11-10-2010, 11:59 PM #1
PHO3NIX~
Regenerated and Reborn
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); If you are lagging on Black Ops and you know its not your connection causing the problem or if your the host of the game and your still lagging:
Its because there is so many people online who are using up Treyarch's server's resources
Black Ops mainly relys on p2p (peer2peer) connections between a host and other clients. But your ranks, stats, emblems, friend list info, etc... is stored on Treyarch's server's
If there is too many people playing on BO at once, the server's cant handle it and you will receive whats called a "high ping" (won't go into too much detail now)
And also, the game is running too much stuff at once for the PS3 to handle

But we can bypass high ping if we lower the amount of resources the client/host (your ps3) needs
And even when people lose interest in the game and less people are online, your PS3 will still freeze occasionally in menus and take long amount of time to load, because the PS3 can't handle Black Ops effectively

So I am going to address two things with this thread:
1. Server Latency
2. PS3 Tweaking

(If your connection is weak or you have connection problems or you don't know what post forwarding/DMZ is, then this thread isn't for you)

The only way to have a good Latency / low ping is to have a decent connection and to wait for people to lose interest in the game
When there is about 400,000 people online, the game should run smoothly once you get into a game. But this does not solve the issue of slow loading times and freezing in menu's. I am going to discuss how to lower your ping as much as you can at the moment:

The ps3 has a low amount of RAM, 256mb infact.
So it can't do much at the same time. e.g. Can only send 12 messages at a time.
So when Black Ops is constantly updating information about your friends list and your recent players, and their fileshare. And stats, and theatre mode, etc... Then its no surprise your going to experience slow loading times
So the way round it is to minimise the amount it has to do as much as possible. So delete all your received messages on your ps3. And all your sent messages. And delete all unnecessary friends from your list. This will lower your ping, and will decrease loading times in the menus and you will have slightly less lag online

Also when you are in the Playstation Network menu in multiplayer, press select and change the option to "LOCALE ONLY"

If you do as I said, this is what you can expect to happen:

Slightly faster loading times in menus on Black Ops
Your friends list on your XMB will load MUCH FASTER
Your in-game XMB will operate MUCH FASTER
Your ping will be reduced slightly in Black Ops
You will play against players in your country only, so lower ping overall and you can understand each other Winky Winky

This is confirmed to work (by me)
Black Ops was sticking for me and I was experiencing a lot of lag and freezing in menu's. Now I'm experiencing no freezing in menu's. The lag has been reduced, but there is nothing more we can do about that now until there is less strain on the server's.
My in-game XMB is opening/closing much faster
I can send messages much faster
Takes a lot less time to sign in, and my friends list is loaded much faster
Last edited by PHO3NIX~ ; 11-11-2010 at 12:28 AM.

The following 75 users say thank you to PHO3NIX~ for this useful post:

ⒿⒺⒷⓇⓄ, AgentJon, ak7, allant, aqua_73_, AristotIe-, bertieboy7, bmxrcodol04, chris48hour, codefollow, Como, conrod, Curtyy, DanGFX, dfrost182, DR-Dizzy, Draco771, eaglechamp, FLU33BR, gdnxp, glitchplz, Hazel, HeadHunterM7, higzy94, HomelandSec, Hughseyy, hussler, ibombo, ImTheBabyKicker, iownall6, J-J, jake-thesnake, Jamesyy, jay2nice000, Jteezay09, justintp918, kane212, kevymatts, lilnatsfan44, MARY JANE, mero8888, mlkey123, morgan8088, Mr Grumpy, mrguy0874, mugatu, Mw2Freak13, OllieIcon, Omniplasma, PEGGIE99, Pimp, rico4u2day2, saudi--fantom, scythemage, SleepyTuness, SnackGuy, snilletx3, Solid Snake, Thristle, toad321, TUZVIZFOLD, viralhysteria, VnmZ, Warfrog213, Wfloydboy16, WhiplashOne, Whore, xFutterr, xIAmSchwem, xKNoWL3zY--, xLew--, xStefan, xXM@DM@RCXx, Xzz-MoDz-zzX, Yozod
11-11-2010, 09:40 AM #11
llamaboy
Pokemon Trainer
Originally posted by llamaboy View Post
So the way round it is to minimise the amount it has to do as much as possible. So delete all your received messages on your ps3. And all your sent messages. And delete all unnecessary friends from your list. This will lower your ping, and will decrease loading times in the menus and you will have slightly less lag online

i have over 1000 messages.. is it really worth deleting them all?

i lag alot of the time and somtimes cant even find games due to it.. but it will take a year to delete them messages..
Last edited by llamaboy ; 11-11-2010 at 09:42 AM.
11-11-2010, 09:44 AM #12
PHO3NIX~
Regenerated and Reborn
Originally posted by llamaboy View Post
i have over 1000 messages.. is it really worth deleting them all?

i lag alot of the time and somtimes cant even find games due to it.. but it will take a year to delete them messages..

YES! Definitely

Why do you think it takes so long to delete them?
They will free up a lot of RAM if you delete them all
11-11-2010, 10:01 AM #13
RAM isn't the problem, PS3 has two 256MB ram blocks, one clocked at 3.2Ghz and one at 700mhz.
Xbox 360 has 512MB at 700mhz. It's just poor coding by Treyarch.
MW2 never had freezing problems and that game probably uses more power due to better graphics and faster loading times.
11-11-2010, 04:07 PM #14
SUPERIMIAINI
Machete Don't Text!
Originally posted by FKz
If you are lagging on Black Ops and you know its not your connection causing the problem or if your the host of the game and your still lagging

Hey let me ask you a quick question since you seem to know a lot about this subject. Yesterday I was able to find out what PORTS for the PS3 BOTH TCP & UPD COD B.O. needs open and I disabled my UPnP on my PS3 gave it a static IP and did port forwarding and opened those ports up on my router. My connection did get better but there is still a lot of lag besides waiting out the amount of people online is there anything else I can do ??? Thanks in advance.
11-11-2010, 04:21 PM #15
PHO3NIX~
Regenerated and Reborn
Originally posted by SUPERIMIAINI View Post
Hey let me ask you a quick question since you seem to know a lot about this subject. Yesterday I was able to find out what PORTS for the PS3 BOTH TCP & UPD COD B.O. needs open and I disabled my UPnP on my PS3 gave it a static IP and did port forwarding and opened those ports up on my router. My connection did get better but there is still a lot of lag besides waiting out the amount of people online is there anything else I can do ??? Thanks in advance.

Put your PS3's IP address as DMZ host in your router and then follow the instructions in the first post of this thread

The following user thanked PHO3NIX~ for this useful post:

SUPERIMIAINI
11-11-2010, 04:27 PM #16
ps3-dude
Who’s Jim Erased?
Should this solve the not being able to make a party problem?
11-11-2010, 05:27 PM #17
Jamesyy
OG? No? ok.
Originally posted by another user
Put your PS3's IP address as DMZ host in your router and then follow the instructions in the first post of this thread

I can't find loacale only...
11-11-2010, 06:00 PM #18
Thanks a lot, trying it now.

Off topic question:

Why is it that they say "developers don't use PS3's full potential" and then this comes? I understand the server thing, happens with anything. But the RAM part?
11-11-2010, 06:28 PM #19
PHO3NIX~
Regenerated and Reborn
Originally posted by GRP
Thanks a lot, trying it now.

Off topic question:

Why is it that they say "developers don't use PS3's full potential" and then this comes? I understand the server thing, happens with anything. But the RAM part?

The in-game XMB uses a LOT of RAM
And if it uses too much then it can use up some of the RAM the game needs to run
By deleting all messages and unnecessary friends we can free up alot of RAM

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Originally posted by Window
I can't find loacale only...

Playstation Network >>> Player Match >>> PRESS SELECT >>> Press Down >>> Switch to Locale Only

^^^^^ from memory so don't quote me on that, I'll confirm it later some time but it is one of those "select" menu's

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo