Post: Android vs. iOS: Why a long time iPhone user is switching
06-21-2012, 10:35 PM #1
Millz
Worth the Weight
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey guys, thought I would post a very in depth explanation of why I feel that Android at this point in time is superior to iOS. Although this is mostly opinion, this thread will use nothing but cold hard facts. I will not have an ounce of bias.

Let us begin:

Usability

There is no doubt about it. iOS is simple. A little too simple. Which can actually amount to some very large problems.

For instance, with a Android based phone (take the S3) the buttons will always be in the same place. There will not be any back buttons scattered about the screen. The button will remain the same at all times. With an iPhone, the single home button causes App developers to do two things:

- Put an back button (lets take the browser for example)
- Waste screen space (On a 3.5 inch phone it does matter)

Now these are all small things, however it does actually contribute to the overall simplicity of Android. Which is often overlooked in situations like this.

Another big thing to note: Google services. Honestly this is a big one nowadays. Everyone uses Google to do things. We all use YouTube, Gmail and Google itself. Not to mention GOOGLE MAPS.

Take YouTube or Google Maps for example, as these are two of the most widely used things.

On Android, the YouTube application is very robust, and contains many more things than the iPhone application does. Here is a screen shot comparing the two:
You must login or register to view this content.You must login or register to view this content.You must login or register to view this content.

I'll let you decide which one is better, but I have a hunch you'll pick Android.

Maps:

Both the Android and iPhone applications include the following things:

-Business listings
-Traffic Reporting
-Compass mode
-Street View
-Driving directions
-Public transport (Gone in iOS 6)

Both also save frequent and recent searches.

Here are things that Android has and iOS doesn't:

-True Navigation (Updates your next turn based on your current location)
-Offline Reliability (You can cache frequently used places so you don't need to jack up data charges)

Lastly, the Android variant has strong integration with Places pages and Hotspot recommendations. You also get access to Mobile labs features, which allows you to try out experimental new features before they are released to the public. Lastly, it has voice search capability.

So as we can see, Android is the clear winner in these two areas. And is definitely something to consider when purchasing that next phone.

Music and Video

Apple may be leading in the music industry, but there are key factors that people forget about Android phones.

1. No software is required to transfer music to your phone. Simply drag and drop. And you're done.
2. Android supports many more formats: MP3, AMR, WMD (Cool Man (aka Tustin), MIDI, WAV, OGG Vorbis, and M4A.
3. Android (depending on which phone) has expandable storage. Which allows you to hold basically infinitely many songs and movies, as you can place in a SD card.
4. Android has a choice of many music player. iPhone only supports one. (iPod)

But we cannot forget the simpleness of the iPhone in this category. The iPhone has iTunes. This allows you to purchase a vast amount of content directly on to your device. That is, if anyone still pays for them.

Oh, also the HTC One X has beats audio. Which is also a plus if you were planning to pick up that beast.

We'll call this round a draw. As both devices have a their pros and cons.

Expansion

There's no doubt about it. Everyone would like to hold HD videos on their phones, however most phones only come with 16Gb-64Gb of storage.

However most android phones have SD card capability which is a huge advantage and it allows you to hold much more than just 64Gb of stuff.

Also, the battery on some Android phones is replaceable. Which is a huge advantage under any circumstances.

There is no doubt about it. Android is clearly superior in this category.

Stability

Ok, this is where the hard core fanboyism comes along and ruins everything. This isn't something that can be backed up by facts. Oh wait:

You must login or register to view this content.

You must login or register to view this content.

Yup, iOS crashes more than Android.

Although these pictures are from a few months back, they still provide a relatively decent explanation of crashes. Granted, Android and iOS both have applications that crash, and older versions of Android are known to crash. However these graphs don't lie. We'll cut Apple some slack though, ICS was not included in these graphs as it was not fully released yet. So we'll call it even at this point.

On the other side, we may have a slightly smoother device, however this is mainly due to the fact that iOS has NO widgets, NO customization. Try Jailbreaking and running a Winterboard theme and see how slow your iDevice gets.

No clear winner, however:

If you like a smooth and customizable device: Android

If you like ultra smooth and that's it (doesn't mean apps or anything launch faster): iOS

Here are some other videos that compare Android vs. iOS

It's a 5 part video. Watch the whole thing.

Multisking

Android does real multitasking, while iOS does "multitasking"

On Android, apps are free to do their thing, for example download things without being interrupted. On iOS if you switch to another app, the app you were on beforehand is frozen.

This is problematic in certain situations. For eg. Facebook.

On an iPhone you would need to leave your Facebook app paused, and when you would come back to it, it would still have the old news feed loaded. Meaning you would have to refresh it over again in order to see your most recent news.

Small things like this really amount to an amazing user experience. At the end of the day, Android is just as simple and easy to use as iOS.

Choice:

On Android you are free to chose whatever device you wish. Hardware keyboard, 4G LTE, expandable storage.

Some devices have mini HDMI etc.

With Apple, you get the same device, with not that much meat on it.

Last but not least: (Granted Flash is dead, so don't bother responding about that)

These are just some of the many reasons I will be most likely picking up an S3 when it hits the shelves in Canada.
Last edited by Millz ; 06-21-2012 at 11:59 PM.

The following user thanked Millz for this useful post:

Dingus98
06-24-2012, 11:02 PM #20
ResistTheMoon
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by badiban View Post
Lol yeah right. Turn by turn navigation has been on Android for a long time now. Backgrounds weren't introduced until iOS 4. My mom's T-Mobile flip-phone had background picture capabilities since 2003 :dumb: Apple's version of multitasking is not true multitasking, and once again, Android has had this for a really long time, and it wasn't introduced to iPhones until iOS 4. Honestly, all Apple really does is take features other phones have had for years and add maybe 1 or 2 useless features (Flyover, just an example), and it makes consumers say, "Let's buy that." Apple fanboys are just to stubborn to accept it. And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I've had an iPhone for 2.5 years, an Android for two years (and is my current phone), and currentley have an iPad.

Badass

Androids hardware doesn't even match the software. That's why it always lags and isn't stable 3/4 of the time. Go compare an HTC Incredible to an iPhone 2 or 3. The iPhone would have less lag and delay as the Incredible would unless you overclock the piece of shit thus reducing the life of it :dumb:

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Lol yeah right. Turn by turn navigation has been on Android for a long time now. Backgrounds weren't introduced until iOS 4. My mom's T-Mobile flip-phone had background picture capabilities since 2003 :dumb: Apple's version of multitasking is not true multitasking, and once again, Android has had this for a really long time, and it wasn't introduced to iPhones until iOS 4. Honestly, all Apple really does is take features other phones have had for years and add maybe 1 or 2 useless features (Flyover, just an example), and it makes consumers say, "Let's buy that." Apple fanboys are just to stubborn to accept it. And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I've had an iPhone for 2.5 years, an Android for two years (and is my current phone), and currentley have an iPad.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

A lot of Android phones come with Tom Tom built in. No one is forced to use Maps.

Go play some CoD and record some shit, like you're suppose to. Non prem fag :dumb:

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

A lot of Android phones come with Tom Tom built in. No one is forced to use Maps.

Are you retarded? :lol:

The following 2 users groaned at ResistTheMoon for this awful post:

badiban, Millz
06-25-2012, 12:16 AM #21
Millz
Worth the Weight
Originally posted by Dudevid View Post
I am a mobile developer, and I create apps for both iOS and Android, and as a consequence I have come to learn both operating systems very well. I very, very slightly prefer iOS, simply because of slicker user experience. Things are simpler, slightly better designed, animations are smoother. iOS allows me to make slicker, better performing apps than Android. There's just an indescribable level of polish to iOS which is slightly lacking on Android. On the other hand, I really appreciate the freedom that Android gives you and the richer feature set. On iOS, iTunes and the process of adding music, videos and photos makes me want to self harm. But user experience slightly tips it over the edge for me.

And I respect your decision wholeheartedly. Use whatever works best for you. I didn't really create this thread in order to start a war between both platforms. To me the reasons that I outlined in my post are extremely important to me in a phone. I just feel that for me Android is superior to iOS for my needs.
06-25-2012, 09:59 AM #22
badiban
YouTube.com/BadiBanHD/
Originally posted by deadmau5 View Post
Androids hardware doesn't even match the software. That's why it always lags and isn't stable 3/4 of the time.

Coming from someone that has never had an Android phone, your statement is invalid. HTC Incredible came out maybe two or three years ago, and is one of the cheaper Android phones, so yes, it probably wouldn't be as good. My phone was around $300, and it kicks ass. It never lags.

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

Go play some CoD and record some shit, like you're suppose to. Non prem fag

Badass
It must be hard to come up with an argument when I'm right.

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

Are you retarded?

|:|
Once again, if you weren't so stubborn, you would listen and understand that a lot of Android phones (mine included) come built in with a Tom Tom GPS app, as well as Google Maps. We can choose which GPS we'd rather use. Personally, I prefer Google Maps, Tom Tom is nice, but Google Maps is just easier to use imo. And you obviously don't have an Android device, so quit commenting on this thread like you actually have a single idea of what you're talking about, kid. :dumb:
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM #23
ResistTheMoon
< ^ > < ^ >
Coming from someone that has never had an Android phone, your statement is invalid. HTC Incredible came out maybe two or three years ago, and is one of the cheaper Android phones, so yes, it probably wouldn't be as good. My phone was around $300, and it kicks ass. It never lags.

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

Badass
It must be hard to come up with an argument when I'm right.

---------- Post added at 04:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

|:|
Once again, if you weren't so stubborn, you would listen and understand that a lot of Android phones (mine included) come built in with a Tom Tom GPS app, as well as Google Maps. We can choose which GPS we'd rather use. Personally, I prefer Google Maps, Tom Tom is nice, but Google Maps is just easier to use imo. And you obviously don't have an Android device, so quit commenting on this thread like you actually have a single idea of what you're talking about, kid. :dumb:

Really? I've owned the original HTC Incredible, rooted it. Had a Galaxy S. Rooted is also, hated both. Did think the original Galaxy was pretty good, but that was back in the time. After a couple months passed, my whole family switch to an iPhone 4. Could've got the 4S but they were sold out Winky Winky The Droid Bionic, had what. A Dual-Core and 1GB RAM? or was it 1.5GB RAM,anyways. It STILL lagged like hell! Plus, your sitting here telling me Android is better yet, look who's the bigger and more successful company. :dumb: Don't tell me this Samsung Galaxy and HTC shit because Apple tops them all. :dumb: APple's market share is gettin wayyy better if you look closely my friend.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

My phone was around $300, and it kicks ass. It never lags.

And from what I can tell, you've never owned an iDevice :dumb: So YOU don't know what you're talking about :dumb:
06-25-2012, 03:10 PM #24
SuperGamecube64
ナンバー1任天堂ファン
I've used iPhone since the iPhone 3G.. I dont see myself switching I now have an iPhone 4s . It does everything and I just generally prefer iOS to Android :P

The following user thanked SuperGamecube64 for this useful post:

ResistTheMoon
06-25-2012, 04:05 PM #25
badiban
YouTube.com/BadiBanHD/
Really? I've owned the original HTC Incredible, rooted it. Had a Galaxy S. Rooted is also, hated both. Did think the original Galaxy was pretty good, but that was back in the time. After a couple months passed, my whole family switch to an iPhone 4. Could've got the 4S but they were sold out Winky Winky The Droid Bionic, had what. A Dual-Core and 1GB RAM? or was it 1.5GB RAM,anyways. It STILL lagged like hell! Plus, your sitting here telling me Android is better yet, look who's the bigger and more successful company. :dumb: Don't tell me this Samsung Galaxy and HTC shit because Apple tops them all. :dumb: APple's market share is gettin wayyy better if you look closely my friend.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

And from what I can tell, you've never owned an iDevice :dumb: So YOU don't know what you're talking about :dumb:

I've had an iPhone 3GS and I own an iPad 2 right now, so yes I do know what I'm talking about. Samsung Galaxy S was a piece of crap, I'll agree with that, and my friend has a Droid, it doesn't lag and it's 2 years old :dumb:

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Plus, your sitting here telling me Android is better yet, look who's the bigger and more successful company.

Most ignorant fucking statement I've ever read. Just because a company is bigger does not mean they sell better products. Besides, Android is activating 750k phones a day, that's huge. Who gives a shit if Apple's marketshare is better, it doesn't mean shit about the quality of the products. People buy iPhones because it's Apple. And I never said Android was better, I love Apple products myself. You pretty much said Android sucked, so I had to come in and make you realize that half your arguments sound stupid and unreasonable :dumb:
06-25-2012, 04:05 PM #26
badiban
YouTube.com/BadiBanHD/
Sorry, double post :(
06-25-2012, 04:19 PM #27
ResistTheMoon
< ^ > < ^ >
I've had an iPhone 3GS and I own an iPad 2 right now, so yes I do know what I'm talking about. Samsung Galaxy S was a piece of crap, I'll agree with that, and my friend has a Droid, it doesn't lag and it's 2 years old :dumb:

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Most ignorant fucking statement I've ever read. Just because a company is bigger does not mean they sell better products. Besides, Android is activating 750k phones a day, that's huge. Who gives a shit if Apple's marketshare is better, it doesn't mean shit about the quality of the products. People buy iPhones because it's Apple. And I never said Android was better, I love Apple products myself. You pretty much said Android sucked, so I had to come in and make you realize that half your arguments sound stupid and unreasonable :dumb:

750k? Did you see how many fucking iDevices got activated this last Christmas? :dumb:

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Sorry, double post :(

3 1/2 million Android devices activated, 4 1/2 iOS devices activated. And if you like Android so much more and think it's so good. Give a true Apple owner your iPad and shit. You don't deserve to posses it. No
06-25-2012, 05:19 PM #28
badiban
YouTube.com/BadiBanHD/
750k? Did you see how many fucking iDevices got activated this last Christmas? :dumb:

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

3 1/2 million Android devices activated, 4 1/2 iOS devices activated. And if you like Android so much more and think it's so good. Give a true Apple owner your iPad and shit. You don't deserve to posses it. No

Just because I like Android doesn't mean I don't like Apple. If you think you can't own both Apple and Android products, you're just another fanboy. :dumb:

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo