Post: [Rumor] PlayStation 4 developers have access to 7 GB RAM
04-12-2013, 09:26 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Rumor

The PlayStation 4 will ship with a massive 8 GB of GDDR5 memory, which is a huge upgrade compared to the current generation consoles. However, according to a PlayStation 4 developer PS4Daily spoke to, they have access to “only” 7 GB of RAM. The remaining 1 GB is reserved for the operating system and background tasks.

You must login or register to view this content.

Sony showcased a lot of PlayStation 4 features during the unveiling in February. This includes deep social features running in the background, new sharing options where players can watch each other play, and background downloading of games. All this chews up quite a bit of memory. Still, having access to 7 GB of super-fast GDDR5 memory is a lot better than the 512 MB in the PS3.

Sony originally shipped dev kits to third party developers with only 4 GB RAM, and You must login or register to view this content. from third party developers in order to keep it secret from Microsoft as well. Developers learned about the 8 GB of memory when the rest of the world did — during the February unveiling.

In addition to 8 GB of RAM, the PlayStation 4 sports an 8 core CPU and a GPU with 18 compute units, both part of the same APU package You must login or register to view this content.. Sony worked close with developers to give them a console that’s tailored for games. Sony interviewed major game engine makers such as Epic (Unreal Engine 4), CryTek (CryEngine 3), and Id Software (Id Tech 5), asking them what they wanted out of next generation consoles. Overall, Sony You must login or register to view this content. to create a console that made it easy to create games.

When it comes to large operating systems taking up a lot of RAM, Sony isn’t alone. Nintendo did something similar with the Wii U. The Wii U ships with 2 GB or RAM, but half of it — 1 GB — is allocated to the operating system itself. As console makers add more and more features, they need more and more memory to run those features. Microsoft is even rumored to include advanced DVR functionality in the upcoming Xbox 720, which will no doubt require copious amounts of RAM.

Sony is expected to reveal more PlayStation 4 details at E3 in June. We’re also hearing that this is when some of the NDAs will be lifted, where developers will be more free to talk about the specifics of the new console.

You must login or register to view this content.

The following user thanked xLew-- for this useful post:

crazy_demon_01

The following user groaned xLew-- for this awful post:

Toke
04-13-2013, 10:23 PM #11
ohh, did not know this. cool thanx
04-13-2013, 10:38 PM #12
Originally posted by Toke View Post
8gb of graphics memory i 100000% doubt this because a $1000 graphics card only has 6 at most and a os will run like shit on gddr5 ram

im seriously thinking your an idiot with this comment gddr5 is based off ddr3 for one. gddr5 was designed for applications or games in ps4's need for high bandwidth and fast access of this data the I/O speeds are faster then ddr3 at the same voltage and they will push more data through now add this into the fact its using an apu lets not even get started on why unified gddr5 is a great idea for this ... the os runs like shit let me quote something for you
"The GDDR5 interface transfers two per 32-bit write clock (WCK) cycle to/from the I/O pins. Corresponding to the 8n-prefetch, a single write or read access consists of a 256-bit wide two CK clock cycle data transfer at the internal memory core and eight corresponding 32-bit wide one-half WCK clock cycle data transfers at the I/O pins."

prefetch helps to require the data it needs to load what ever is in the memory

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Originally posted by Anakata View Post
It's x86-x64 :p

its a 64bit os/cpu games clients are made in 32bit for compatibility
04-14-2013, 09:37 PM #13
xLew--
Former Staff
8gb of graphics memory i 100000% doubt this because a $1000 graphics card only has 6 at most and a os will run like shit on gddr5 ram

its already confirmed the ps4 will ship with 8gb of gddr5 memory...
04-15-2013, 08:10 PM #14
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by xLew
its already confirmed the ps4 will ship with 8gb of gddr5 memory...

will still be slow and laggy on that ram
04-15-2013, 09:18 PM #15
xLew--
Former Staff
only time will tell Smile
04-15-2013, 10:25 PM #16

Yup. I've thought it for a while but you're officially an idiot.

8GB of GDDR5 RAM, Considering most high end gaming PCs use DDR3 RAM, this is not "shit".
04-15-2013, 10:34 PM #17
Meatwad
Meatman
Originally posted by FlyingIrishMan View Post
Yup. I've thought it for a while but you're officially an idiot.

8GB of GDDR5 RAM, Considering most high end gaming PCs use DDR3 RAM, this is not "shit".

You need to take into consideration high end gaming PCs only use DDR3 because there are no really defined standards for DDR4 and above (plus considering GPUs use GDDR5.) And apparently Haswell-E will accept those standards. My gaming computer doesn't need any higher than DDR3 as RAM because it is fast enough to the point where you will not see any gains in FPS and will only see improvement in synthetic benchmarks. That being said, with APU based systems (which the PS4 is,) you will see fast improvements in terms of raw performance will the higher clocked RAM because the CPU and GPU will share the same ram. This just makes the PS4 that much more powerful.
04-16-2013, 12:15 AM #18
Originally posted by Meatwad View Post
You need to take into consideration high end gaming PCs only use DDR3 because there are no really defined standards for DDR4 and above (plus considering GPUs use GDDR5.) And apparently Haswell-E will accept those standards. My gaming computer doesn't need any higher than DDR3 as RAM because it is fast enough to the point where you will not see any gains in FPS and will only see improvement in synthetic benchmarks. That being said, with APU based systems (which the PS4 is,) you will see fast improvements in terms of raw performance will the higher clocked RAM because the CPU and GPU will share the same ram. This just makes the PS4 that much more powerful.

Yeah. I know completely that DDR3 is at the current standard enough I wasn't saying it wasn't. I was more saying that the fact that high end PCs do use this as the top standard, and that PS4 will be using even better RAM just shows that its not "shit".
04-16-2013, 01:36 AM #19
will still be slow and laggy on that ram

your such a dumb mother fucker

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Originally posted by Meatwad View Post
ddr4 is already made its expansive to produce atm thats why its not on the market yet , wont be till almost 2015 gddr5 can produce the same data size in a fraction of the time ddr3 will its also made for double float values how games render things so its going to be way faster then using ddr3 also again the os being slow makes no since if its loading the files before ddr3 would ?!@? am only one asking why we applaud this jackass toke for "being computer savy"

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo