04-25-2015, 12:44 AM #1
SlimShadyXV-
League Champion
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey NGU, my ps3 broke 2 years ago and i sent it to a place to fix it around 2 weeks ago. My dad called to see whats taking so long and they said they cant figure out whats wrong to fix it. So my dad is picking up my ps3 tomorrow, or monday and ima probably trade it at gamestop. I wanna use the same harddrive since it is 600gb. I heard that if you get a new system you have to "reformat" it if you wanna use the same old harddrive? I dont know how to do this and dont know what it means haha, since i know literally the bare minimum of hardware and stuff for electronics. If i could do it myself instead of sending it to someone else, that will be a big money saver. Thanks Smile
Last edited by SlimShadyXV- ; 04-27-2015 at 09:34 PM.
04-28-2015, 11:27 PM #20
Originally posted by seanhellen View Post
Ah. Fair enough...thats my theory out the window lol Smile sorry

Yeah. Used flux, heat gun and new thermal paste. Started out once a month then ended up being twice a week so gave up lol. Although it is possible i lost a small pad or 2 from the smaller chips so that prob didnt help Smile

heatgun method is unreliable at best and destructive at worst.

it should be common knowledge by now, considering that most forums have a sticky post about how to fix ylod, that oven bake method has the greatest success, most people have 100% success rate with this method and in most cases the fix is permanent.

- a lost thermal pad has to be replaced there is no working without it.
Last edited by privateuser3250 ; 04-28-2015 at 11:49 PM.
04-28-2015, 11:28 PM #21
Originally posted by Whiiteboys7thst View Post
I actually replaced the HDD and the same result happened.. Its too much work uploading it and everything but i'll explain it exactly:
-connect power chord into outlet
-connect power chord into ps3
-ps3 is powered off with red light
-press power button
-ps3 beeps to turn on
-ps3 power light is green
-ps3 shuts off IMMEDIATELY after green light is on, not even a full second passes
-i say "whaaat" and video ends.
The video was only around 20 seconds lol. I bought a new power supply, repair company bought new power supply, repair company bought new power fuse things, and i swap HDD disks. Still nothing happens.. :(
Im better off buying a used ps3 from gamestop for just around $125 haha
But i really appreciate everything you told me

100% needs baking in oven.

The following user thanked privateuser3250 for this useful post:

SlimShadyXV-
04-28-2015, 11:36 PM #22
SlimShadyXV-
League Champion
Originally posted by privateuser3250 View Post
100% needs baking in oven.

You're 100% sure it will work?
04-28-2015, 11:41 PM #23
You're 100% sure it will work?

i dont know the history of the repairs attempted so far, as in, has any extra damage been now done.

but if the condition of everything is as good as when it was first opened then i would be pretty sure it would be 100% fix.

now this is all assuming that you know what you are doing when it comes to applying the correct amount of paste evenly and can seat the heatsink properly without a gap being made between the heatsink and chip - im sure you are but i have seen some people do some terrible things.

The following user thanked privateuser3250 for this useful post:

SlimShadyXV-
04-28-2015, 11:44 PM #24
SlimShadyXV-
League Champion
Originally posted by privateuser3250 View Post
i dont know the history of the repairs attempted so far, as in, has any extra damage been now done.

but if the condition of everything is as good as when it was first opened then i would be pretty sure it would be 100% fix.

now this is all assuming that you know what you are doing when it comes to applying the correct amount of paste evenly and can seat the heatsink properly without a gap being made between the heatsink and chip - im sure you are but i have seen some people do some terrible things.

I saw a sticky thread with the whole tutorial. Honestly im better off just getting a used ps3. I have the money for it and the whole oven process thing is a lot of work in my opinion. But thanks for the help though
04-28-2015, 11:47 PM #25
I saw a sticky thread with the whole tutorial. Honestly im better off just getting a used ps3. I have the money for it and the whole oven process thing is a lot of work in my opinion. But thanks for the help though

if you got the cash now then save it to do for when you are bored Smile

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo