Post: You need to format disk drive before you can use it??????????
01-02-2014, 10:06 PM #1
xX____BMX____Xx
youtube.com/eggncheezy
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); hey guys just recently got a new hard drive for my computer, and have that working properly. so i bought an enclosure for my old hard drive and when i plug it in with the old nclosure it "You need to format disk drive before you can use it". could it be that my computer only recognizes the drive in the port inside my laptop? and not on any usb port? if so how can i make it recognizable via usb, without formatting the drive and erasing everything on it?
01-23-2014, 03:07 AM #11
Millz
Worth the Weight
Originally posted by Xx View Post
so if i format it, i can still use it? or is it basically a paper weight?

My drive was rendered useless pretty much immediately after I recovered the data due to the large amount of bad sectors on it, I fear that there is a possibility that it might happen with yours as well, however you can always try to format it to see if it works, but obviously don't format it if there's something that you need to take from the drive, use the method that I explained to you above.

The following user thanked Millz for this useful post:

xX____BMX____Xx
01-23-2014, 09:40 PM #12
xX____BMX____Xx
youtube.com/eggncheezy
Originally posted by Millz View Post
My drive was rendered useless pretty much immediately after I recovered the data due to the large amount of bad sectors on it, I fear that there is a possibility that it might happen with yours as well, however you can always try to format it to see if it works, but obviously don't format it if there's something that you need to take from the drive, use the method that I explained to you above.

alright a lil update, i did some research and people were saying it was maybe an ownership issue, so i converted the drive to my ownership. so now i can view files and take files off the drive, but still can't write to it....my friend said it could be because my drive is a boot drive and it is basically one big partition. idk what do you think?
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM #13
xX____BMX____Xx
youtube.com/eggncheezy
Originally posted by RADZ1973 View Post
Ok found this on another forum try it and let me know.

1. Open a Command prompt by clicking Start, typing command, and clicking Command Prompt.

2. Type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Type list volume and press Enter.

4. Type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive that's giving you the "write-protected" error. In my case, I ended up typing select volume 3.

5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.

6. Type exit and press Enter.

That's it! Now you should have full write access to the problem drive.

i combined your method with some research and i found out that some people were saying it was maybe an ownership issue, so i converted the drive to my ownership. so now i can view files and take files off the drive, but still can't write to it....my friend said it could be because my drive is a boot drive and it is basically one big partition. idk what do you think?
01-24-2014, 08:24 AM #14
RADDY1993
< ^ > < ^ >
I would take what i needed from that drive then wipe it and re-partition it. You can wipe it with dban the use diskpart to create a new partition, Then it should be good to use. If you dont want to use dban you can wipe it with diskpart, here's a good tutorial You must login or register to view this content. once done here's how to re-partition it You must login or register to view this content..
Last edited by RADDY1993 ; 01-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo