01-19-2014, 07:44 AM #1
Psychomancer
I am error
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I have a 60GB CECHA01 that started having freezing issues while playing ps3 games. Still played PS2, Bluray and DVD fine. It was sent into Sony several years ago outside of warranty for a repair on the USB ports out of my own pocket. The USB ports are again giving me problems, have to jiggle them around a lot to get connection to sync a controller. The card slots still work just fine as does the Bluetooth.

To help prevent a YLOD I upgraded the fan to the 19 blade and put in the compatible lower wattage PSU. Also added arctic silver between the fan heatsink and the heat block that is on the RSK and CELL. Did not remove the block and put new heat paste in there, might have to do that.

Shortly after turning on the fan kicks up to max while doing nothing. The system is running OFW 3.66

So my question is, is there a way for me to get a CFW on this system that will allow me to do all the niffty back up game playing, trophy cracking, as well as installing other OS?
If there is, what might be the issue with the USB ports? If I can get the USBs working and a good CFW on here, I want to water cool it.

If there is no way to CFW it, then I suppose I may as well buy a system that can be modded. If that is the case what should I be looking for?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
01-19-2014, 09:06 AM #20
Master0wn3r
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by Psychomancer View Post
wow thats pretty slick. no soldering to the ps3 board at all i like that, just a matter of not spending an arm and leg on it then. PS3 with BC and 3.55 or less on ebay anyways go for 150 - 350 so gotta do some shopping.

Next question, do any of the CFW version allow for other OS as well as all the back up play and trophy fun?

Every CFW console thats running 3.55-4.50 cfw allows you to install OtherOs, on my Rebug 4.46 i can easilly install red ribbon linux
With just a image in a disc an rebug toolbox
01-19-2014, 09:10 AM #21
Psychomancer
I am error
sweet! you guys have given me hope!! Happy
01-19-2014, 09:18 AM #22
Master0wn3r
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by Psychomancer View Post
sweet! you guys have given me hope!! Happy

Haha no problem, thats why we joined NGU (i guess lol)
01-19-2014, 05:48 PM #23
Psychomancer
I am error
Just tested out a PS3 game in the system last night (mini ninjas) for a couple hours. Besides sounding like a jet engine the system ran fine. Oh also discovered that at some point i put the original PSU back in the system... think it was part of my process to figure out why the USBs didnt work. Will have to put the lower wattage one back in and see if the jiggle trick still works.
01-19-2014, 08:40 PM #24
Psychomancer
I am error
So I think Im just going to use This guy (You must login or register to view this content.
You must login or register to view this content.) to do the flashing. $40 plus 20 shipping doesnt seem so bad.

He mentions that reballing is a good idea too as does most of the reading ive done. Though some say dont do it if youve never had YLOD but some say it is a good preventative measure. I think the only thing that saved me from a YLOD is the new thermal paste i put between the IHS and heat sink as well as the fan upgrade.
After watching some videos about how to remove an IHS and whats under them, i think that is definitely something i need to do as well as the reball.
does anyone know a good service for the full reball? The magneto guy says he works with someone but it costs an additional $150 on top of the flash costs.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo