11-10-2010, 11:59 PM #1
PHO3NIX~
Regenerated and Reborn
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); If you are lagging on Black Ops and you know its not your connection causing the problem or if your the host of the game and your still lagging:
Its because there is so many people online who are using up Treyarch's server's resources
Black Ops mainly relys on p2p (peer2peer) connections between a host and other clients. But your ranks, stats, emblems, friend list info, etc... is stored on Treyarch's server's
If there is too many people playing on BO at once, the server's cant handle it and you will receive whats called a "high ping" (won't go into too much detail now)
And also, the game is running too much stuff at once for the PS3 to handle

But we can bypass high ping if we lower the amount of resources the client/host (your ps3) needs
And even when people lose interest in the game and less people are online, your PS3 will still freeze occasionally in menus and take long amount of time to load, because the PS3 can't handle Black Ops effectively

So I am going to address two things with this thread:
1. Server Latency
2. PS3 Tweaking

(If your connection is weak or you have connection problems or you don't know what post forwarding/DMZ is, then this thread isn't for you)

The only way to have a good Latency / low ping is to have a decent connection and to wait for people to lose interest in the game
When there is about 400,000 people online, the game should run smoothly once you get into a game. But this does not solve the issue of slow loading times and freezing in menu's. I am going to discuss how to lower your ping as much as you can at the moment:

The ps3 has a low amount of RAM, 256mb infact.
So it can't do much at the same time. e.g. Can only send 12 messages at a time.
So when Black Ops is constantly updating information about your friends list and your recent players, and their fileshare. And stats, and theatre mode, etc... Then its no surprise your going to experience slow loading times
So the way round it is to minimise the amount it has to do as much as possible. So delete all your received messages on your ps3. And all your sent messages. And delete all unnecessary friends from your list. This will lower your ping, and will decrease loading times in the menus and you will have slightly less lag online

Also when you are in the Playstation Network menu in multiplayer, press select and change the option to "LOCALE ONLY"

If you do as I said, this is what you can expect to happen:

Slightly faster loading times in menus on Black Ops
Your friends list on your XMB will load MUCH FASTER
Your in-game XMB will operate MUCH FASTER
Your ping will be reduced slightly in Black Ops
You will play against players in your country only, so lower ping overall and you can understand each other Winky Winky

This is confirmed to work (by me)
Black Ops was sticking for me and I was experiencing a lot of lag and freezing in menu's. Now I'm experiencing no freezing in menu's. The lag has been reduced, but there is nothing more we can do about that now until there is less strain on the server's.
My in-game XMB is opening/closing much faster
I can send messages much faster
Takes a lot less time to sign in, and my friends list is loaded much faster
Last edited by PHO3NIX~ ; 11-11-2010 at 12:28 AM.

The following 75 users say thank you to PHO3NIX~ for this useful post:

ⒿⒺⒷⓇⓄ, AgentJon, ak7, allant, aqua_73_, AristotIe-, bertieboy7, bmxrcodol04, chris48hour, codefollow, Como, conrod, Curtyy, DanGFX, dfrost182, DR-Dizzy, Draco771, eaglechamp, FLU33BR, gdnxp, glitchplz, Hazel, HeadHunterM7, higzy94, HomelandSec, Hughseyy, hussler, ibombo, ImTheBabyKicker, iownall6, J-J, jake-thesnake, Jamesyy, jay2nice000, Jteezay09, justintp918, kane212, kevymatts, lilnatsfan44, MARY JANE, mero8888, mlkey123, morgan8088, Mr Grumpy, mrguy0874, mugatu, Mw2Freak13, OllieIcon, Omniplasma, PEGGIE99, Pimp, rico4u2day2, saudi--fantom, scythemage, SleepyTuness, SnackGuy, snilletx3, Solid Snake, Thristle, toad321, TUZVIZFOLD, viralhysteria, VnmZ, Warfrog213, Wfloydboy16, WhiplashOne, Whore, xFutterr, xIAmSchwem, xKNoWL3zY--, xLew--, xStefan, xXM@DM@RCXx, Xzz-MoDz-zzX, Yozod
12-31-2010, 01:19 AM #83
gamefaceayf
Do a barrel roll!
i have been banned
01-02-2011, 05:42 AM #84
Great bit of knowledge :dance:
01-02-2011, 09:58 AM #85
MIXAXIS
I am error
The problem for me with using locale is that my account is US (because of DLC's and general stuff like that) but I'm from Qatar and I lag way worse using the locale function.

I think Treyarch should have the the locale option upgraded so it will locate based on your current geographical location and not on your listed location.
01-04-2011, 11:50 PM #86
gotta try this as getting kicked all the time is no good
01-07-2011, 02:24 AM #87
Merweener
Bounty hunter
real nice post man

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

very helpful too
01-07-2011, 02:36 AM #88
n00dle
Do a barrel roll!
Deleting your messages isn't going to prevent/reduce lag. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The problem is poor p2p coding by 3arc, end of story. Other than that, different types of network hardware/connections will create lag, usually due to packets being dropped. If you were to play a game with just you and a friend that was on the same network (same ISP) that lived close to you, you would most likely play flawlessly all day long without a single hiccup as long as your ISP didn't suck ass.

However, once you start connecting to other players on different networks, and having packets passing through countless numbers of routers/switches/hubs/dslams/etc/etc hitting who knows how many nat pools... packets are going to be lost/dropped/re-routed it's inevitable. There will always be lag on games that require client hosts, instead of dedicated servers. Even with dedicated servers there will still be lag at times, but much less. 3arc just failed miserably at optimizing their code for black ops to try and reduce the size of the packets and shit the game is sending/receiving.

Finally, the only way deleting "unnecessary friends" would affect anything is if you were constantly going into your xmb and viewing your friends list during a game, which with enough friends would cause you to lag, and everyone else to lag if you happened to be host.

As for the guy that said deleting 1000+ messages would take all day or whatever, just hit triangle on your "Received" folder, and choose delete, it will delete them all at once... same goes with your "Sent" message folder.
01-10-2011, 01:14 AM #89
nice post i like it Upside Down Happy
01-10-2011, 08:00 PM #90
Thank you for the post.

I will try this later.

Black Ops is unplayable for me atm.

Good day.
01-11-2011, 06:08 PM #91
that worked well!!

the locale only part*Happy

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.