09-21-2009, 01:00 AM #1
Zero Thunder
Climbing up the ladder
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
The Difference Between a DoS and a DDoS Attack
By XxpunisherXx | Dont Know? Ask...

Okay- Here is a little rant that is probably going to turn into some basic information...

I am getting sick and tired of people making this mistake- I suppose I could understand because the difference in names is so small; but the difference in meanings is huge as far as Data flooding goes, aDoS (Denial of Service) is NOT a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service)...There IS a Difference, Let me Define both of them:

DoS: a DoS Attack is a Denial of Service attack- it involves using one computer / Internet connection to flood a server with packets (TCP / UDP) - The Objective of this attack is to 'overload' the servers bandwidth / other resources, This will cause a Denial of Service to anyone else that tries to use the server for whatever reason (HTTP [Website]).etc - hence the name Denial of Service Attack.

DDoS: Yes, There IS a difference- a DDoS Attack (or Distributed Denial of Service Attack) is pretty much the same as a DoS- but the difference in results is massive; as its name suggests the DDoS attack is executed using a distributed computing method often referred to as a 'botnet army', the creation process of which involves infecting computers with a form of malware that gives the botnet owner access to the computer somewhat- this cold be anything from simply using the computers connection to flood to total control of the computer - these attacks affect the victims computer -> server more than a regular DoS- because multiple connections are being used against ONE connection, Think of it like a fight, if there is a 1-on-1 fight; the chance of the good guy winning is far higher than if he was being beaten up by severalthousand tough-guys Smile

Anyway- I hope this clears things up a bit Smile
09-21-2009, 02:58 AM #2
iiBlazee
Bounty hunter
Umm if you are a site owner there are many Anti DDoS Scripts you can use. Prevents most of them
09-21-2009, 09:16 AM #3
Originally posted by cexanaconda View Post
Umm if you are a site owner there are many Anti DDoS Scripts you can use. Prevents most of them

True, however if someone good enough was to target the site, the script is near useless. If facebook can get taken down with the best Cisco IDS hardware out there, then anything can be done.
09-21-2009, 10:57 PM #4
Originally posted by Gobble172 View Post
True, however if someone good enough was to target the site, the script is near useless. If facebook can get taken down with the best Cisco IDS hardware out there, then anything can be done.

Thats why people run at the sound of my name lol jk jk
09-22-2009, 08:19 PM #5
UrMomLickzMyKnob
Pokemon Trainer
anybody need any good stable bots, ive got sum ... priv8 srcs as well. i got outta the bot scene but if u need sum with workin vnc and netapi as well lemme know... also m0dded ircd for nix and win
09-22-2009, 08:39 PM #6
Thanks for telling me becuase i really didn't know what dos meant
09-22-2009, 09:50 PM #7
Its the Computer itself

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo