Post: [NEWS] Platform holder is confident in its holiday 2013 launch date
02-25-2013, 12:49 PM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Sony has said it is aware of the challenge Microsoft's impending Xbox 720 reveal presents, but isn't letting the competition dictate its strategy.

Speaking to You must login or register to view this content., Jack Tretton, chief executive officer of SCEA, said the company is confident in that holiday 2013 is the right time to launch its next console regardless of what Microsoft may offer.

"We've always had different competitors, we were in the space before Microsoft and we may be in the space after Microsoft," said Tretton.

"We've seen competitors come and go, I think we're mindful of what we do. Quite frankly we believe that anything that adds attention and success in the gaming industry is good for us. We're aware of our competition but we march to own strategy and we're very confident that holiday 2013 is a great time to bring out PlayStation 4."

In the interview, Tretton was also quizzed on the role that new casual audience will have to play in the PlayStation 4, given that the reveal event was seemingly targeted at the hardcore market.

"There's a lot of the story still to tell," he replied. "We wanted to focus on the games and talk to our gaming audience... The gamers got it, that's who we're talking to."

"I think those [casual] consumers are great, they're additive. They play those bitesized free experiences, those five minute experiences, it demystifies gaming and hopefully they move up the food chain to a dedicated console."

"But if you're a dedicated gamer who plays a console you understand the difference between a tablet and smartphone experience, so I don't see them as a threat. But we recognise that our gamers are very communicative, they're using other devices, and we want to involve them in the PlayStation universe regardless of of where they are or what device they're using."

Although Sony has specified a holiday 2013 release date for the PS4, it qualified this by saying the release would be in "at least" one region this year. The precise details on the You must login or register to view this content. haven't been nailed down.

Developers and other industry professionals have told CVG they expect Microsoft will You must login or register to view this content. for the first time in April.

Ustechs, the company used for mediabriefings such as the E3 2012 press conference, recently registered the domain XboxEvent.com.

You must login or register to view this content.

--------

So its most definitely being released in one region this year, which im my opinion will most probably Japan followed by USA then EU.

Your thoughts on this?
Last edited by xLew-- ; 02-25-2013 at 12:55 PM.
02-25-2013, 06:13 PM #2
japan tends to always come first where PS is involved. So of only one region is getting PS4, americans and Europeans might have to wait till 2014. hopefully not.. anyway i have enough of a backlog on ps3 to last me through next year.
02-25-2013, 06:48 PM #3
Kidd Cold
**** my Toaster !~!
Originally posted by xLew
Sony has said it is aware of the challenge Microsoft's impending Xbox 720 reveal presents, but isn't letting the competition dictate its strategy.

Speaking to You must login or register to view this content., Jack Tretton, chief executive officer of SCEA, said the company is confident in that holiday 2013 is the right time to launch its next console regardless of what Microsoft may offer.

"We've always had different competitors, we were in the space before Microsoft and we may be in the space after Microsoft," said Tretton.

"We've seen competitors come and go, I think we're mindful of what we do. Quite frankly we believe that anything that adds attention and success in the gaming industry is good for us. We're aware of our competition but we march to own strategy and we're very confident that holiday 2013 is a great time to bring out PlayStation 4."

In the interview, Tretton was also quizzed on the role that new casual audience will have to play in the PlayStation 4, given that the reveal event was seemingly targeted at the hardcore market.

"There's a lot of the story still to tell," he replied. "We wanted to focus on the games and talk to our gaming audience... The gamers got it, that's who we're talking to."

"I think those [casual] consumers are great, they're additive. They play those bitesized free experiences, those five minute experiences, it demystifies gaming and hopefully they move up the food chain to a dedicated console."

"But if you're a dedicated gamer who plays a console you understand the difference between a tablet and smartphone experience, so I don't see them as a threat. But we recognise that our gamers are very communicative, they're using other devices, and we want to involve them in the PlayStation universe regardless of of where they are or what device they're using."

Although Sony has specified a holiday 2013 release date for the PS4, it qualified this by saying the release would be in "at least" one region this year. The precise details on the You must login or register to view this content. haven't been nailed down.

Developers and other industry professionals have told CVG they expect Microsoft will You must login or register to view this content. for the first time in April.

Ustechs, the company used for mediabriefings such as the E3 2012 press conference, recently registered the domain XboxEvent.com.

You must login or register to view this content.

--------

So its most definitely being released in one region this year, which im my opinion will most probably Japan followed by USA then EU.

Your thoughts on this?

I do not like this one region BS... And I do not understand why Europe is often given the shaft on these kind of things?! Could someone explain or maybe it's because the United states is 100-127 Volts @ 60Hz Japan is 100-127 Volts @ 50Hz and 60Hz where as Europe is 220-240 Volts @ 50Hz ( according to You must login or register to view this content. ).
02-25-2013, 07:45 PM #4
JP
Israeli/Palestinian Unity
Europe better get it the same time. Sony shouldn't worry about the 720, they should worry about the Steambox more.
02-25-2013, 07:53 PM #5
Hadenkin
< ^ > < ^ >
Maybe it's because of the consumers...or because Sony Corporation is a Japanese company and they release their product in the country where the Main HQ is. I like the quote of "There's a lot of the story still to tell" it lets me think there are more awesome news to come. Hehe.
02-25-2013, 10:26 PM #6
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by Kidd
I do not like this one region BS... And I do not understand why Europe is often given the shaft on these kind of things?! Could someone explain or maybe it's because the United states is 100-127 Volts @ 60Hz Japan is 100-127 Volts @ 50Hz and 60Hz where as Europe is 220-240 Volts @ 50Hz ( according to You must login or register to view this content. ).

i think its to do with the amount of languages EU has

Originally posted by Hadenkin View Post
Maybe it's because of the consumers...or because Sony Corporation is a Japanese company and they release their product in the country where the Main HQ is. I like the quote of "There's a lot of the story still to tell" it lets me think there are more awesome news to come. Hehe.

more than likely as its their product to its only right to release it there first
02-25-2013, 10:37 PM #7
they should just worry about the ps4, not anything else
02-26-2013, 01:18 AM #8
chagy7
Keeper
I can't wait to see what is in store for ps4 should be awesome hopefully it's not another year before we ever see it.
03-01-2013, 11:00 AM #9
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by chagy7 View Post
I can't wait to see what is in store for ps4 should be awesome hopefully it's not another year before we ever see it.

well its definately coming to one region this year, so we will see everything there is to see via the internet, i just hope like everyone else its a global release so everyone gets its roughly the same time

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo