Post: How to use ANY ps3 hdd in your ps3 without formatting
02-07-2011, 06:11 PM #1
santino
Are you high?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); ok i am gonna show you how to make ANY ps3 harddrive work in your ps3 without formatting it so you dont loose info on it. this is great for someone who got a new ps3 and wants to use their old hdd in it.

Here is another way to do it. If YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THIS METHOD TELL ME ILL HELP THE BEST I CAN THIS SHOULD WORK. I HAVE TESTED ON MULTIPLE CONSOLES. put your real hdd in the system and go into the system restore menu (hold power until turns on and off, then hold again until two beeps) then have nothing else in your console usb wise and then go to system update and press start and select then change your hdd and let it go for a couple of seconds.. then shut the system off and turn it on again with the new hdd still in it and the hdd will work!!

hdd seagate - toshiba now
firmware 3.41 - 3.55 now
60gb - 500 gb now [/COLOR]

AND UR DONE Claps
Last edited by santino ; 05-26-2011 at 04:35 PM.

The following 53 users say thank you to santino for this useful post:

-Google-, -O-Z-Z-A-8-8-, .DiGiTaLTwO., aBoss, Amir-Habeeb, ASH_209, Asmel, Axiom, bluer105, clankfan1, cluckin bell, Dante., dealer_pt, DEREKTROTTER, Docko412, forcer911, galacticboy2009, Geordie4life2, GetDeleted -_-, GodDrinksPepsi, gusbus20, HIvkid, ItsBarryBurton, kmax102, Liam, Martinez_LJC, mieko, Norman, oI xPozeD Io, pop33, PUDDIN_BOLLOX, PWW_Commander, s0ph0r, sithxnew, Solid Snake, St0rM, stuartlittle98, STyLe_JapaN, ThePaaqoHD, theycallmeryan, TMAN242, tsuma, w8t4it, Waterguy469, xCristian, xHaydeennn, xHeAVeN, xTh3-J0k3R, Xx-NukeClan-xX, xzxero, yankeefan09ws, User2340034u
03-21-2011, 08:15 AM #56
Default Avatar
blarg43
So with this method you're saying you swap hdds between ps3s?
You do realize this of course wouldn't work for that.
You must login or register to view this content.
Read that. The ata encryption/decryption key is unique to each ps3, but not to each hdd formatted by the ps3. That's why you can have 2 hdds for one ps3 as long as they're on the same firmware.
Sure you can edit the registry to say it's the right hdd, but if it's from a different ps3 it is encrypted with a different ata key, it won't be decrypted by the wrong key. The registry will not touch the area where the ata key is, so you cannot affect it by doing this.
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM #57
Hey thanks for this, now I know what to do with my hd if ps3 goes dead
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM #58
santino
Are you high?
Originally posted by blarg43 View Post
So with this method you're saying you swap hdds between ps3s?
You do realize this of course wouldn't work for that.
You must login or register to view this content.
Read that. The ata encryption/decryption key is unique to each ps3, but not to each hdd formatted by the ps3. That's why you can have 2 hdds for one ps3 as long as they're on the same firmware.
Sure you can edit the registry to say it's the right hdd, but if it's from a different ps3 it is encrypted with a different ata key, it won't be decrypted by the wrong key. The registry will not touch the area where the ata key is, so you cannot affect it by doing this.

OK well when my video goes up tell me that ok..... it works and i personally use this method.... if people say its fake then aww well i dont post fake shit and i dont plan on it..... and not to be mean but you only have one post and thats this..... really cant believe that... i mean you sound smart.. but this works....
03-21-2011, 01:18 PM #59
Im going to wait for more people to confirm this works
03-21-2011, 02:11 PM #60
yeah, after trying both methods with no success

im defitnly gonna wait for the video before i try some more
03-21-2011, 08:30 PM #61
santino
Are you high?
thats fine please wait so you know exactly what i am doing i will post tonight when i am out of work
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM #62
I change serialhdd make restore in xreg and my original disk still works.
So I again make backup xRegistry.sys and i check and serialhdd stil orginial... (toshiba no segate) why?
I think restore in xreg not working

-edit
i copy new xregistry.sys by FTP without effect! after reboot i have oryginal serial hddserial
WTF?!
Last edited by keraMssj2 ; 03-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.
03-21-2011, 11:18 PM #63
Niether method works for me...
Method 1 = not changing reg.sys on PS3
Method 2 = still asks me to reformat the other hdd
Both Hdd are the same Model # and just the serial numbers are different.

*UPDATE*
OK... changed the sys.reg, I restored the sys.reg by pressing START, once it finished I pressed START again, Then I Pressed SELECT to back it up and I checked it on the computer and it changed to the new hdd..... Restarting now to see if it worked... Im thinking it will restart and change it back, and it did change back :(
Last edited by astewart80 ; 03-22-2011 at 02:41 AM.
03-23-2011, 04:07 AM #64
Default Avatar
blarg43
What does that video prove? I can make a video exactly the same because I have two hdds formatted for my ps3. It in no way proves you can swap ps3 hdds between systems.
What I said in my previous post still fits. Hdds from other consoles will be encrypted with a different key, and cannot be decrypted by another console with a different ata key. It is as simple as that.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo