10-27-2015, 08:41 PM #1
XenonLegend
Gym leader
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Hello members of NGU!
Today I saw something interesting on Twitter:
You must login or register to view this content.
In there they link to this article:

Basically an organization called EFF defends the consumers rights in the digital world. Today (27 October 2015) they won a petition!
This petition said that we should be legally able to inspect and modify car software!
You might be thinking, what does this benefit to the PS4 scene?
Well let me tell you, with this petition they also got other things voted for and approved like; Tweaking Abandoned Videogames, Jailbreaking Phones and Tablets, and Remixing Videos.
Does this mean you can apply jailbreak the PS4 legally or is that still illegal due to it not being a "tablet/phone". I think you might be able to legally argue with that?
What do you think? Let me know!

The following 2 users say thank you to XenonLegend for this useful post:

TEXAS24_ReStEr, TotalModzHD
10-30-2015, 01:40 PM #20
xXx-.-Moder
Maggbot timeout!
Originally posted by Fwosty View Post
Phone/tablets and car software does not affect gaming consoles. Sal Sony/Microsoft have a lot to lose from jailbreaking than does Apple.

Well that was I said on my 1st post m8.
Ps4 does not apply as a Phone/tablet....
11-01-2015, 01:39 PM #21
I don´t know good questionGeo
11-01-2015, 04:39 PM #22
Paddiwak87
Little One
Must I quote Sony's TOS again?

Oh, right, it's listed under 'legal' on their website. Meaning, it's not fucking legal to jailbreak a console. Don't be ignorant. iDevices have been legal to jailbreak for years, because Apple has lost the court cases any damn time they tried to do anything about it.

Are you serious? Since when does Sony's TOS dictate the law? Have you any clue what you're talking about?

When you buy a ps3 or ps4 it's yours, you can do whatever you want with it.
But yes if you don't respect their TOS, they have the right to ban you etc on THEIR servers, on the psn...

Look up the legality of jailbroken consoles and read. Once again Australia is the only place where they're illegal and that's because they consider it's a violation of copyright laws etc.
That's the Australian government that said so not Sony...
11-01-2015, 06:15 PM #23
Originally posted by Paddiwak87 View Post
Are you serious? Since when does Sony's TOS dictate the law? Have you any clue what you're talking about?

When you buy a ps3 or ps4 it's yours, you can do whatever you want with it.
But yes if you don't respect their TOS, they have the right to ban you etc on THEIR servers, on the psn...

Look up the legality of jailbroken consoles and read. Once again Australia is the only place where they're illegal and that's because they consider it's a violation of copyright laws etc.
That's the Australian government that said so not Sony...

So Geohot got sued because he lived in Australia. Good to know. Maybe you need to look up the definition of legal. Just because it's not in some government's constitution, doesn't mean it's not against the law. And I'm sure Sony would love to prove that. You must login or register to view this content. Let's make this clear for all the kiddies: What is the main point of jailbreaking any console? Piracy. No, denying it will not make it false. Piracy has been an issue for the last 40 years. You can pander and say homebrew is what you want, but what exactly has homebrew done for us on PS3? Disabling syscalls and pirating PSOne/PS2 and Nintendo games? What has jailbreaking allowed for us? Pirating games, pirating avatars, modifying games, trophy hacking. Where is the benign components of jailbreaking? The reason why jailbreaking will always be legal for Apple products is because it doesn't affect other users. It barely affects Apple. It extends the iDevices from the limitations the moneywhore, Apple, had placed. Jailbreaking a PS4 has no redeemable value except pirating and modding.
Last edited by Frosty ; 11-01-2015 at 06:28 PM.
11-01-2015, 08:47 PM #24
Originally posted by Outsider
While everything you said is very true, here is an article I came across about a Proposed Class to allow jailbreaking of consoles. A thread was made about a half a year ago. Here is the link You must login or register to view this content.

Very interesting points on all of those, but they are only secondary reasons. Even if those are their reasons for Jailbreaking, users would surely turn to pirating games as well. Micro-transactions being introduced though would combat the loss of profit from games being pirated though, similar to with Apple shit. Interesting none the less OP

I'm sure when it comes to devices like PSTV, Oculus Rift, and the PlayStation Camera, hardware modifications would extend their capabilities exponentially, and I agree with the preservation of our games part. It would be nice if we could play the games we bought off psnstore through a flashdrive on any other PS4, as long as that user's signed in, instead of redownloading. Or to be able to backup a game to the PS4 (so to avoid scratches/dust/smudges on disc), but in the end it would provide more exploits for pirating. I mean, we have to consider the news about the "Brazilian Jailbreak" a few months ago. All it was, was a way to pirate games from one console to another. If PS4 did get jailbroken, I'd still go for it (to be part of the community and for trophy hacking), regardless of legality, but in respect to the the post you quoted, I think if Vita ever gets jailbroken (probably by mid-2016), it should be left by Sony for consumers to manipulate and extend, as it's a dying system with lesser and lesser support from Sony. It's "downloadable content (DLC), and updates to ensure full preservation and proper
emulation on other systems." that gets me. Proper emulation would mean playing those dlcs on another system, aka file/gamesharing. This would be deemed pirating if given to people who didn't buy the dlcs. All in all, we'll have to see. Word is, there's already a 'jailbreak' for Xbox One for the Italian community. No proof of this, because it's based on comments on ipt on xbox one torrents with only pictures to associate. So, a rumor as it may be, who knows if it may be real. :/
11-02-2015, 12:17 AM #25
Paddiwak87
Little One
So Geohot got sued because he lived in Australia. Good to know. Maybe you need to look up the definition of legal. Just because it's not in some government's constitution, doesn't mean it's not against the law. And I'm sure Sony would love to prove that. You must login or register to view this content. Let's make this clear for all the kiddies: What is the main point of jailbreaking any console? Piracy. No, denying it will not make it false. Piracy has been an issue for the last 40 years. You can pander and say homebrew is what you want, but what exactly has homebrew done for us on PS3? Disabling syscalls and pirating PSOne/PS2 and Nintendo games? What has jailbreaking allowed for us? Pirating games, pirating avatars, modifying games, trophy hacking. Where is the benign components of jailbreaking? The reason why jailbreaking will always be legal for Apple products is because it doesn't affect other users. It barely affects Apple. It extends the iDevices from the limitations the moneywhore, Apple, had placed. Jailbreaking a PS4 has no redeemable value except pirating and modding.

Don't worry about me and the definition of legal.
Of course you can be legally binded with a company if you sign a contract for example, which Sony's TOS is not.
They tried to pull that off on George Hotz and failoverflow but other than them nobody has ever been sued for jailbreaking.

I did say sued, you can sue people for all sorts of bs but the fact remains that except in Australia jailbroken ps3's are NOT illegal. Once again look it up.

As for the argument a jailbroken ps3 is mainly designed for playing pirated games and so on, you can also use it to backup games you purchased for private use which is entirely legal.

It's not because something is designed for and can be used to commit piracy or any other crime that it automatically becomes illegal to own.
There are countless examples of this.
11-07-2015, 11:33 AM #26
tygouvion123
Climbing up the ladder
it has never been illegal to modify or jailbreak sonys software.i read about this a few months ago...anyways im not gonna find the article i read before but everyone should know that its not illegal to jailbreak.
12-25-2015, 02:37 PM #27
CashMoney-
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by Moder View Post
AS other said, JB is not illegal.
The only thing illegal downloading PAID games for FREE.
And Ps4 doesn't fit in the category of tablets and phones. Sorry this does not apply here

Modding games online is illegal too
12-28-2015, 11:42 AM #28
TheJaRniBoi
Why So Serious?
Originally posted by CashMoney
Modding games online is illegal too

modding games online is illegal yes as it ruins the experience for other people who paid for the game. Even modifying games offline is illegal however is the only legal way(s) to modify a game offline would be via game saves since you generate the save file. The other legal way in my opinion is real time editing as its pretty much cheating in a video game offline, and this method has been around for years in the form of cheat disc e.g. gameshark, codebreaker etc and was never illegal back then. Also game genie a company which invented the first cheat device for Nintendo systems, sued Nintendo successfully 1 million dollars as Nintendo claimed the device they created was copyright infringement. however the judge said that the effects of the device were temporary and did not alter the game permanently similar to what RTE Tools/Mods do. He also said people that people who use cheats expanded the life of the game. For example if you can't pass a level eventually without cheats you would give up right but with cheats you can judge skip it. Another example is GTA games which is more enjoyable with cheats and mods. Cause of cheats and mods people still play GTA San Andreas to this day though it is not support by Rockstar for years.

As for jailbreaking, I only jailbroke my console for the following reasons:

- Better backward compatibility:

Didn't like the limited support for PS2 and surely didn't like being charged way more for a PS2 game when I can pick up a copy for less then £1. I mean if they took the game, fixed bugs and gave it HD textures I wouldn't mind paying extra especially if its my favorite game but not for a converted version. Also none of my favourite games were in the store and PS4 is out yet the library didn't even extend. Also its the same for PS1 Games. I means wheres my favorite games like Urban Reign, HCTP, DJFFNY for PS2 or Tekken 3 for PS1.

- Remove useless and annoying apps/functions:

Din't like annoying popups, and useless apps like Singstar, online manual etc taking up my hdd space or just being there.

- More customization:

I can literally delete any category, add any category, custom fonts, icons, waves, boot ups, gameboots etc the list goes on total customization.

- Running my legally purchased games of the HDSad Awesome

I can reduce PS3 overheating, my BD Drive from wearing out and also speed up load times for my game. I mean why would i waste time downloading a 20GB or 40GB game from the PSN Store when I can purchase the game from my local store and rip it to my PS3 and within 80% less time then the PSN Store version but have the same load speed.

- Mods/Cheats:

I should be allowed to perfectly skip a level in a game if I want to, run fast in a game if I want to. Even making mods for a game expands the life of the game and not only that motivates you to be creative which can also motivate you to become interested in video game design.

- Custom Apps

I like to install and use homebrew apps like showtime. There was no support for YouTube vids, even the browser was crap and still is. However with showtime that was pretty much fixed along with being able to run almost any file format for images, vids and music.

I do no condone or support piracy and never believe it or not PIRATED ANY VIDEO GAME! Piracy leads to developers losing money which leads to them not supporting the console which then leads to a deserted and dead console. A perfect example is the PSP. When I first jailbroke my PS3 with PSGroove piracy wasn't on my mind only modding MW2 was on my mind. Whilst modding MW2 I learnt from it and it at the time influenced me to learn more about the game etc. RTE has forced me to learn C# even thought I still only know the basic.

Jailbreaking should be legal but as always a open console leads to piracy which is what a majority of consumers want. Who doesn't want free stuff! If SONY Allowed the above features I wouldn't need to jailbreak but the limitations can be very annoying.

The following user thanked TheJaRniBoi for this useful post:

John

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo