Post: Sony enabled PS2 backwards compatibility for the PS4 without telling anyone
11-20-2015, 01:58 AM #1
Chop
NGU'S 2nd Cutest Member
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Microsoft may have gotten all the attention this week for its latest update to the Xbox One that enables backwards compatibility for over 100 Xbox 360 titles, but it seems Sony might have done the same thing for the PS4 with less celebration.

Eurogamer recently received the Special Edition Star Wars Battlefront PS4, along with the code for four downloadable titles: Super Star Wars, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, Star Wars: Racer Revenge and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

When the team went to boot up the three old PS2 titles, something strange happened. An old PS2 logo came up in "all of its poorly upscaled glory when you boot each title." Eurogamer reports that there was also a system in place to emulate a PS2 memory card to save your spot in the games and a prompt at the start of the emulation that told them that the select and start buttons can be accessed by pressing on the left and right of the DualShock 4's trackpad.

If these titles were ports of the original games, there'd be no need for the prompts or memory card emulation, the games would work natively with the PS4 software leading the team to believe that what they were looking at was the first titles to receive backwards compatibility on the PS4.

What's even more interesting about the possible emulator is that it upscaled the titles from their original resolutions - 512x448 and 640x448 - to a new native resolution on the PS4 of 1292x896.

The fact that a PS1 and PS2 emulator was in development was no secret. Sony made it abundantly clear at the launch of PlayStation Now that it wanted to bring the entire collection of past games onto its latest powerhouse, but has been mysteriously tight-lipped about the development of the software ever since.

The PS2 had 1,850 titles, one of the largest collections of any game console. If Sony can work some magic, the PS4's relatively meager library could quadruple in size overnight.

We've reached out to Sony to confirm the emulator's existence out in the wild, and its future plans for releasing PS2 content or (crossing our fingers) allowing the system to play PS2 discs.

source: You must login or register to view this content.

The following 2 users say thank you to Chop for this useful post:

ResistTheSun, Jon Snow
11-21-2015, 09:55 PM #11
diiRty_StaChE
Gettin Ripped, Playin Games!
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
PS2 has the bigger library.

Suppose it would only benefit the hardcore gamers. Like the ones who still play N64. Personally if I saw the graphics of a PS2 game I would throw up.
11-21-2015, 10:36 PM #12
JamesID24
Save Point
Originally posted by diiRty
Suppose it would only benefit the hardcore gamers. Like the ones who still play N64. Personally if I saw the graphics of a PS2 game I would throw up.

People Nowadays they don't really care about the PS1 / PS2 Compatibility, All they really want is the Quality to be as sexy as can be, But you if you ain't really bothered about the Quality / Experience then might aswell head back down the low Quality / Graphics area.
11-21-2015, 11:20 PM #13
Default Avatar
Oneup

Don't confuse good graphics for a good game.

The following 3 users say thank you to Oneup for this useful post:

bmob10189, Hola,
11-22-2015, 07:49 AM #14
Slick
Anxiety

Well said Enzo
11-22-2015, 09:54 AM #15
diiRty_StaChE

I bought a few of the PS1 classics from PS Store on PS3. There are a few games that are good to play even with shit graphics. But like I said, it will only really be used by the hardcore gamers.
11-22-2015, 12:58 PM #16
xSOADx
Banana Joe

I prefer a good game over good graphics, graphics are nice if there are really good but without a good plot/gameplay even the best graphics doesnt help

Looking forward for scarface, thps and crash bandicoot
11-22-2015, 06:37 PM #17
diiRty_StaChE
Originally posted by soad08 View Post
I prefer a good game over good graphics, graphics are nice if there are really good but without a good plot/gameplay even the best graphics doesnt help

loved selling drugs on scarface Happy But yeah thats what I mean. There are a few games that are still good to play even though the graphics are shit. Like literally a few.

The following user thanked diiRty_StaChE for this useful post:

xSOADx
11-22-2015, 11:19 PM #18
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by soad08 View Post

Tony hawk pro skater 3, still better than all the new ones we have gotten.

The following user thanked Oneup for this useful post:

xSOADx
11-23-2015, 01:41 PM #19
xSOADx
Banana Joe
Tony hawk pro skater 3, still better than all the new ones we have gotten.

Yeah thats right, new tony hawk game looks good , but is totally crap, thps3 looks (nowadays) crap but plays really good

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo