02-23-2011, 01:02 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); ive seen people on ngu that either studied software or have degrees in it or something. i just wanna know how hard it is to study and understand coding and things. some say when you make a career out of it, you start off as a coder. ive heard its pretty hard to do too.

cfw for the ps3 is what got me interested and i have acouple questions about it.
obviously its alot harder to make cfw than i thought and the process takes knowing code well and knowing what to do. and it seems like its not something you learn by messing with it. seems like you gotta study to really understand it all. so how hard is it to really understand all of it fully and know how to code and edit things like ps3 fw?

and cfw seems like just unlocking things and being able to put a folder in that lets you install things like ftp severs and back up managers. clearly the keys are hard to get past especially for the 3.56 but after you get past them, how hard is is to put the folder in and pack everything back and not have any bugs?

this stuff seems alot harder than i thought and from what ive heard it goes farther than just hex editing. people say its simple but im not that retarded. i know theres some software engineers on here so if any of you want, reply to this and explain some of this. not counting i need posts to get to reply to other forums like the thread for the 3.56 cfw clearly. rep would be great.
Last edited by Spawn500x ; 02-23-2011 at 01:04 AM.
02-23-2011, 02:15 AM #2
Kombust
At least I can fight
I dont have any degrees or studies but i can tell you now that it is like learning a different language but with basic words, strings and few symbols everywhere ( {,},-,=,;,:,")

If i was you I'd recommend starting by learning just basic html then move to php and then maybe javascript then whatever takes your liking.

Quote me if you need some more info :y:

The following user thanked Kombust for this useful post:

Spawn500x
02-23-2011, 02:18 AM #3
3arc
Meow.
If you know nothing, in my opinion: HTML -> PHP -> JavaScript -> C++. Then whatever else, like Objective-C.
02-23-2011, 02:58 AM #4
Originally posted by 3arc View Post
If you know nothing, in my opinion: HTML -> PHP -> JavaScript -> C++. Then whatever else, like Objective-C.

i mean i know common sense stuff. how to edit patches via hex and edit with the notepad. i know what to mess with and what not to mess with. where to edit in the Self iPrint spots. banners, shiz like that. ya know. co host stuff, just the little stuff. id like to know how to make CL's and develope CFW. i figured going to school and stuff would help. im not just doing it to eff w/ sony. i actually am interested in coding and developing games and shiz. see i wouldnt even know how to learn. im the noob that needs instructions Cool Man (aka Tustin) thanks for the advice. didnt think anyone would really respond to this. how did you guys figure out html and C++ and all? C++ is what elite mossy uses right? or is that all patch format?
02-23-2011, 05:57 AM #5
3arc
Meow.
Originally posted by Spawn500x View Post
i mean i know common sense stuff. how to edit patches via hex and edit with the notepad. i know what to mess with and what not to mess with. where to edit in the Self iPrint spots. banners, shiz like that. ya know. co host stuff, just the little stuff. id like to know how to make CL's and develope CFW. i figured going to school and stuff would help. im not just doing it to eff w/ sony. i actually am interested in coding and developing games and shiz. see i wouldnt even know how to learn. im the noob that needs instructions Cool Man (aka Tustin) thanks for the advice. didnt think anyone would really respond to this. how did you guys figure out html and C++ and all? C++ is what elite mossy uses right? or is that all patch format?

The language MW2 patches is (i think) called GSC and is used in call of duty games. C++ is very similar, but there are a few differences. The reason i said C++ is that GSC is so much similar you could learn it if you know C++. HTML is a no-brainer, and is good to learn what programming is like. If you would like to try C++ look here: You must login or register to view this content..

The following user thanked 3arc for this useful post:

Spawn500x
02-23-2011, 09:36 PM #6
bmxdude9
Million Miles Of Fun!

Well I mean unless you REALLY want to learn this stuff then don't bother spending loads of money and going to school just to learn how to "hack" a PS3 or another console, that stuff can be learned by reading and researching the architecture and used syntax(C/C++ mostly) by reading ACTUAL books(doesn't matter if its an ebook as long as its by a legit person... e.g. "Let Us C") on the topic.

When you go to college they are not going to teach you everything how to "hack" a ps3 or anything of the like, won't even really teach you about exploits... they'll teach you how to prevent them in coding and how to deal with them such as buffer overflows in ASM but they are not really going to teach you how to find them.

Speaking of which if you study or learn this stuff it is going to be for CPU's and PC's not consoles and stuff your interested in. IMO thats the best way to start as how many books are there for 'C on the PS3'? None. PC? TONS!

Also most people who hack devices/consoles; not just the PS3, usually work in some Computer Science field BUT if you have a real interest for exploiting, hacking etc then I could point you in a solid direction for that. In which case if security and hacking is your interest take up IT security or become a certified pentester and learn languages such as Perl, Ruby, Python, C or C++, PHP, x86 and whatever else you want(don't need to learn them all).

Study for what you want to do and enjoy, don't waste your time if your not willing to. Can always become a hobbyist like myself and know quite a bit(not script kiddie) while never formally going to school to study.

IMO:

PHP(skip html if you want) -> Perl / Python(learn well, after this point and reading a few solid books and having a good understanding learning C wont be so hard) - > C(reason? if your going to write patches, exploits, payloads learn this... will run on any system*might require ports unlike perl/python* but will NOT require anything extra) C would be better as you'll mostly be working with low level code. You can pretty much do anything in C anyways.

After that if you want learn ASM such as x86(most common) or ARM.

Good luck! If you need anything else let me know.

The following user thanked bmxdude9 for this useful post:

Spawn500x
02-23-2011, 10:06 PM #7
thanks! yeah id really like to know how to write patches such as mw2 patches for my own enjoyment and everyone elses. mostly here. now that ive found a great site with people who know what theyre doing and arent being d*cks about things, whenever i get to the stage where i can make my own patches or cfw or things ill post them here for everyone on this websites enjoyment. im not selfish at all.
thanks to what you said ima take your advice and read acouple books on it and see what i get. mostly study hacking basically and code and see just see how complex the languages are. seems to be alota steps. im dedicated to it, i just need to know where to start on book choice. message me if you want or just post it idc.
when it comes to learning to hack, i was planning on doing what you're suggesting first and learning all the things i can w/o school. when i cant learn anymore from books, ill go to school for software studies and things and work for someone like blizzard. reason for that is to get a better comprehension on how they make and code games that way i can literally have first hand experience on what im doing and know how most game developers do things. but knowing how to hack first is my main objective. i got one or 2 questions though. how long and how difficult is it to comprehend all of the code like PHP and C++(what im really wantin to learn) and being able to use it like a 2nd language? you can message me about it if you want or just post reply idc. either or. doesnt mattter.
02-23-2011, 10:26 PM #8
bmxdude9
Million Miles Of Fun!
thanks! yeah id really like to know how to write patches such as mw2 patches for my own enjoyment and everyone elses. mostly here. now that ive found a great site with people who know what theyre doing and arent being d*cks about things, whenever i get to the stage where i can make my own patches or cfw or things ill post them here for everyone on this websites enjoyment. im not selfish at all.
thanks to what you said ima take your advice and read acouple books on it and see what i get. mostly study hacking basically and code and see just see how complex the languages are. seems to be alota steps. im dedicated to it, i just need to know where to start on book choice. message me if you want or just post it idc.
when it comes to learning to hack, i was planning on doing what you're suggesting first and learning all the things i can w/o school. when i cant learn anymore from books, ill go to school for software studies and things and work for someone like blizzard. reason for that is to get a better comprehension on how they make and code games that way i can literally have first hand experience on what im doing and know how most game developers do things. but knowing how to hack first is my main objective. i got one or 2 questions though. how long and how difficult is it to comprehend all of the code like PHP and C++(what im really wantin to learn) and being able to use it like a 2nd language? you can message me about it if you want or just post reply idc. either or. doesnt mattter.

I know only of a few books but thats because they are pretty high quality and can teach you a lot if you follow them and practice. PHP and python IF you take the time to read(and not just skim, but be able to repeat everything without looking) and also stay consistent you could become pretty damn good at them in a few months. Don't go trying to learn a bunch of other stuff at the same time though, will only slow you down.

For Python I would suggest byte of python and for C, Let Us C. Both are pretty great books in themselves. It might seem a little odd to read both as they will both cover the basics, if statements, printing, arguments etc but in each syntax they are different and so forth. Python won't necessarily help you hack MW2 but its a GREAT language to start with and will help you understand. Python could be used if you used linux on the PS3 though, great language to learn. As for that C book its also great for learning the language.

Yeah but if you stick with it and practice and really have an interest learning it shouldn't take that long. Some of it might be harder to grasp as when I started(due to the PSP around in 05'Winky Winky I already understood basically what buffer overflows were, other types of exploits, basic math so I already understood some basic concepts, shouldn't be too hard though.

If you don't understand a word just Google it or ask, same with any concept.

The following user thanked bmxdude9 for this useful post:

Spawn500x
02-24-2011, 07:17 PM #9
x-MaGiiKZz-o
Who’s Jim Erased?
Ok, I just started learning HTML, I can make bassic web pages, but I'm also learning C++ at same time, can do very basic windows programms in that
02-24-2011, 07:36 PM #10
ive seen people on ngu that either studied software or have degrees in it or something. i just wanna know how hard it is to study and understand coding and things. some say when you make a career out of it, you start off as a coder. ive heard its pretty hard to do too.

cfw for the ps3 is what got me interested and i have acouple questions about it.
obviously its alot harder to make cfw than i thought and the process takes knowing code well and knowing what to do. and it seems like its not something you learn by messing with it. seems like you gotta study to really understand it all. so how hard is it to really understand all of it fully and know how to code and edit things like ps3 fw?

and cfw seems like just unlocking things and being able to put a folder in that lets you install things like ftp severs and back up managers. clearly the keys are hard to get past especially for the 3.56 but after you get past them, how hard is is to put the folder in and pack everything back and not have any bugs?

this stuff seems alot harder than i thought and from what ive heard it goes farther than just hex editing. people say its simple but im not that retarded. i know theres some software engineers on here so if any of you want, reply to this and explain some of this. not counting i need posts to get to reply to other forums like the thread for the 3.56 cfw clearly. rep would be great.

Btw, there is an annoying difference between coding and programming, coding is for scripts, programming is for programs. Drinking Coffee - Also VB is for 7 year olds (Although VB can be used well).

If your smart, just jump right in with learning JavaScript and C++.

Also if your starting keep in mind, there is a big difference between knowing a language, and KNOWING a language. what i mean is, some one may know C++ syntax, might be able to write a program, but really they don't know what there doing, they just know it works, these situations are not good in programing, how will you fix it if it goes wrong?

The following user thanked TheUberFail for this useful post:

Spawn500x

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo