03-31-2013, 02:21 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); <View my last post for the most up-to-date info on page 3>

Recently, I've had an unholy infatuation with trying to host .gsc mods once again on 1.14.
Unfortunately, its impossible but not because of the reasons you may think. So, I created this thread hoping to one day be able to return and pick off where I left off, or at least fill in others so they don't have to go at it blind like I did.

This will be done Q&A Style because it's easiest that way.

Q. Why is it impossible?
A. Because we cannot make a .self with npdrm properly (as far as I know) and because of that, the whole process is ruined.

Q. What do you mean we can't make a .self? We have "make_fself_npdrm".
A. Yes, fself, as in a fake .self file. It's a fake signing process and it cannot be read by the game. Thus it results in the gaming closing when trying to turn the extracted .elf back into a .self with no edits.

Q. Do you have any examples of it being a fake .self?
A. Well, yes.

Different Headers.
You must login or register to view this content.
Different Footers.

Q. What if we simply replace the header and footer like we had to do before with patch_mp.ff
A. I tried it, but also this should uh... be a nice example of what the problem is.

That was why it was impossible. Now I will address some commonly asked questions around here.

Q. Was the .GSC compiler removed/disabled?
A. It was not removed (it's on the disk, not in a patch file) but it was disabled. Though I found something in the .elf that hinted at re-enabling it. (scr_beginloadscript) ^_~

Q. Are there different servers for 1.11, 1.12, 1.13?
A. No, they all use the same server but they separate clients based on the build version. Once again, if we could create actual .self files using .gsc would be as easy as editing 3~ things. :( (This is Activision we're talking about here.)

Q. Are there backup patch files stored in the default_mp.self?
A. Yes.

Q. Are the files in default_mp.self loaded automatically or checked and if they fail loaded from the .self?
A. I'm actually not sure. I looked for anything that could resemble a hash and found nothing.

In closing, I may be entirely wrong, but based on assumptions, work I've done, and tools that were available, there seems to be no way to re-pack a .elf file into a proper npdrm .self until that happens, its unfortunately .cfg city.
Last edited by Killer1478 ; 04-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.

The following 18 users say thank you to Killer1478 for this useful post:

bandphan, BearcatkHD, BrinkerzHD, CoDyMoDz1000XD, eodismad, FaTaL ReVeNgE, ImGsus, iTrexk, Josh_ox3, MadManModz, matt0897, Moment, MW2TopTenWORLD, Mz-Bomb3rZz-, RichModder, Slice, ThreeSixtyyy, Xx--AIDAN--xX

The following 3 users groaned at Killer1478 for this awful post:

Red-EyeX32, Vampytwistッ
03-31-2013, 02:29 AM #2
Xx--AIDAN--xX
One Man Army
nice thread and i really dont want gsc to come back ever again iot was fun at the start but then it got out of hand and the game is bad enough with uav hacks,infectable mod menu etc.
03-31-2013, 02:37 AM #3
Originally posted by xX View Post
nice thread and i really dont want gsc to come back ever again iot was fun at the start but then it got out of hand and the game is bad enough with uav hacks,infectable mod menu etc.

Personally, I'd keep it private or something if I was able to do it but I wasn't. The only thing I enjoyed about .gsc's were the unique stuff like flying a harrier or care package helicopter and the custom game modes.
03-31-2013, 02:39 AM #4
Xx--AIDAN--xX
One Man Army
Originally posted by Killer1478 View Post
Personally, I'd keep it private or something if I was able to do it but I wasn't. The only thing I enjoyed about .gsc's were the unique stuff like flying a harrier or care package helicopter and the custom game modes.
Smile yeah i miss the zombie patch that was fun and so was roll the dice but theres always bypassing Smile
03-31-2013, 03:36 AM #5
HanleyzHD♚
Are you high?
Nice threadWinky Winky I'm actually glad that gsc is gone though.
03-31-2013, 03:41 AM #6
SC58
Former Staff
Recently, I've had an unholy infatuation with trying to host .gsc mods once again on 1.14.
Unfortunately, its impossible but not because of the reasons you may think. So, I created this thread hoping to one day be able to return and pick off where I left off, or at least fill in others so they don't have to go at it blind like I did.

This will be done Q&A Style because it's easiest that way.

Q. Why is it impossible?
A. Because we cannot make a .self with npdrm properly (as far as I know) and because of that, the whole process is ruined.

Q. What do you mean we can't make a .self? We have "make_fself_npdrm".
A. Yes, fself, as in a fake .self file. It's a fake signing process and it cannot be read by the game. Thus it results in the gaming closing when trying to turn the extracted .elf back into a .self with no edits.

Q. Do you have any examples of it being a fake .self?
A. Well, yes.

Different Headers.
Different Footers.

Q. What if we simply replace the header and footer like we had to do before with patch_mp.ff
A. I tried it, but also this should uh... be a nice example of what the problem is.

That was why it was impossible. Now I will address some commonly asked questions around here.

Q. Was the .GSC compiler removed/disabled?
A. It was not removed (it's on the disk, not in a patch file) but it was disabled. Though I found something in the .elf that hinted at re-enabling it. (scr_beginloadscript) ^_~

Q. Are there different servers for 1.11, 1.12, 1.13?
A. No, they all use the same server but they separate clients based on the build version. Once again, if we could create actual .self files using .gsc would be as easy as editing 3~ things. :( (This is Activision we're talking about here.)

Q. Are there backup patch files stored in the default_mp.self?
A. Yes.

Q. Are the files in default_mp.self loaded automatically or checked and if they fail loaded from the .self?
A. I'm actually not sure. I looked for anything that could resemble a hash and found nothing.

In closing, I may be entirely wrong, but based on assumptions, work I've done, and tools that were available, there seems to be no way to re-pack a .elf file into a proper npdrm .self until that happens, its unfortunately .cfg city.

you can do all client mod menu on 1.14 :p
03-31-2013, 03:47 AM #7
Originally posted by SC58 View Post
you can do all client mod menu on 1.14 :p

I know but I still prefer gsc, its a lot more of a user experience that allowed you to create your own code instead of now you see maybe different infections and thats about it.

The feeling of coding, as a coder is just a much better "high" for me than using cvars and dvars and being restricted to that.

Edit:

Hold thine fuck, I may have found something painfully obvious that I missed.
Last edited by Killer1478 ; 03-31-2013 at 03:57 AM.
03-31-2013, 04:05 AM #8
SC58
Former Staff
I know but I still prefer gsc, its a lot more of a user experience that allowed you to create your own code instead of now you see maybe different infections and thats about it.

The feeling of coding, as a coder is just a much better "high" for me than using cvars and dvars and being restricted to that.

Edit:

Hold thine fuck, I may have found something painfully obvious that I missed.

u can get gsc back on 1.14 if you know what your doing,just got be very smart and re coding things and rewriting the stuff right
03-31-2013, 04:11 AM #9
Originally posted by SC58 View Post
u can get gsc back on 1.14 if you know what your doing,just got be very smart and re coding things and rewriting the stuff right

No, you just have to either make something capable of signing .self's or find one.
03-31-2013, 10:41 AM #10
^TPP^
Who’s Jim Erased?
Originally posted by xX View Post

uav & mini mod menu inf. wasn't really that bad back then but when usb menu's were released then the game just went down hill :/

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Originally posted by HanleyzHD View Post
Nice threadWinky Winky I'm actually glad that gsc is gone though.

Y would you be glad :yuno: be sad all those game modes are gone (not really) & gsc isn't gone stare

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo