07-01-2010, 02:50 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

With game sales lagging and gamers extending their playtime with their favorite titles by playing online, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachtersees mega-publisher Activision finding a way to get money out of gamers spending tons of hours with games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

According to Pachter, "Activision will find a way to monetize the 1.75 billion hours of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 online play on the Xbox 360 in the first five months following the game’s release.

"In the future, we think that Activision will find a way to charge for some portion of online game play, and if successful, we think that other publishers will follow suit," Pachter said. "With the early June launch of the second Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 map pack, we think that online game play will continue to be a drain on gamers’ time and wallets, and think that sales could again slide into negative territory."

When asked if there was something that he'd like to change immediately, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick mentioned that he would like to have a subscription service for Call of Duty in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. "I would have Call Of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow. When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call Of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience.

We don't yet have any hint as to when Activision or other publishers might begin testing their "online monetization" plans or what that exactly will entail. It could be everything from in-game ads, to selling special DLC items, to a full on subscription model, or even a variation of EA's Project Ten Dollar. Whatever it may be, news like this is not good for gamer's wallets that are already stretched thin in this economy.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is due this November while the "Resurgence Pack" for Modern Warfare 2 is currently available on the Xbox 360 and due out on July 6 for the PC and PS3.

You must login or register to view this content..
Last edited by MBO ; 07-13-2010 at 12:45 AM.

The following 3 users say thank you to MBO for this useful post:

Booshykins, psychobe@n, RedKnight
07-04-2010, 01:31 PM #47
Under Alts Bed
x x x x x x x x x x x x x
Originally posted by toophat2fly View Post
OK, so lets work this out easily. On release day MW2 was approx £50.
1.2m sold = £60,000,000
Now lets say all of those people bought Stimulus pack. so thats
1.2m at approx £10 = 10,000,000
so far they have made £70,000,000
Now lets say all of those people bought Resurgence pack. so thats
1.2m at approx £10 = 10,000,000
Now they have made £80,000,000
And the third maps are due for release too? Arent these software companies making enough out of us gamers without charging for the online aspect of their games just because they have seen a massive increase in the amount of online game time?

Please bear in mind, I only used the release day figures for the UK.... You do the math that is a lot of cash made. Leave it out activision, you charge us enough for the games without charging for online too!!

Rant over KTHANXBAI Winky Winky

1.2m x 10 = 12,000,000 not 10,000,000 which is a huge difference.

Even when this money is split between everyone and put into dev work etc. etc. they still make a killing and they just want more, and it really is for no reason at all.
07-04-2010, 06:18 PM #48
Originally posted by yers View Post
1.2m x 10 = 12,000,000 not 10,000,000 which is a huge difference.

Even when this money is split between everyone and put into dev work etc. etc. they still make a killing and they just want more, and it really is for no reason at all.

yeah, my bad, was half asleep when i wrote it will make it right Winky Winky
07-04-2010, 07:10 PM #49
Mue
Do a barrel roll!
wow ill just preorder medal of honor instead of black ops then...
07-04-2010, 08:20 PM #50
Bull crap.
07-04-2010, 08:48 PM #51
Sad Awesome Now I have to pay to play BBFC2?
07-04-2010, 09:15 PM #52
Tustin
Balls of Steel
sweet, another excuse not to play those sh*tty games activision publishes.
07-04-2010, 09:45 PM #53
GizmoRoll
I am error
Before everyone thinks this could actually happen, look at MomasBoyOnline's source.

Try finding something that isn't propaganda, and on the same level as the National Enquirer.
07-04-2010, 09:51 PM #54
Octavia
"PonyF ag"
This is to Activison...

You must login or register to view this content.
07-05-2010, 06:36 PM #55
I say fukk Activision and Infinity Ward. When Respawn comes out with their first, thats all im playing.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo