Post: what should be your next step twords making 3d games after learning c++
02-05-2012, 05:55 PM #1
|C++|
< ^ > < ^ >
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); IF you know pretty much basic - intermediate c++, like the stuff out of a sams teach yourself c++ book, what should be your next step twords making 3d games ?
02-05-2012, 06:59 PM #2
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Originally posted by SLiiTH3R View Post
IF you know pretty much basic - intermediate c++, like the stuff out of a sams teach yourself c++ book, what should be your next step twords making 3d games ?

There's a lot more to programming video games than just knowing a language (there's a lot more to programming in general than knowing a language). Have you read any of the canonical books such as You must login or register to view this content. or You must login or register to view this content.? Also, how much do you know about computer science and software engineering methodologies? If you can't do well on You must login or register to view this content., then you probably don't know enough.

You should also start to learn about You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content. and object-oriented programming.

You'll also need to choose (and then learn) a 3D graphics library.

To actually develop 3D games you'll need to understand mathematics and physics well enough to implement such features into your game. Of course, you'll need to know how to create music and sound effects, as well as graphics. Of course, you'll actually need to know how to go about developing games (I've heard good things about You must login or register to view this content.).

The bottom line is that there is a lot to learn, and a Sams book is not only frowned upon in the industry, but isn't enough to start programming 3D games.
Last edited by Epic? ; 02-05-2012 at 07:02 PM.
02-06-2012, 08:16 AM #3
Originally posted by SLiiTH3R View Post
IF you know pretty much basic - intermediate c++, like the stuff out of a sams teach yourself c++ book, what should be your next step twords making 3d games ?

i agree with epic? for the most part, you're not going to be able to go into c++ game programming with just one mind set. but if i were you i would mainly focus on classes algorithms vectors polymorphism and dynamic memory allocation of c++ they are what game devs use a lot and what makes their games fluid. if you're gonna start on the road to 3d game design, then i would start by watching this kid You must login or register to view this content.
don't start with the hello world but watch his videos about using algorithms and polymorphism etc. etc. he will help you understand it. then move on to You must login or register to view this content. learning everything this has to offer.

learning allegro c++ programming will start you off on the right road.

hope this helped.
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM #4
|C++|
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by Docko412 View Post
i agree with epic? for the most part, you're not going to be able to go into c++ game programming with just one mind set. but if i were you i would mainly focus on classes algorithms vectors polymorphism and dynamic memory allocation of c++ they are what game devs use a lot and what makes their games fluid. if you're gonna start on the road to 3d game design, then i would start by watching this kid You must login or register to view this content.
don't start with the hello world but watch his videos about using algorithms and polymorphism etc. etc. he will help you understand it. then move on to You must login or register to view this content. learning everything this has to offer.

learning allegro c++ programming will start you off on the right road.

hope this helped.

thanks Smile...................

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo