Post: Building a Login System for you all. What would you like to see?
12-30-2015, 09:37 AM #1
CyberNomadic
Web Developer
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hello Everyone,
Lately I've been seeing quite a few Login Systems floating around here and most of them are either poorly developed and/or insecure. Due to this potentially putting other users at risk, I thought I'd go and make a login system for you all that I will release and you will have full permission to edit + modify. Not that any of you would ask for permission, but you catch my drift.
So, what are some features that you would like to see in it? Don't say crazily stupid things or features that aren't really needed (A shoutbox is pretty pointless in my opinion.). I've been doing web development for around 3 years now and I know that I can build something that all of you will be able to enjoy and not have to worry about when it comes to security.
Thanks, CyberNomadic

Checklist:

• Login Class - Completed
  • HTML - Bootstrap templated picked out (Free not pirated)
  • Sql - Started
  • Registration - Started
  • Admin Panel - Not started (Backend)
  • Login - Not Started

Should it have permissions? (Moderator, User, Admin) Give me input.
Reason I chose to use Bootstrap is its something you all should be familiar with. That way you can edit the CSS to your liking.

This will be a combination of PDO, OOP (Class based). However, I don't intend on this being 100% OOP as most of you do not know how to edit it. So, I'll throw in there some "garage code" if you will.
Last edited by CyberNomadic ; 01-16-2016 at 04:42 AM.

The following 3 users say thank you to CyberNomadic for this useful post:

Boliberrys, Specter, Jon Snow
12-30-2015, 02:46 PM #2
Specter
Pro Memer
Originally posted by CyberNomadic View Post
Hello Everyone,
Lately I've been seeing quite a few Login Systems floating around here and most of them are either poorly developed and/or insecure. Due to this potentially putting other users at risk, I thought I'd go and make a login system for you all that I will release and you will have full permission to edit + modify. Not that any of you would ask for permission, but you catch my drift.
So, what are some features that you would like to see in it? Don't say crazily stupid things or features that aren't really needed (A shoutbox is pretty pointless in my opinion.). I've been doing web development for around 3 years now and I know that I can build something that all of you will be able to enjoy and not have to worry about when it comes to security.
Thanks, CyberNomadic

Checklist:

• Sql - Not Started
  • Registration - Started
  • Login - Not Started

Reason I chose to use Bootstrap is its something you all should be familiar with. That way you can edit the CSS to your liking.

This will be a combination of PDO, OOP (Class based). However, I don't intend on this being 100% OOP as most of you do not know how to edit it. So, I'll throw in there some "garage code" if you will.

Very cool, I used to work with PHP and kind of miss it, oh well I may go back to it someday. In my opinion OOP is the most easy to edit and keeps things nice and organized, and OOP for PHP isn't too hard of a concept for newbies to grasp, there's plenty of online resources as well.

As for suggestions, I'd suggest having a fairly secure db class (although you mentioned prepared statements so it looks like you have that), and a decent hash method for things like passwords (for some reason a lot of people use the incredibly insecure MD5, would be nice to see something more secure =D). I'd love to help out on this if you ever need it.
12-30-2015, 09:19 PM #3
Passion
League Champion
Hello Everyone,
Thanks, CyberNomadic

Checklist:

• Sql - Not Started
  • Registration - Started
  • Login - Not Started

Forum (Small one, able to post threads, reply)
AdminCP, StaffCP,
Admin able to delete/ban users.
Staff is able to give temporarily bans.
Blowfish for passwords + salt

Good luck! Awesome face
12-31-2015, 04:51 AM #4
Specter
Pro Memer
Originally posted by Passion View Post
AdminCP, StaffCP,

Good luck! Awesome face

Admin control panel and user management would be cool, a forum might be a little much, I think he's just talking about a simple login system. Blowfish is an encryption algorithm not a hash method though, when you're dealing with passwords if you can you'd rather one-way hash it.
12-31-2015, 09:48 AM #5
Dan
I'm a god.
Originally posted by Specter View Post
Very cool, I used to work with PHP and kind of miss it, oh well I may go back to it someday. In my opinion OOP is the most easy to edit and keeps things nice and organized, and OOP for PHP isn't too hard of a concept for newbies to grasp, there's plenty of online resources as well.

As for suggestions, I'd suggest having a fairly secure db class (although you mentioned prepared statements so it looks like you have that), and a decent hash method for things like passwords (for some reason a lot of people use the incredibly insecure MD5, would be nice to see something more secure =D). I'd love to help out on this if you ever need it.

The password function in PHP is the recommended, most use You must login or register to view this content. probably because they don't even know about You must login or register to view this content.. Some people don't take their time and go into depth with learning PHP.

AdminCP, StaffCP,

Good luck! Awesome face

That's what is good about the password_hash() function, it takes "CRYPT_BLOWFISH" as a constant, you can also set a salt, but it will do it automatically for you. You can set a salt like the following:

$salt = [
'salt' => 'salt here',
];

So to create your hashed password, you'd want to do:

password_hash('password', PASSWORD_BCRYPT);

Or with a salt:

$salt = [
'salt' => 'salt here',
];
password_hash('password', PASSWORD_BCRYPT, $salt);

I'm honestly not familiar with the "cost", so there's nothing I can do to explain it.
Last edited by Dan ; 12-31-2015 at 09:57 AM.
12-31-2015, 09:48 AM #6
Passion
League Champion
Originally posted by Specter View Post
Admin control panel and user management would be cool, a forum might be a little much, I think he's just talking about a simple login system. Blowfish is an encryption algorithm not a hash method though, when you're dealing with passwords if you can you'd rather one-way hash it.

I use blowfish for my passwords Kappa
12-31-2015, 03:09 PM #7
Specter
Pro Memer
I use blowfish for my passwords Kappa

Yeah the one way hash of blowfish if I remember correctly is bcrypt, maybe you're thinking of that =D
01-03-2016, 04:50 AM #8
Devious
Treasure hunter
Perhaps a good design for the login maybe once a guest visits the site the login pops up with a choice to sign in or not
Like the rest of the screen is blurry except the login until they chose to exit or sign in

The following user thanked Devious for this useful post:

brooklyn77
01-03-2016, 03:41 PM #9
Hello Everyone,
Thanks, CyberNomadic

Checklist:

• Sql - Not Started
  • Registration - Started
  • Login - Not Started

I liked your idea!!
01-08-2016, 12:03 PM #10
Adrian
Adrian is back!
Hello Everyone,
Thanks, CyberNomadic

Checklist:

• Sql - Not Started
  • Registration - Started
  • Login - Not Started

Thread has been moved to Computer Programming Inquiries.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo