04-01-2010, 03:29 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Today, Sony has released a their patch 3.21 which has unfortunately removed the "Other OS" function due to security issues, which you probably know as GeoHotz hypervisor hack. GeoHotz responded by saying not to update your firmware, and someone on another forum posted a method so that an update is not needed. And this is the process:

• Go onto the XMB on the start up screen.
  • Go to Network Settings and select Internet Connection Settings.
  • Click Custom > [any option] > [any option] > Manual.
  • For you IP address, you may want to go to your router webpage to find out this remaining info, but for the primary DNS you need to put 67.202.81.137 which should trick the PS3 into thinking you're fully updated.
  • Choose your settings from here on.

Now you should be able to sign in and play games.

This is how the hack was done:

Originally posted by Aaron
I configured BIND to point *.ps3.update.playstation.net to the same IP, and configured my lighttpd to serve a custom updatelist.txt file for all regions that tells the PS3 it's up-to-date.

And there you have it. There is a minor downfall though. Some discs may become unreadable without this firmware but I can only see that happening with future games and my guess is that GeoHotz will find something revolutionary before that point anyway.

Original post: You must login or register to view this content.

Youtube Video Tutorial:

[ws]HAIlpz-Ftkw[/ws]
Last edited by JimErased ; 04-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.

The following 20 users say thank you to JimErased for this useful post:

Ronye West, Antiaverage, AtlasK, Cpt.S, DaenerysTargy, Doctor Stan, DSx, Fletcher, FourzerotwoFAILS, GetDeleted -_-, HackStreak, HSx9, Lucky7, MrBelfast, ONEster, patastinky, Sert, Samberg, Tons, xScarsii
04-01-2010, 10:27 PM #29
patastinky
NEW Avatar~~~
i updated since i don't use the "other OS" option..
04-01-2010, 11:46 PM #30
urbex
Whos Awesome?
Originally posted by Tacotime77 View Post
GeoHots is making a CFW. The PS3 is going to end up like the PSP was. Completely hacked. GeoHots is only making a CFW to have 3.21 and Other OS, but people will start making new CFW's to hack and the piracy and iso modding begins =)

sadly, it's not that simple.
04-02-2010, 12:18 AM #31
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
I left my PS3 on last night while I was signed in. It didn't kick me out, nor have I updated. I can show proof in a video too if you'd like.
04-02-2010, 12:19 AM #32
DSx
Climbing up the ladder
Thanks for this, I haven't touched my ps3 today because I didn't want to update since I was waiting for Geohotz. I'll just do this and start back up on CoD Smile
04-02-2010, 12:41 AM #33
the stuff
League Champion
They'll find a way to downgrade neways
04-02-2010, 01:22 AM #34
TOO Late 4 me but thanks anyway...
04-02-2010, 01:23 AM #35
eXoSkeleton
PSN: IceCold138
Originally posted by Blurr View Post
Hey guys, I have a quick question. Will it mess up my DMZ set up if I change the primary DNS to this?

i worried about the same thing but i havent had any problems yet. so far the DMZ is unaffected by the DNS. Happy

The following user thanked eXoSkeleton for this useful post:

ONEster
04-02-2010, 03:00 AM #36
Octavia
"PonyF ag"
Wow that seems to easy but thank you. Happy

~Elmo
04-02-2010, 03:24 AM #37
crunch
Haxor!
To clarify some things for some people and also a request.

This is a bypass what you are doing is setting up your machine to allow another computer when your Playstation asks Playstation Network what version of the firmware do I need to be on Playstation networks the other machine instead of Playstation Network says any version is fine so go ahead and connect to Playstation Network. Otherwise playstation Network would say you need 3.21 to connect, Your machine looks at itself and says whoops don't have that so I wont connect to playstation network You are not really modifying anything on your machine. you are just changing a network setting to point to that machine. its not a hack it is a workaround for the firmware upgrade.

Also, If Sony has a workaround for this and eventually I am forced to upgrade I would like a copy of the firmware 3.15 for my SD card so that if I ever choose to use it as other OS permanently or even temporarily I could.

Anyone know where I can get the PC download version of 3.15 so I can do an update of the firmware to the latest version before 3.21 with an SD card if I ever needed to.

Also people that have updated and want to do a system restore will need a copy of 3.15 also so figuring out where it is available is a good idea. If you have it don't get rid of it.

Can it be backed up from the PS3 if I did a system update through the pc as that would be my most trusted source of the file?

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Now anyone have heard yet whether this is legal for Sony to do? I don't believe that this falls under their user agreement in that this machine was advertised as a dual OS machine. You could argue that when they took away this feature which was not just some little software feature they literally took half your machine away.

I equate this to buying a vacuum cleaner (as the best example I can think of quick) This vacuum was advertised as a push vacuum and also had a pickup wand. It would be like the company that made it coming over your house and taking your vacuum and cutting off the pickup wand and saying we feel that we don't want you to be able to do that with this machine anymore.
I am thinking that I would be then entitled to compensation for having to go and buy a different wand vacuum to be able to do what I could do before? Not to mention misleading advertisement.

Same thing here could it not be argued that the machine was purchased with the understanding that it could operate as a game console and a computer. now that the computer is gone am I not entitled for loosing half of my system that I paid for?

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Originally posted by IceCold138 View Post
i worried about the same thing but i haven't had any problems yet. so far the DMZ is unaffected by the DNS. Happy

No it will not affect the DMZ. You can look at a DMZ as splitting your network in two. One part being highly guarded and the DMZ as having no guards on it. That is the only difference.

No matter which side you are on you have to tell your computer/game console the same set of directions/settings (of which DNS is part of) on who you are on the Network and how to access the Internet. whether in a dmz or behind the nat these directions/settings don't change.

When you setup a DMZ you are telling the gatekeeper your router which one machine to place on the outside of the guarded wall and that is it.

But one thing folks get an older Linksys Wrt54g and set it up with dd-WRT and for that mater any router that has UPnP set up properly a DMZ is a waste.
Last edited by crunch ; 04-02-2010 at 03:39 AM.

The following user thanked crunch for this useful post:

ONEster

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo