10-27-2015, 08:41 PM #1
XenonLegend
Gym leader
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Hello members of NGU!
Today I saw something interesting on Twitter:
You must login or register to view this content.
In there they link to this article:

Basically an organization called EFF defends the consumers rights in the digital world. Today (27 October 2015) they won a petition!
This petition said that we should be legally able to inspect and modify car software!
You might be thinking, what does this benefit to the PS4 scene?
Well let me tell you, with this petition they also got other things voted for and approved like; Tweaking Abandoned Videogames, Jailbreaking Phones and Tablets, and Remixing Videos.
Does this mean you can apply jailbreak the PS4 legally or is that still illegal due to it not being a "tablet/phone". I think you might be able to legally argue with that?
What do you think? Let me know!

The following 2 users say thank you to XenonLegend for this useful post:

TEXAS24_ReStEr, TotalModzHD
12-28-2015, 03:59 PM #29
CashMoney-
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by TheJaRniBoi View Post
modding games online is illegal yes as it ruins the experience for other people who paid for the game. Even modifying games offline is illegal however is the only legal way(s) to modify a game offline would be via game saves since you generate the save file. The other legal way in my opinion is real time editing as its pretty much cheating in a video game offline, and this method has been around for years in the form of cheat disc e.g. gameshark, codebreaker etc and was never illegal back then. Also game genie a company which invented the first cheat device for Nintendo systems, sued Nintendo successfully 1 million dollars as Nintendo claimed the device they created was copyright infringement. however the judge said that the effects of the device were temporary and did not alter the game permanently similar to what RTE Tools/Mods do. He also said people that people who use cheats expanded the life of the game. For example if you can't pass a level eventually without cheats you would give up right but with cheats you can judge skip it. Another example is GTA games which is more enjoyable with cheats and mods. Cause of cheats and mods people still play GTA San Andreas to this day though it is not support by Rockstar for years.

As for jailbreaking, I only jailbroke my console for the following reasons:

- Better backward compatibility:

Didn't like the limited support for PS2 and surely didn't like being charged way more for a PS2 game when I can pick up a copy for less then £1. I mean if they took the game, fixed bugs and gave it HD textures I wouldn't mind paying extra especially if its my favorite game but not for a converted version. Also none of my favourite games were in the store and PS4 is out yet the library didn't even extend. Also its the same for PS1 Games. I means wheres my favorite games like Urban Reign, HCTP, DJFFNY for PS2 or Tekken 3 for PS1.

- Remove useless and annoying apps/functions:

Din't like annoying popups, and useless apps like Singstar, online manual etc taking up my hdd space or just being there.

- More customization:

I can literally delete any category, add any category, custom fonts, icons, waves, boot ups, gameboots etc the list goes on total customization.

- Running my legally purchased games of the HDSad Awesome

I can reduce PS3 overheating, my BD Drive from wearing out and also speed up load times for my game. I mean why would i waste time downloading a 20GB or 40GB game from the PSN Store when I can purchase the game from my local store and rip it to my PS3 and within 80% less time then the PSN Store version but have the same load speed.

- Mods/Cheats:

I should be allowed to perfectly skip a level in a game if I want to, run fast in a game if I want to. Even making mods for a game expands the life of the game and not only that motivates you to be creative which can also motivate you to become interested in video game design.

- Custom Apps

I like to install and use homebrew apps like showtime. There was no support for YouTube vids, even the browser was crap and still is. However with showtime that was pretty much fixed along with being able to run almost any file format for images, vids and music.

I do no condone or support piracy and never believe it or not PIRATED ANY VIDEO GAME! Piracy leads to developers losing money which leads to them not supporting the console which then leads to a deserted and dead console. A perfect example is the PSP. When I first jailbroke my PS3 with PSGroove piracy wasn't on my mind only modding MW2 was on my mind. Whilst modding MW2 I learnt from it and it at the time influenced me to learn more about the game etc. RTE has forced me to learn C# even thought I still only know the basic.

Jailbreaking should be legal but as always a open console leads to piracy which is what a majority of consumers want. Who doesn't want free stuff! If SONY Allowed the above features I wouldn't need to jailbreak but the limitations can be very annoying.

Personally if I could jailbreak I would it's amazing , but I just felt like correcting the guy🌚
01-01-2016, 06:30 PM #30
The reason these things became "illegal" in the first place is because of everyone pirating games and whatnot
01-02-2016, 12:19 AM #31
The reason it should be jail broke on -3.11 -update I hope. Is for features taken away that in fact should not have to pay for..
Ps1,2&3 games! Themes.
And much more, Sony only wants there money they do not care if the customer is happy! That's why we jail brake!!!! The ps4 is stronger then most PC and can do a lot more then play only ps4 games!!!!
Last edited by Red707 ; 01-02-2016 at 02:44 AM.

The following user thanked Red707 for this useful post:

gianluca33

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo