Post: Mircosoft will be giving free upgrade to Windows 10 for pirates and non-pirates alike
03-19-2015, 06:57 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Software piracy has been the bane of Microsoft's existence ever since the first copy of Windows was pirated. Since then, it's been a cat and mouse game between Microsoft and software pirates, but when it comes to Windows 10, it looks like Microsoft is willing to call a truce. More specifically, reports have emerged that Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to all Windows users, even those running non-genuine copies

The initial report comes from You must login or register to view this content., which spoke with Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Operating Systems.
"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Myerson said, adding that the plans is to "re-engage" with the hundreds of millions of Windows users in China.
Windows piracy runs rampant in China, and to deal with the problem, Microsoft is extending an olive branch, so to speak. It will dole out Windows 10 through security outfit Qihoo 360 Technology and Tencent Holdings, China's most popular social networking company with more than 800 million users.
The article doesn't mention whether the free upgrade for Windows pirates only applies to users in China or if it will also be valid for users in the U.S. and other parts of the world. Other reports make it sound like it's a global thing, including You must login or register to view this content., which was told by a Microsoft spokesperson that "anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows."
03-20-2015, 06:15 AM #2
KAOSxGaming
At least I can fight
Originally posted by TheMightyMoJo View Post
You must login or register to view this content.

Software piracy has been the bane of Microsoft's existence ever since the first copy of Windows was pirated. Since then, it's been a cat and mouse game between Microsoft and software pirates, but when it comes to Windows 10, it looks like Microsoft is willing to call a truce. More specifically, reports have emerged that Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to all Windows users, even those running non-genuine copies

The initial report comes from You must login or register to view this content., which spoke with Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Operating Systems.
"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Myerson said, adding that the plans is to "re-engage" with the hundreds of millions of Windows users in China.
Windows piracy runs rampant in China, and to deal with the problem, Microsoft is extending an olive branch, so to speak. It will dole out Windows 10 through security outfit Qihoo 360 Technology and Tencent Holdings, China's most popular social networking company with more than 800 million users.
The article doesn't mention whether the free upgrade for Windows pirates only applies to users in China or if it will also be valid for users in the U.S. and other parts of the world. Other reports make it sound like it's a global thing, including You must login or register to view this content., which was told by a Microsoft spokesperson that "anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows."

Hmm This is very interesting now i wonder what all the restrictions will be but i bet some people will find a way around it.
03-21-2015, 12:02 AM #3
Merki
Haxor!
This sounds interesting I will definitely be checking this out.
03-25-2015, 03:39 PM #4
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
I want to know how much the upgrade is going to cost after being free for a year.
03-25-2015, 03:48 PM #5
Geo
Don't Believe The Title
It will be global but Microsoft has stated that if an illegitimate copy is upgraded (unlicensed ) the it will remain unlicensed. They do not generate keys by doing it
03-30-2015, 02:13 AM #6
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by Geo View Post
It will be global but Microsoft has stated that if an illegitimate copy is upgraded (unlicensed ) the it will remain unlicensed. They do not generate keys by doing it

Which I don't really understand. If someone was coming from an illegitimate copy of windows, why bother doing the upgrade? The copy they are upgrading to won't be legitimate and will more than likely have the same old restrictions put into place.

What I see happening is people who never planning on paying for it waiting on a crack and upgrading at that point.
03-30-2015, 10:21 AM #7
Geo
Don't Believe The Title
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
Which I don't really understand. If someone was coming from an illegitimate copy of windows, why bother doing the upgrade? The copy they are upgrading to won't be legitimate and will more than likely have the same old restrictions put into place.

What I see happening is people who never planning on paying for it waiting on a crack and upgrading at that point.

I don't really understand either, I can see most of them just upgrading right away and leaving it at that if Microsoft has no plans to deny them features. But Microsoft's main reasoning is to 're-connect' with China in effect because 2/3 of their windows copies are pirated.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo