Post: Xbox One DRM Reversal Cuts Features, Requires One-Time Connection
06-20-2013, 09:22 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); You win some, you lose some. In You must login or register to view this content. its drastic Xbox One DRM policies today, Microsoft will actually be cutting some of the cooler features announced from the console. Everything's got a price, folks.

"There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change," Marc Whitten, v.p. of Xbox Live told Kotaku, "One of the things we were very exicted about was 'wherever we go my games are always with me.' Now, of course, your physical games won’t show up that way. The content you bought digitally will. But you’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch."

That means that two features are being cut, at least for now, from You must login or register to view this content.. Microsoft's concept of having your full game library travel with you is gone.

Microsoft's offer to let you share Xbox One games with up to nine other "family" members is gone, too.

The play-your-games-from-anywhere feature had been tied to the idea that all Xbox One games must be installed to the system's 500GB harddrive in order to run. In theory, if you had registered the game online—a requirement that's also been dropped for disc games for the Xbox One—you'd then be able to play those games from any other console you were logged into. Now, with disc games not needing to be registered, you'd have to bring the disc with you to prove you had the rights to play the game on it.

Those sacrifices are the cost of the new DRM policy that, Whitten says, will give people an Xbox One experience with disc-based games that matches what they had on the Xbox 360. Games won't have to be registered online, and players won't have to connect to the Internet in a 24-hour period to play offline disc-based games. "The way to think about it is that it works the way it does with the Xbox 360," Whitten said. "You can give them, loan them, trade them, play them. They will work exactly as they do today."

Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever.

Microsoft also announced today a loosening of the Xbox One's regional restrictions. "You could buy a console in any country and use it any country," Whitten said. "You can use any disc in that console."

How did Microsoft get their initial plans for the Xbox One so wrong? "We believe a lot in this digital future," Whitten said. "We believe it builds an amazing experience—the ability to have a broader sharing platform and my content coming with me, [but] what we heard is people still wanted more choice… they wanted the familiarity of the physical disc."

Microsoft is obviously doing a big flip-flop here, but is putting a proud face on it. And a grateful one. "The last thing I would say is, 'Thank you for the feedback.'" He wasn't addressing me. He was addressing you. Your voices really were heard.
You must login or register to view this content.
06-20-2013, 09:30 AM #2
-Skyline
Anonymous
What I find funny is that all this requires an internet connection to download the patch... :3
06-20-2013, 09:33 AM #3
Richard.
Won't be active..
Originally posted by xLew
You win some, you lose some. In You must login or register to view this content. its drastic Xbox One DRM policies today, Microsoft will actually be cutting some of the cooler features announced from the console. Everything's got a price, folks.

"There’s a few things we won’t be able to deliver as a result of this change," Marc Whitten, v.p. of Xbox Live told Kotaku, "One of the things we were very exicted about was 'wherever we go my games are always with me.' Now, of course, your physical games won’t show up that way. The content you bought digitally will. But you’ll have to bring your discs with you to have your games with you. Similarly, the sharing library [is something] we won’t be able to deliver at launch."

That means that two features are being cut, at least for now, from You must login or register to view this content.. Microsoft's concept of having your full game library travel with you is gone.

Microsoft's offer to let you share Xbox One games with up to nine other "family" members is gone, too.

The play-your-games-from-anywhere feature had been tied to the idea that all Xbox One games must be installed to the system's 500GB harddrive in order to run. In theory, if you had registered the game online—a requirement that's also been dropped for disc games for the Xbox One—you'd then be able to play those games from any other console you were logged into. Now, with disc games not needing to be registered, you'd have to bring the disc with you to prove you had the rights to play the game on it.

Those sacrifices are the cost of the new DRM policy that, Whitten says, will give people an Xbox One experience with disc-based games that matches what they had on the Xbox 360. Games won't have to be registered online, and players won't have to connect to the Internet in a 24-hour period to play offline disc-based games. "The way to think about it is that it works the way it does with the Xbox 360," Whitten said. "You can give them, loan them, trade them, play them. They will work exactly as they do today."

Microsoft clarifies that the planned day-one Xbox One update, which Whitten told me, will "complete some of the software that won’t be there," is actually not a result of today's DRM policy change. Rather, it was always planned and will simply be required for playing off-line, among other things. Not a patch, they say. But, yes, your new Xbox console would have to connect online once in order to do the things Microsoft described today. And then you can keep it offline and play games without re-connecting to the Internet forever.

Microsoft also announced today a loosening of the Xbox One's regional restrictions. "You could buy a console in any country and use it any country," Whitten said. "You can use any disc in that console."

How did Microsoft get their initial plans for the Xbox One so wrong? "We believe a lot in this digital future," Whitten said. "We believe it builds an amazing experience—the ability to have a broader sharing platform and my content coming with me, [but] what we heard is people still wanted more choice… they wanted the familiarity of the physical disc."

Microsoft is obviously doing a big flip-flop here, but is putting a proud face on it. And a grateful one. "The last thing I would say is, 'Thank you for the feedback.'" He wasn't addressing me. He was addressing you. Your voices really were heard.

Bit too late if you ask me, not like I was going to buy one anyway.

The following user thanked Richard. for this useful post:

xLew--
06-20-2013, 11:45 AM #4
LightModz
League Champion
Originally posted by xLew
You win some, you lose some. In You must login or register to view this content. its drastic Xbox One DRM policies today, Microsoft will actually be cutting some of the cooler features announced from the console. Everything's got a price, folks.

imo they only changed it because they wernt happy with the amount of preorders they got, for example amazon had a feed on their facebook page to show the amount of xbox one and ps4 preorders there were, xbox one had around 2100 ps4 had 38000 .... they changed this because they realised they would lose money. Sony always had consumers in mind thats why we never had this u turn in ps4 because if it isnt broke dont fix it!
06-20-2013, 12:11 PM #5
-Skyline
Anonymous

The following 3 users say thank you to -Skyline for this useful post:

.James, Dman93, xLew--
06-20-2013, 02:24 PM #6
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
See what I find unsetteling, is the fact that they said they couldn't turn any of this off, yet here they are turning it off.

What's stopping them from disabling it only long enough to make sales, then re-enabling it once everyone has a Xbox One?

They also didn't get rid of the Kinect always being on which is a major turn off for me. This NSA stuff is still going strong, I don't want them to have another window into my life. They ditch that, I might consider an Xbox One, but for now, I'm making the switch back to PS in the next Gen.
06-20-2013, 02:40 PM #7
Here's one for you, if microsoft simply made the always online an turn on/ turn off feature people would be fine with that. If you wanted your physical games around a friends house then turn the always online feature on if you don't turn it off. That way people that want to play their offline games without internet aren't interupted by retarded DRM and people that want the always online extra features can have it... why didn't microshit do this from the beginning?

Also why the fuck are normalfags so obsessed with sharing. First facebook where you keep everyone updated about your life, then twitter where you keep everyone updated about the most inane shit in the world "Just opend a bag of chips lol" Now the Shitboxone where you can share your games with 9 family members (Who even needs this???) "the ability to have a broader sharing platform and my content coming with me," Why in the fuck do you need thisas much effort as it is to take a disk somewhere... I never even take games with me to my friends house when I go to a friends house I do what they want if they asked me to bring a game I would...
Last edited by Madison Taylor ; 06-20-2013 at 02:46 PM.
06-20-2013, 04:16 PM #8
Jino
Mario!
Fuck microsoft fohreal.. they were unprepared and launched a shitty ass console who no one's gonna buy
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM #9
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by Skyline View Post

sums it up completely! straight up lying then changing their mind as if no one will even notice

The following 2 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

-Skyline, iiJoKa-x
06-20-2013, 10:54 PM #10
Hahahahaha microsoft fucks it self over and trys to cover up Hahahahaha :carlling: good luck is all i say.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo