07-01-2010, 02:50 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

With game sales lagging and gamers extending their playtime with their favorite titles by playing online, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachtersees mega-publisher Activision finding a way to get money out of gamers spending tons of hours with games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

According to Pachter, "Activision will find a way to monetize the 1.75 billion hours of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 online play on the Xbox 360 in the first five months following the game’s release.

"In the future, we think that Activision will find a way to charge for some portion of online game play, and if successful, we think that other publishers will follow suit," Pachter said. "With the early June launch of the second Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 map pack, we think that online game play will continue to be a drain on gamers’ time and wallets, and think that sales could again slide into negative territory."

When asked if there was something that he'd like to change immediately, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick mentioned that he would like to have a subscription service for Call of Duty in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. "I would have Call Of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow. When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call Of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience.

We don't yet have any hint as to when Activision or other publishers might begin testing their "online monetization" plans or what that exactly will entail. It could be everything from in-game ads, to selling special DLC items, to a full on subscription model, or even a variation of EA's Project Ten Dollar. Whatever it may be, news like this is not good for gamer's wallets that are already stretched thin in this economy.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is due this November while the "Resurgence Pack" for Modern Warfare 2 is currently available on the Xbox 360 and due out on July 6 for the PC and PS3.

You must login or register to view this content..
Last edited by MBO ; 07-13-2010 at 12:45 AM.

The following 3 users say thank you to MBO for this useful post:

Booshykins, psychobe@n, RedKnight
07-06-2010, 04:09 AM #65
Originally posted by Cyber
Why is everyone swearing at Activision?

Analyst and Monkey Trainer Patcher is saying he thinks Activision might charge something to gain more money. You guys should read the thread before riding the fail train.

yea, exactly..
BUT
why would they need more money?
these M/Ps Sell For Like £15 And they sell atleast 500k-2million+ Per Console..
then the games, they sell MILLIONS of copies.. again Millions Per Console.

All this together. must equal something over 10-50 Million Per Release.
(call of duty's ; mainly...

its pointless.. if anything they will lose money.. and support..
atleast from me, anyone else?
07-06-2010, 04:38 AM #66
Ashford02
Elite Clan Invite?
haha no pay for PS3 but i dont like the it
07-06-2010, 06:07 AM #67
blaize 9
Trustworthy level 1- Woot
If they do this then !@#$ the COD seres, i would just go to like MoH or Battlefield simple as that.
07-06-2010, 06:36 AM #68
ImSooTalented
Desire This.
they charge $22 for maps and then they wanna start charging get F***ed Activision
07-06-2010, 06:48 AM #69
Many gamers, such as myself, like to play a vast amount of games (casually). With all of the new prices and fees being handed out by both the game companies and system companies I believe many casual gamers will be confronted with a hard choice...

1. Stop Paying = Stop Gaming
  2. Focus on one game.

Simply speaking, in the end someone is going to be loosing profit and with almost 75% of the gaming audience being casual I expect one company to rise and the others take a devastating blow.
07-06-2010, 03:35 PM #70
willchop
just call me WILL
so paying £40 quid a game not enough and the the map packs,now this sucks :(
07-06-2010, 03:36 PM #71
Enfield
Gym leader
I smell bull shit.
07-06-2010, 04:33 PM #72
Cyber Altair
League Champion
Originally posted by LiamGTR View Post
yea, exactly..
BUT
why would they need more money?
these M/Ps Sell For Like £15 And they sell atleast 500k-2million+ Per Console..
then the games, they sell MILLIONS of copies.. again Millions Per Console.

All this together. must equal something over 10-50 Million Per Release.
(call of duty's ; mainly...

its pointless.. if anything they will lose money.. and support..
atleast from me, anyone else?

Marketing, Legal, Administration, Kotick's big fat 15 million. You have no idea how a business runs, Activision isn't a company run by Kotick and 2 secretaries and one guy in charge of marketing and I'm pretty sure the people who work there get some money unless not paying your workers became legal again.

Anyway The company has a lot of expenses and a simple patch like say fixes OMA actually costs money that they aren't really getting back.

I do agree that this still isn't an excuse for Bobby monkeyface Kotick to charge 15$ per map pack but then again we should hang the guy who told him it's a good idea along with the guy who thought painkiller was a good idea.
07-06-2010, 05:25 PM #73
Dewzy916
i am broski916
What's the point of paying the original $60 for the FULL game?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo