01-10-2014, 08:25 PM #1
AppleTechKid
Trustworthy: Level 1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
As the title implies, I consider myself a bit of a Mac/Apple enthusiast, so I will be trying to help you reslove and Mac problems that you are experiencing. But will also try to help you with any other Apple device issues, such as iPad, Ipod, Iphone and so on...
So post below using the following template what issues you're experiencing and I will try myself to help you resolve the issue.

OPEN! But a bit slow because of exams.

Template:
Device:
Issue(s):
Urgency:

Regards,
AppleTechKid.
Cool Man (aka Tustin)

The following user thanked AppleTechKid for this useful post:

Cien
01-10-2014, 08:40 PM #2
Dman93
Crawl to your cross
Originally posted by AppleTechKid View Post
As the title implies, I consider myself a bit of a Mac/Apple enthusiast, so I will be trying to help you reslove and Mac problems that you are experiencing. But will also try to help you with any other Apple device issues, such as iPad, Ipod, Iphone and so on...
So post below using the following template what issues you're experiencing and I will try myself to help you resolve the issue.

OPEN! But a bit slow because of exams.

Template:
Device:
Issue(s):
Urgency:

Regards,
AppleTechKid.
Cool Man (aka Tustin)

Device: iMac 27" late 2010

Here's one..When I plug in an optical cable to my iMac with an adapter it worked fine for a while now the red light on the optical cable is very faded. But only on the iMac, it works fine on the other pc's and things in my house. When I plug it into the iMac, it recognises it but there is no sound.. I seen this problem on a lot of forums but never any answers. No worries if you don't know. Smile
01-10-2014, 08:51 PM #3
AppleTechKid
Trustworthy: Level 1
Originally posted by Dman93 View Post
Device: iMac 27" late 2010

Here's one..When I plug in an optical cable to my iMac with an adapter it worked fine for a while now the red light on the optical cable is very faded. But only on the iMac, it works fine on the other pc's and things in my house. When I plug it into the iMac, it recognises it but there is no sound.. I seen this problem on a lot of forums but never any answers. No worries if you don't know. Smile

Hey there, bit more information needed if possible, what brand is the cable and adapter? I am aware that the optical outputs are known for being very lower power.

And also whilst you're at it, have a read of this:
Originally posted by another user

When you plug the optical mini-jack into the Mac, it should detect that an optical connection is present. To verify, go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Sound > Output. It will probably list optical as the output or show it as a selectable option if this is not the case. The device you are using may require optical to be manually selected as the input source. In some cases the device may also require the sample rate and/or the clock source to be selected as well. If that’s the case, set the sample rate to be the same as your audio file/source that you will playing from the Mac. Set the device's clock source to optical (digital input) if necessary. Checking the device's manual is the best safeguard so don't hesitate to do so.

Arguments can lean one way or the other so far as the technological advantages of Firewire vs optical vs USB. In any case, it’s best to keep the distance of the digital run from the Mac to the audio device as short as possible and use quality components (cable, adapter). Using the Mac’s output connector mutes the speaker playback on many, if not all, models. Since a mini-jack is a fairly fragile connection compared more robust options, it may be more susceptible to breaking or wear from constant plugging in and out to hear the speakers. If you are the type who switches to the speaker playback sparingly, this may not be a concern.

Thanks Smile
Last edited by AppleTechKid ; 01-10-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo