THREAD: How to play PS2 games and add Codebreaker codes [DEX]
  1. 04-20-2015, 05:26 PM
    ZackFairFF7X's Avatar
    ZackFairFF7X
    Can’t trickshot me!
    ZackFairFF7X's Avatar
    ZackFairFF7X
    Can’t trickshot me!
    360
    Posts
    2,174
    Reputation
    Aug 2014
    NextGenUpdate
    Hello guys!
    If you're looking how to play your favourite PS2 games with your PS3 DEX, and add in case Codebreaker codes in it, you're in the right place. It's very easy, so let's start Smile

    N.B : I'm using Rebug 4.70 DEX for this tutorial.

    CONTENT YOU NEED!​


    - A PS3 on DEX Firmware ( CEX firmwares support PS2 aswell, but here we are going to use the method for DEX )
    - WinRAR
    - ImgBurn or any ISO writer
    - Your PS2 ISO game
    - Codebreaker pack files You must login or register to view this content.

    Ok, because we are on DEX, ps2 classics method won't work. It only works for CEX. But, Rebug has Cobra Mode, means we can play ISO games.
    So, let's boot Rebug Toolbox first, and let's go here :

    You must login or register to view this content.

    Put Toggle COBRA Mode : Enabled
    Toggle PS2 Emulator : COBRA
    Toggle webMAN : Enabled

    First, we need to create a PS2 Memory Card. You can do it from XMB, on " Utility save data PS2 ". After created, you have to assign it to " Slot 1 ".

    After this, we have to restart ps3, so just reboot it.
    Let's move on PC. We need the ISO of our game so :
    a) If you have a disc game, we can extract the ISO from it. If you follow this, go to a2.
    b) Just search the ISO of your game in internet and download it.

    a2) Ok, we need to extract the ISO from our disc. Just open ImgBurn, and click " Create image file from Disc "

    Put your disc, then select the Source where your disc is placed. You can also edit the destination of the ISO. After that's let's boot it by clicking on the disc icon.
    Then wait till it finishes. Now we should have the ISO placed in the destination we have chosen.

    Now, if you want simply play your game, place the ISO in " dev_hdd0/PS2ISO " on your PS3 with a File Manager, or Filezilla. Then you can mount your game from mmCM or webMAN, and play it.
    If you get a no-signal in your TV, check the settings on Rebug Toolbox, and make sure that PS2 Emulator is set to COBRA.
    If you still have no-signal, you might have to change the resolution. in XMB, go on " Settings ", then " Display settings " and change your video resolution from 1080i/1080p to 720p. Then try again.


    HOW TO ADD CODEBREAKER FILES IN OUR GAME​


    With Codebreaker, you can " mod " the game. You will be able to use various codes for your game.
    Let's right click in our ISO, and choose " Extract to (namefile) " and wait till it finishes.
    Now enter on the main directory of the game : here we have to place three files, that you can get from the Codebreaker pack. The files are :

    BOOT.ELF
    CODEBREAKER V10.ELF
    SYSTEM.CNF


    For SYSTEM.CNF, you will be asked if you wanna replace the file, select yes. Now, rename the " CODEBREAKER V10.ELF " to simply " CODEBREAKER.ELF ".
    Now we have to make our custom ISO. Open ImgBurn, and select " Create image file from files/folders "

    Now, click on " Browse for a folder... " . It's an icon of a folder. Then select the main folder of your game ( the folder where ALL FILES are placed ).
    Select the destination, click on build.

    Now you should get this message :

    You must login or register to view this content.

    Click YES.
    Then you should get another window, where you will be asked to put a name for the volume label. Put no names in ISO9660 and UDF, so like this :

    You must login or register to view this content.

    Click YES, then OK. Just wait.

    When it finished, you always have to put the ISO in dev_hdd0/PS2ISO, mount it and boot it.

    The game now will not boot as normally, it will bring you in a grey window instead. In upper right you should see
    " LaunchELF v4.42b ".
    Your controller will turn off. Plug it with a cable and turn it back on. Then press CIRCLE for enter FileBrowser.
    Move to cdfs :/ and press CIRCLE. Move to CODEBREA.ELF and press CIRCLE.
    Codebreaker program now will load. After it loaded, go on " Select Cheats " and press X. Look for your game, when you are on it, press D-PAD right and enable the codes you want. Then press start. You will be again in the main menu, now press Start Game. It will ask you to insert the disc, press OK and LaunchELF will load again.
    Go again in cdfs :/ and press CIRCLE in " SLUS_XXX.XX ".
    Your game should boot and you will have the codes enabled!!

    N.B = Maybe some games will not work with CODEBREAKER files added on it. It will give you " no signal " as a result.

    If requested, I'll make a video tutorial. Enjoy!
  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZackFairFF7X For This Useful Post:

    , , , , , ,

  3. 04-26-2015, 01:05 AM
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    94
    Posts
    70
    Reputation
    Mar 2013
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by ZackFairFF7X View Post
    Hello guys!
    If you're looking how to play your favourite PS2 games with your PS3 DEX, and add in case Codebreaker codes in it, you're in the right place. It's very easy, so let's start Smile

    N.B : I'm using Rebug 4.70 DEX for this tutorial.

    CONTENT YOU NEED!​


    - A PS3 on DEX Firmware ( CEX firmwares support PS2 aswell, but here we are going to use the method for DEX )
    - WinRAR
    - ImgBurn or any ISO writer
    - Your PS2 ISO game
    - Codebreaker pack files You must login or register to view this content.

    Ok, because we are on DEX, ps2 classics method won't work. It only works for CEX. But, Rebug has Cobra Mode, means we can play ISO games.
    So, let's boot Rebug Toolbox first, and let's go here :

    You must login or register to view this content.

    Put Toggle COBRA Mode : Enabled
    Toggle PS2 Emulator : COBRA
    Toggle webMAN : Enabled

    First, we need to create a PS2 Memory Card. You can do it from XMB, on " Utility save data PS2 ". After created, you have to assign it to " Slot 1 ".

    After this, we have to restart ps3, so just reboot it.
    Let's move on PC. We need the ISO of our game so :
    a) If you have a disc game, we can extract the ISO from it. If you follow this, go to a2.
    b) Just search the ISO of your game in internet and download it.

    a2) Ok, we need to extract the ISO from our disc. Just open ImgBurn, and click " Create image file from Disc "

    Put your disc, then select the Source where your disc is placed. You can also edit the destination of the ISO. After that's let's boot it by clicking on the disc icon.
    Then wait till it finishes. Now we should have the ISO placed in the destination we have chosen.

    Now, if you want simply play your game, place the ISO in " dev_hdd0/PS2ISO " on your PS3 with a File Manager, or Filezilla. Then you can mount your game from mmCM or webMAN, and play it.
    If you get a no-signal in your TV, check the settings on Rebug Toolbox, and make sure that PS2 Emulator is set to COBRA.
    If you still have no-signal, you might have to change the resolution. in XMB, go on " Settings ", then " Display settings " and change your video resolution from 1080i/1080p to 720p. Then try again.


    HOW TO ADD CODEBREAKER FILES IN OUR GAME​


    With Codebreaker, you can " mod " the game. You will be able to use various codes for your game.
    Let's right click in our ISO, and choose " Extract to (namefile) " and wait till it finishes.
    Now enter on the main directory of the game : here we have to place three files, that you can get from the Codebreaker pack. The files are :

    BOOT.ELF
    CODEBREAKER V10.ELF
    SYSTEM.CNF


    For SYSTEM.CNF, you will be asked if you wanna replace the file, select yes. Now, rename the " CODEBREAKER V10.ELF " to simply " CODEBREAKER.ELF ".
    Now we have to make our custom ISO. Open ImgBurn, and select " Create image file from files/folders "

    Now, click on " Browse for a folder... " . It's an icon of a folder. Then select the main folder of your game ( the folder where ALL FILES are placed ).
    Select the destination, click on build.

    Now you should get this message :

    You must login or register to view this content.

    Click YES.
    Then you should get another window, where you will be asked to put a name for the volume label. Put no names in ISO9660 and UDF, so like this :

    You must login or register to view this content.

    Click YES, then OK. Just wait.

    When it finished, you always have to put the ISO in dev_hdd0/PS2ISO, mount it and boot it.

    The game now will not boot as normally, it will bring you in a grey window instead. In upper right you should see
    " LaunchELF v4.42b ".
    Your controller will turn off. Plug it with a cable and turn it back on. Then press CIRCLE for enter FileBrowser.
    Move to cdfs :/ and press CIRCLE. Move to CODEBREA.ELF and press CIRCLE.
    Codebreaker program now will load. After it loaded, go on " Select Cheats " and press X. Look for your game, when you are on it, press D-PAD right and enable the codes you want. Then press start. You will be again in the main menu, now press Start Game. It will ask you to insert the disc, press OK and LaunchELF will load again.
    Go again in cdfs :/ and press CIRCLE in " SLUS_XXX.XX ".
    Your game should boot and you will have the codes enabled!!

    N.B = Maybe some games will not work with CODEBREAKER files added on it. It will give you " no signal " as a result.

    If requested, I'll make a video tutorial. Enjoy!


    ok so I put my Ps2 ISO in dev_hdd0/PS2ISO, after I did that I used WebMAN to mount my Ps2 ISO. After It mounted my Ps2 ISO I could not find the disc on my xmb, how do I play my Ps2 ISO?
  4. 04-26-2015, 01:47 AM
    T0ngan's Avatar
    T0ngan
    Do a barrel roll!
    T0ngan's Avatar
    T0ngan
    Do a barrel roll!
    131
    Posts
    731
    Reputation
    May 2010
    NextGenUpdate
    Try running the ps2 iso through "Ps2 Classic Placeholder", if you don't already have it installed already.
  5. 04-26-2015, 02:04 AM
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    94
    Posts
    70
    Reputation
    Mar 2013
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by T0ngan View Post
    Try running the ps2 iso through "Ps2 Classic Placeholder", if you don't already have it installed already.


    ok ill give it a try
  6. 04-26-2015, 02:42 AM
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    94
    Posts
    70
    Reputation
    Mar 2013
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by T0ngan View Post
    Try running the ps2 iso through "Ps2 Classic Placeholder", if you don't already have it installed already.


    I am confused, I have a ps2 iso that I downloaded from a website, how do I play it?, I am on DEX.
  7. 04-26-2015, 03:09 AM
    T0ngan's Avatar
    T0ngan
    Do a barrel roll!
    T0ngan's Avatar
    T0ngan
    Do a barrel roll!
    131
    Posts
    731
    Reputation
    May 2010
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by subkiller369 View Post
    I am confused, I have a ps2 iso that I downloaded from a website, how do I play it?, I am on DEX.


    Did you read and follow the steps the OP stated, "place the ISO in " dev_hdd0/PS2ISO " on your PS3 with a File Manager, or Filezilla."

    Though he may have used webman, I've used MM(Multi-man) to convert the Ps2 ISO into a Ps2 Classic. Just like loading a back up a ps3 Game on the HDD, same applies to the Ps2 Classic ISO, it will return you back to the XMB, and you should have "Ps2 Classic Placeholder" installed already, and by selecting the app, it will start the game up.

    Though I forgot to mention, you'll need reactPSN to get "Ps2 Classic Placeholder" to work.

    Though THE OP forgot to mention, he probably realised that those who were going to use this method have already an understanding of how to play Ps2 Iso on a Ps3.

    For people who just started out, like yourself, theres so many tutorials out there... so go ahead a read a few.
  8. 04-26-2015, 03:18 AM
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    94
    Posts
    70
    Reputation
    Mar 2013
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by T0ngan View Post
    Did you read and follow the steps the OP stated, "place the ISO in " dev_hdd0/PS2ISO " on your PS3 with a File Manager, or Filezilla."

    Though he may have used webman, I've used MM(Multi-man) to convert the Ps2 ISO into a Ps2 Classic. Just like loading a back up a ps3 Game on the HDD, same applies to the Ps2 Classic ISO, it will return you back to the XMB, and you should have "Ps2 Classic Placeholder" installed already, and by selecting the app, it will start the game up.

    Though I forgot to mention, you'll need reactPSN to get "Ps2 Classic Placeholder" to work.

    Though THE OP forgot to mention, he probably realised that those who were going to use this method have already an understanding of how to play Ps2 Iso on a Ps3.

    For people who just started out, like yourself, theres so many tutorials out there... so go ahead a read a few.


    Do you think you could link me, I would appreciate it thanks.
  9. 04-26-2015, 04:57 AM
    T0ngan's Avatar
    T0ngan
    Do a barrel roll!
    T0ngan's Avatar
    T0ngan
    Do a barrel roll!
    131
    Posts
    731
    Reputation
    May 2010
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by subkiller369 View Post
    Do you think you could link me, I would appreciate it thanks.


    Here's one I used a while back : You must login or register to view this content.

    Though you don't need to read up on about how to dump your ps2 CD to get the ISO, seems like you already got that part down

    Just read the part which specifies you on how to activate "Ps2 classic Placeholder" as well as on how to activate "reactPSN"

    then just do what I said in my previous comments and just let multiman convert the ISO for you once you placed the ps2 iso in the right destination, as it will do everything for you.
  10. 04-26-2015, 08:18 AM
    ZackFairFF7X's Avatar
    ZackFairFF7X
    Can’t trickshot me!
    ZackFairFF7X's Avatar
    ZackFairFF7X
    Can’t trickshot me!
    360
    Posts
    2,174
    Reputation
    Aug 2014
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by subkiller369 View Post
    ok so I put my Ps2 ISO in dev_hdd0/PS2ISO, after I did that I used WebMAN to mount my Ps2 ISO. After It mounted my Ps2 ISO I could not find the disc on my xmb, how do I play my Ps2 ISO?


    What CFW are you on?
    Also if you're on DEX, PS2 Classics method won't work
  11. 04-26-2015, 01:38 PM
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    subkiller369's Avatar
    subkiller369
    Do a barrel roll!
    94
    Posts
    70
    Reputation
    Mar 2013
    NextGenUpdate
    Originally Posted by ZackFairFF7X View Post
    What CFW are you on?
    Also if you're on DEX, PS2 Classics method won't work


    I am on rebug 4.65.2 DEX, I also have MultiMan if needed.
    Last edited by subkiller369 ; 04-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.