03-01-2011, 09:11 PM #1
x-MaGiiKZz-o
Who’s Jim Erased?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); OK, well I am starting coding. I can do sort of good HTML I suppose, can do alright CSS. I am working on them both then will go on to Javascript( I think). However I tried learning C++, still trying...I'm getting there however is there any other important coding languages that I should know of to learn? Thanks Winky Winky
03-02-2011, 09:01 PM #11
Originally posted by Dutch View Post
Actually it was made in 1970, its just that it is so popular.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

C++ for Dummies edition 2, Sams teach yourself c++ in 21 days 5th edition. Also on youtube, anitrtfm, check him out.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

gcc as my compiler and vim. I went from vc++, to codeblocks, to a text editor called vim and compiling it on the command line.

C++ has been update allot since 1970 :P
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM #12
pcfreak30
>> PCFreak30.com Happy<<
Well, HTML is used to render web pages. CSS is used to style the web pages (make them look good).

Javascript is a client-side language. That means it executes on your computer/web browser, not the server your accessing.

Javascript is good for web based stuff, but can't really do anything past that without extra help.

There are interpreted and compiled languages. Interpreted languages include some such as Javascript (JS), PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby.

interpreted languages are read by a compiled program, then executed. Due to this, the script code itself is converted to a intermediate language that may differ between the languages. PHP for example converts code to byte-code in memory then executes.

JAVA is some-what a interpreted language. It uses a compiler, but only converts the code to java byte code like PHP. But instead of holding in memory, it saves to a file (class file usually).

That would then get executed by the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) which again is a compiled program.

.NET languages also get "compiled" to a middle language called IL (Intermediate language). Which then the .net runtime then executes.

Two common .NEt languages are c#, and VB.NET. There is also ASP.NET which is usually for web-development (ASPX scripts)

So Scripting languages, .NET languages, and JAVA are all interpreted languages in their own respective ways.

Now languages such as delphi, C, C++, VB6, and hundreds more are compiled languages. A compiled program converts the code directly to binary, instead of IL or a byte code.

Also as a random node, Python seems to be one of the few that makes a byte-code copy (PYC file), of the script. So interpreters can really run both byte code and raw scripts.

Oh and compiled languages require you to manage computer memory and are considered low-level. Interpreted/high-level do not.

Hopefully this information will help you decide what to learn.

The following user thanked pcfreak30 for this useful post:

schnzrs
03-02-2011, 09:32 PM #13
kiwimoosical
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by schnzrs View Post
HTML and CSS are markup/style languages, not actual programming languages. My recommendation would be to learn Java, Python, and/or JavaScript. They are all high level languages (easy to understand and fun to program in!). While languages like C++ are old, annoying, and losing popularity.

C++ is not annoying >_<
C++ is the fastest language, although it doesn't have a GC (Garbage Collector) like most modern high-level programming languages do, if you are good with memory management and make sure you don't have memory leaks it is extremely efficient. Also you have more access to the OS than .NET applications give you, a lot more. Also you can write applications based on Win32 rather than the .NET runtime enviornment. Which is limiting. Just saying, learn C++ or C.
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM #14
schnzrs
Do a barrel roll!
^ @PC Freak, good post. That is why I like interpreted/high level languages like Python and Java. Garbage collection is annoying in C and C++, and if you don't do garbage collection memory leaks will happen. In Python and Java you don't need to worry about it.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Originally posted by kiwimoosical View Post
C++ is not annoying >_<
C++ is the fastest language, although it doesn't have a GC (Garbage Collector) like most modern high-level programming languages do, if you are good with memory management and make sure you don't have memory leaks it is extremely efficient. Also you have more access to the OS than .NET applications give you, a lot more. Also you can write applications based on Win32 rather than the .NET runtime enviornment. Which is limiting. Just saying, learn C++ or C.

Language speed matters very little to to average programming, unless you are building some powerful 3d engine or HD Video Editor :P Also Python has pretty much as much access as C or C++. Just look at Python's OS module!
03-02-2011, 09:51 PM #15
kiwimoosical
Bounty hunter
^ @PC Freak, good post. That is why I like interpreted/high level languages like Python and Java. Garbage collection is annoying in C and C++, and if you don't do garbage collection memory leaks will happen. In Python and Java you don't need to worry about it.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Language speed matters very little to to average programming, unless you are building some powerful 3d engine or HD Video Editor :P Also Python has pretty much as much access as C or C++. Just look at Python's OS module!

To an average programmer, to a smart programmer it does matter. Also Python doesn't have nearly as much access as C++ or C. Python constricts you to their OS library, C++ doesn't.

Edit: You clearly don't know what garbage collection is. Manual management of memory is called Dynamic Memory Management, garbage collection is what the JRE or .NET Enviornments do automatically.
03-02-2011, 09:59 PM #16
schnzrs
Do a barrel roll!
To an average programmer, to a smart programmer it does matter. Also Python doesn't have nearly as much access as C++ or C. Python constricts you to their OS library, C++ doesn't.

Edit: You clearly don't know what garbage collection is. Manual management of memory is called Dynamic Memory Management, garbage collection is what the JRE or .NET Enviornments do automatically.

Sorry, I have not used C++ in ages. I meant C++ does not have garbage collection... my bad.

Also another thing Java/Python have over compiled languages is write once, run anywhere.
03-02-2011, 10:11 PM #17
kiwimoosical
Bounty hunter
Sorry, I have not used C++ in ages. I meant C++ does not have garbage collection... my bad.

Also another thing Java/Python have over compiled languages is write once, run anywhere.

IF you have the runtime environment, which isn't for all operating systems. If you want the strongest language code in straight up ASM or PPC. lulz Happy Also, C++ is overall good at everything thanks to its sexy libraries. Java is aimed at portability, python is aimed at arithmetic, C++ is good at nearly everything.
Last edited by kiwimoosical ; 03-02-2011 at 10:14 PM.
03-02-2011, 10:26 PM #18
schnzrs
Do a barrel roll!
IF you have the runtime environment, which isn't for all operating systems. If you want the strongest language code in straight up ASM or PPC. lulz Happy Also, C++ is overall good at everything thanks to its sexy libraries. Java is aimed at portability, python is aimed at arithmetic, C++ is good at nearly everything.

That's true about the runtime. I believe all/most computers now ship with Java runtime, and most Linux distros and Mac OSX come with at least Python 2.5. It's better than nothing.
03-02-2011, 10:37 PM #19
kiwimoosical
Bounty hunter
That's true about the runtime. I believe all/most computers now ship with Java runtime, and most Linux distros and Mac OSX come with at least Python 2.5. It's better than nothing.

Maybe, but I'm sure they don't all come with the same version of JRE, so not all apps will work until they update the JRE, which most people do not.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo