there on max.
05-01-2013, 07:46 PM #21
Soft
Haxor!
Originally posted by Goonies View Post
They both should allow users/buyers to install there own gpu cards on to consoles. Which I think would be awesome.

That would cost us consumers, more money. Probably more than the console itself. And think of the compatibility issues..
05-01-2013, 08:01 PM #22
CTRL
Hurah!
not really... e.g the gpu card a consumer installs will out live a gpu processor that a console manufacture produces for there console. Don't forget console life span is 10years. 10 years is a long time to have updated graphics on a newer console. As for compatibility issues sony are using x86 chips which can handle most gpus on the market.

The following user thanked CTRL for this useful post:

sony1940
05-01-2013, 08:42 PM #23
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Pichu View Post
Lol, I love hearing; omg 8gb of ram. Then it's like, how good is your graphics? What? How good is your graphics? Uh, HD 4000. Yea, thought so.

Aha.

wtf u talkin bout lol
05-01-2013, 09:13 PM #24
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Toke View Post
wtf u talkin bout lol

Oh, just friends. When they see a computer and they see 8gb of ram, they just assume it is top of the line and that it can play any video game out there on high settings.

Friend spent 600$ on an i3, no disk drive, integrated graphics HD 4000. He claims it is one of the best computers out there... when it really isn't. Love it when the thing begins to lag and he complains about it.
05-01-2013, 09:25 PM #25
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Pichu View Post
Oh, just friends. When they see a computer and they see 8gb of ram, they just assume it is top of the line and that it can play any video game out there on high settings.

Friend spent 600$ on an i3, no disk drive, integrated graphics HD 4000. He claims it is one of the best computers out there... when it really isn't. Love it when the thing begins to lag and he complains about it.

where are these people? thats a $350 computer
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM #26
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Toke View Post
where are these people? thats a $350 computer

California; his has a touch screen though so add about 100$ to it.

He bought it at Best Buy a couple of months ago. The prices at my local best buy sucks except for games where they sell 60$ new release games for like 40$.
05-01-2013, 10:22 PM #27
Millz
Worth the Weight
This article makes no sense. "they came out on Sony's side" yet they claim their GPU is 3x faster than the Ps4...

I think people are misinterpreting this. Nvidia is attacking the Ps4/720 and they are right in doing so. They are not praising the Ps4 GPU, they are praising their GPU, which obviously smothers the competition in the single GPU market. Nvidia pretty much said that the Ps4 GPU was crappy while saying the Xbox one was really crappy and that theirs was 3x more powerful than the Ps4 one that is supposed to be "revolutionary".

The Ps4/720 are already using dated hardware, and will still not beat a decent $500-$600 gaming machine for gaming.
Last edited by Millz ; 05-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.
05-01-2013, 10:52 PM #28
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Millz View Post
This article makes no sense. "they came out on Sony's side" yet they claim their GPU is 3x faster than the Ps4...

I think people are misinterpreting this. Nvidia is attacking the Ps4/720 and they are right in doing so. They are not praising the Ps4 GPU, they are praising their GPU, which obviously smothers the competition in the single GPU market. Nvidia pretty much said that the Ps4 GPU was crappy while saying the Xbox one was really crappy and that theirs was 3x more powerful than the Ps4 one that is supposed to be "revolutionary".

The Ps4/720 are already using dated hardware, and will still not beat a decent $500-$600 gaming machine for gaming.

the titan makesother single gpu look like a steamy pile of shit

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo