07-01-2010, 02:50 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

With game sales lagging and gamers extending their playtime with their favorite titles by playing online, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachtersees mega-publisher Activision finding a way to get money out of gamers spending tons of hours with games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

According to Pachter, "Activision will find a way to monetize the 1.75 billion hours of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 online play on the Xbox 360 in the first five months following the game’s release.

"In the future, we think that Activision will find a way to charge for some portion of online game play, and if successful, we think that other publishers will follow suit," Pachter said. "With the early June launch of the second Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 map pack, we think that online game play will continue to be a drain on gamers’ time and wallets, and think that sales could again slide into negative territory."

When asked if there was something that he'd like to change immediately, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick mentioned that he would like to have a subscription service for Call of Duty in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. "I would have Call Of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow. When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call Of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience.

We don't yet have any hint as to when Activision or other publishers might begin testing their "online monetization" plans or what that exactly will entail. It could be everything from in-game ads, to selling special DLC items, to a full on subscription model, or even a variation of EA's Project Ten Dollar. Whatever it may be, news like this is not good for gamer's wallets that are already stretched thin in this economy.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is due this November while the "Resurgence Pack" for Modern Warfare 2 is currently available on the Xbox 360 and due out on July 6 for the PC and PS3.

You must login or register to view this content..
Last edited by MBO ; 07-13-2010 at 12:45 AM.

The following 3 users say thank you to MBO for this useful post:

Booshykins, psychobe@n, RedKnight
08-09-2010, 08:41 PM #128
LOL! Call of Duty series is dead if this happens.
08-09-2010, 09:01 PM #129
-.Anonymous.-
Treasure hunter
CoD is dead but I do feel good about that since the games are gonna turn shyt after MW2.
Just because loads of people bought MW2 doesn't mean that it's good so they'll use the same sort of ideas in future games!
Either way-fudge you Activision...
08-09-2010, 09:06 PM #130
Battler624
I’m too L33T
this will NEVER happen in the middle east ONLY there is more than 3Mil players which i found a lot and those 3Mil dont have access to Ps store so no DLC and you think that these 3Mil will pay for online? you think that activition will risk 3Mil consumers?
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM #131
FoxkaZ
Retired Super
The cod players defens agains WoW have always been "we atleast dont pay for online"... maby we cant say that to those gold harvesting geecks anymore! Why would Activision fall so low!
08-09-2010, 10:41 PM #132
TheBryant
Space Ninja
I hope they charge us. That way I can stop playin CoD for good, except for the occasional Zombies.
08-09-2010, 10:58 PM #133
TheBryant
Space Ninja
The CEO would do it. I would actually be surprised if Bobby vetoes it.
08-11-2010, 04:38 AM #134
iZach
Space Ninja
That's alot of $

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo