Post: Anybody know how long Tomb Raider will be exclusive?
04-05-2015, 07:38 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I liked the Tomb Raider (2013) reboot, and was looking forward to the sequel coming out this year, only to find out a few months ago, that Microsoft bought out exclusive rights to it for Xbox 360/ONE for a limited time. Whilst this is an incredibly stupid move on the developers' part, and will see them to lose money, I was wondering if anybody has an idea of how long the limited exclusive will last, until PS3/PS4 and PC get the game? I really don't understand why they'd want to be restricted to one console. Hell, even Respawn hated the idea of having Titanfall as a Xbox exclusive -- hence why the sequel is for both PS4 and Xbox ONE. If it's competition with Uncharted...that's a stupid reason, considering that Uncharted is now delayed, and 'sides, Uncharted is Sony-Exclusive, and at that, PS4-exclusive, meaning Tomb Raider would've still got sales off of PS3 and PC. And, oh, one thing...I see a lot of games get their content to Xbox first, and then PC/Sony (i.e. CoD, etc.), so is there any games that release to PlayStation first then to other consoles/PC? If this is wrong section, please move. I would put in PS3 Questions and Support, but then I'd never receive a response.

The following user thanked Frosty for this useful post:

PakMan
04-06-2015, 07:16 PM #11
Originally posted by bmob10189 View Post
Lmao those damn wolves was a pain. If I played the PS1 Tomb Raider again yes it prolly would suck, but for it's time it was a great game. Only reason I could think of the Uncharted Trilogy only being a bles is due to most of it's sells was Euro, but that does suck. Oh shît here come the wolves.. FUQ!!

Suffice to say, Tomb Raider, Spyro, Crash, Scooby-Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, and Blasto were the only PS1 games I had. The only PS2 games I played were God of War and TMNT :/ And it took till I was 15 to figure out how to beat Dexter ._.
04-06-2015, 11:37 PM #12
Neo_Angelo
Raiding Girls Panties
I don't get why Sony let one of its main mascots go to its rival, sure its now owned and developed by Square Enix but its like Microsoft and Bungie selling the rights of Halo to Sony, mascot crossovers aren't good, each console needs it best exclusives to sell the console, sell your cash cows and you may as well give up in the console wars.

I was nearly brought to tears when they released Final Fantasy on Xbox, it was like my childhood has been set on fire and pissed on...Wish Square would go back to its roots and be about the games rather than the money, For me Final Fantasy is a franchise only Sony deserves to have, but thats a tale for another time kids.
04-07-2015, 08:32 AM #13
Originally posted by Angelo View Post
I don't get why Sony let one of its main mascots go to its rival, sure its now owned and developed by Square Enix but its like Microsoft and Bungie selling the rights of Halo to Sony, mascot crossovers aren't good, each console needs it best exclusives to sell the console, sell your cash cows and you may as well give up in the console wars.

I was nearly brought to tears when they released Final Fantasy on Xbox, it was like my childhood has been set on fire and pissed on...Wish Square would go back to its roots and be about the games rather than the money, For me Final Fantasy is a franchise only Sony deserves to have, but thats a tale for another time kids.

Damn Microsoft needs to stop being so damn greedy. They're not helping themselves. Most people played Tomb Raider on PlayStation, so a person raised on Xbox might not have the same appreciation for the series. Besides, it hurts the game's developers. They want to get the most sales possible, but limiting to one set of consoles will only kill its chances. Imagine Arkham being an Xbox-exclusive. After some research, some people have speculated they accepted Microsoft's deal in part due to receiving less sales than they hoped for for the 2013 game, despite its commercial success, so they can polish and develop the sequel to the fullest extent. But to its consumers, it'll just label them as sellouts, like the CoD series.
04-09-2015, 09:05 PM #14
Neo_Angelo
Raiding Girls Panties
Originally posted by Frosty
Damn Microsoft needs to stop being so damn greedy. They're not helping themselves. Most people played Tomb Raider on PlayStation, so a person raised on Xbox might not have the same appreciation for the series. Besides, it hurts the game's developers. They want to get the most sales possible, but limiting to one set of consoles will only kill its chances. Imagine Arkham being an Xbox-exclusive. After some research, some people have speculated they accepted Microsoft's deal in part due to receiving less sales than they hoped for for the 2013 game, despite its commercial success, so they can polish and develop the sequel to the fullest extent. But to its consumers, it'll just label them as sellouts, like the CoD series.

That is true, however i don't think limiting yourself to one console is always limiting on sales, take Bloodborne for instance, its PS4 exclusive and is ranked 2nd biggest selling game this year, narrowly missing top spot due to Battlefield hardline which is available on all consoles (that's some feat to almost outperform a game that's huge AND available on both consoles). Game devs need to look at the games their making and who they want to target, Would Bloodborne have done better if it wasn't exclusive? i don't think it would, reason being that if you don't make it exclusive it loses that rarity which can be less appealing, being available on both kinda sends the message that your only in it for the money and its probably half assed and rushed (not all games are but majority of new released games that are available on both consoles seem to be very buggy and not finished, perfect example is Dying light, woulda been a fantastic game if it wasn't plagued with bugs and glitches because they released it before it was completely finished).

Have Microsoft killed Tomb Raider? probably not, but i think it will probably flop being an Xbox exclusive and Greedy Square Enix will probably see the error of their ways and realize that Xbox demography are young kids that all they wanna do is play CoD, Halo and GTA, they aren't interested in those types of games. Ps players tend to be around the 20-30 age group who have played games since the 1980's, who grew up with tomb raider who would buy it not only for the game itself but the nostalgia factor. Thats why re-releases of old games for HD collections do well because old skool gamers like me love re-playing older games because 9/10 times they beat any shit that seems to be released these days, it seems game devs have completely lost all imagination or are trying to palm off half finished, half thought out games for the most and quickest buck. its all greed these days, and the reason they earn so much off half assed games, is because these kids don't know what a good game is if it hit them in the face and will buy it because its got a premium sounding name.

Back in the day, the gamer dictated what the company made as the game devs needed to make good games to stop them going under, which is why final fantasy was such a good game, no look at the aweful crap that square churns out now it earned the big bucks, the new FF's are all beautiful and that, but lack story, depth, meaning, character development and fun. I buy them simply because i hold hope that they will go back to how they were, all about the storytelling and immersion, not the linear A to B crap we see time and again.

TLAwesome faceR: Game devs are too greedy and suck ass.
Last edited by Neo_Angelo ; 04-09-2015 at 09:09 PM.
04-10-2015, 12:55 AM #15
Originally posted by Angelo View Post
That is true, however i don't think limiting yourself to one console is always limiting on sales, take Bloodborne for instance, its PS4 exclusive and is ranked 2nd biggest selling game this year, narrowly missing top spot due to Battlefield hardline which is available on all consoles (that's some feat to almost outperform a game that's huge AND available on both consoles). Game devs need to look at the games their making and who they want to target, Would Bloodborne have done better if it wasn't exclusive? i don't think it would, reason being that if you don't make it exclusive it loses that rarity which can be less appealing, being available on both kinda sends the message that your only in it for the money and its probably half assed and rushed (not all games are but majority of new released games that are available on both consoles seem to be very buggy and not finished, perfect example is Dying light, woulda been a fantastic game if it wasn't plagued with bugs and glitches because they released it before it was completely finished).

Have Microsoft killed Tomb Raider? probably not, but i think it will probably flop being an Xbox exclusive and Greedy Square Enix will probably see the error of their ways and realize that Xbox demography are young kids that all they wanna do is play CoD, Halo and GTA, they aren't interested in those types of games. Ps players tend to be around the 20-30 age group who have played games since the 1980's, who grew up with tomb raider who would buy it not only for the game itself but the nostalgia factor. Thats why re-releases of old games for HD collections do well because old skool gamers like me love re-playing older games because 9/10 times they beat any shit that seems to be released these days, it seems game devs have completely lost all imagination or are trying to palm off half finished, half thought out games for the most and quickest buck. its all greed these days, and the reason they earn so much off half assed games, is because these kids don't know what a good game is if it hit them in the face and will buy it because its got a premium sounding name.

Back in the day, the gamer dictated what the company made as the game devs needed to make good games to stop them going under, which is why final fantasy was such a good game, no look at the aweful crap that square churns out now it earned the big bucks, the new FF's are all beautiful and that, but lack story, depth, meaning, character development and fun. I buy them simply because i hold hope that they will go back to how they were, all about the storytelling and immersion, not the linear A to B crap we see time and again.

TLAwesome faceR: Game devs are too greedy and suck ass.

For that reason, I doubt Spyro would do well on other platforms, since it was a PlayStation user's childhood.
06-23-2015, 09:57 PM #16
Big_Jonny
Rest In Peace
Are you sure isn't an exclusive now? Not timebased?
06-24-2015, 09:30 PM #17
Originally posted by Jonny View Post
Are you sure isn't an exclusive now? Not timebased?

Xbox has a time-exclusive deal, until PC and PS3/PS4 can get the game. The general consensus is that it will be exclusive for 3-5 months.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo