03-31-2013, 02:21 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); <View my last post for the most up-to-date info on page 3>

Recently, I've had an unholy infatuation with trying to host .gsc mods once again on 1.14.
Unfortunately, its impossible but not because of the reasons you may think. So, I created this thread hoping to one day be able to return and pick off where I left off, or at least fill in others so they don't have to go at it blind like I did.

This will be done Q&A Style because it's easiest that way.

Q. Why is it impossible?
A. Because we cannot make a .self with npdrm properly (as far as I know) and because of that, the whole process is ruined.

Q. What do you mean we can't make a .self? We have "make_fself_npdrm".
A. Yes, fself, as in a fake .self file. It's a fake signing process and it cannot be read by the game. Thus it results in the gaming closing when trying to turn the extracted .elf back into a .self with no edits.

Q. Do you have any examples of it being a fake .self?
A. Well, yes.

Different Headers.
You must login or register to view this content.
Different Footers.

Q. What if we simply replace the header and footer like we had to do before with patch_mp.ff
A. I tried it, but also this should uh... be a nice example of what the problem is.

That was why it was impossible. Now I will address some commonly asked questions around here.

Q. Was the .GSC compiler removed/disabled?
A. It was not removed (it's on the disk, not in a patch file) but it was disabled. Though I found something in the .elf that hinted at re-enabling it. (scr_beginloadscript) ^_~

Q. Are there different servers for 1.11, 1.12, 1.13?
A. No, they all use the same server but they separate clients based on the build version. Once again, if we could create actual .self files using .gsc would be as easy as editing 3~ things. :( (This is Activision we're talking about here.)

Q. Are there backup patch files stored in the default_mp.self?
A. Yes.

Q. Are the files in default_mp.self loaded automatically or checked and if they fail loaded from the .self?
A. I'm actually not sure. I looked for anything that could resemble a hash and found nothing.

In closing, I may be entirely wrong, but based on assumptions, work I've done, and tools that were available, there seems to be no way to re-pack a .elf file into a proper npdrm .self until that happens, its unfortunately .cfg city.
Last edited by Killer1478 ; 04-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.

The following 18 users say thank you to Killer1478 for this useful post:

bandphan, BearcatkHD, BrinkerzHD, CoDyMoDz1000XD, eodismad, FaTaL ReVeNgE, ImGsus, iTrexk, Josh_ox3, MadManModz, matt0897, Moment, MW2TopTenWORLD, Mz-Bomb3rZz-, RichModder, Slice, ThreeSixtyyy, Xx--AIDAN--xX

The following 3 users groaned at Killer1478 for this awful post:

Red-EyeX32, Vampytwistッ
04-19-2013, 04:57 AM #29
Default Avatar
clt42
Originally posted by Jake625 View Post
no.. the way you worded it sounds like you are trying to get GSC back. Noobs will unknowingly freak out and everyone just starts assuming things. Wanna know all there is to know about gsc? It has every gsc file precompiled (the ones from common_mp) into the game engine. It doesn't allow local reading of rawfile assets with the extension of gsc. Basically it's the equivalent of this: You can look at images on your computer but you can't look at any from usb's attached. It only allows whats in the game engine already. It also does integrity checks from current gsc files in the patch so those can't be modified or it will error. That's all there is to gsc. No way to get it back without recompiled the game engine yourself (and I don't think you're gunna get your hands on it :p). If you really want to use gsc on CFW look into RTE. You could create your own scripts and learn the structure to make your own implementation of gsc loading and execution.

100 percent correct. It is simply not worth trying, because most of the useful functions that are used in GSC have been reversed on the 360, so getting it on the PS3 shouldn't be too difficult, considering that hooking a dll to the .self is quite possible. Obviously the OP thinks changing a string will allow an older .SELF to play with other people.

---------- Post added at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Originally posted by Killer1478 View Post
*Bump* Sorry for the double post, I have a small progress update. I managed to get my edited self to load onto my CEX PS3.
Unfortunately there is one problem. I can only edit 1/2 the build version. (Its spoofed as 1.13.26.0 right now, instead of 1.13.162483.0)

If anyone knows how the 162483 section is obtained, I'd love to know. I've tried loading it through IDA Pro and looked for build info, but so far I've had no hits.

Video: (Sorry I held my camera wrong. What a piece of shit.) ((It may be processing))

Also, no it's not a hotfix. MW2 never supported hotfixes. It's physically built into the .self somewhere.

Changing a string will not allow an older self online. Spoofing will not work, the server will check and see that the self is a different self and will not be able to play with other players.
Hotfixes can be done on MW2, that .162483 is the hotfix applied to the self which is why you are not seeing it. If you don't think hotfixes can be done on mw2, consider this. When the ufo mode in cod4 was out a few years back, to prevent the mod from being used in pubs, IW hotfixed it so it could only be used in private matches while they worked on a fix.

The scripts are stored in the self, and they are compiled.

They work like this

game started> script is decompiled into a raw format where it can be read> executed>
04-19-2013, 07:25 PM #30
Originally posted by clt42 View Post

---------- Post added at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Changing a string will not allow an older self online. Spoofing will not work, the server will check and see that the self is a different self and will not be able to play with other players.
Hotfixes can be done on MW2, that .162483 is the hotfix applied to the self which is why you are not seeing it. If you don't think hotfixes can be done on mw2, consider this. When the ufo mode in cod4 was out a few years back, to prevent the mod from being used in pubs, IW hotfixed it so it could only be used in private matches while they worked on a fix.

The scripts are stored in the self, and they are compiled.

They work like this

game started> script is decompiled into a raw format where it can be read> executed>

I'm not quite sure. Simply because all default_mp.self's contained their "hotfix number or whatever you wanna call it" inside the default_mp.self before the build date, changing them has no effect but it's odd that it would be offline if it were truly a hotfix. In the same sense my hybrid 1.13.26.0 default_mp.self should let me play 1.11 games but that doesn't happen, I get put into matchmaking looking for players with only the same build version as me.

Also, no that's not true. Why? because I took a heavily modded 1.13 self online and it worked out just fine (Changed at least 80 different strings randomly for my own tests). The server cannot scan your ps3 and the .self is not self aware (no pun intended) to send any type of checksum with the server.

So far though, I would like to see some type of backing on your cod4 hypothesis because I never heard about that so a link would be nice.
Last edited by Killer1478 ; 04-19-2013 at 07:27 PM.
04-20-2013, 06:50 PM #31
hmm I donĀ“t know :|
04-20-2013, 06:52 PM #32
SC58
Former Staff
I'm not quite sure. Simply because all default_mp.self's contained their "hotfix number or whatever you wanna call it" inside the default_mp.self before the build date, changing them has no effect but it's odd that it would be offline if it were truly a hotfix. In the same sense my hybrid 1.13.26.0 default_mp.self should let me play 1.11 games but that doesn't happen, I get put into matchmaking looking for players with only the same build version as me.

Also, no that's not true. Why? because I took a heavily modded 1.13 self online and it worked out just fine (Changed at least 80 different strings randomly for my own tests). The server cannot scan your ps3 and the .self is not self aware (no pun intended) to send any type of checksum with the server.

So far though, I would like to see some type of backing on your cod4 hypothesis because I never heard about that so a link would be nice.

all i would think u would have to do is just spoofer it for sure and it should work,if u want i could help ya look into it but its whatever?
04-22-2013, 05:20 PM #33
Originally posted by SC58 View Post
all i would think u would have to do is just spoofer it for sure and it should work,if u want i could help ya look into it but its whatever?

Well I'm gonna set up a proxy but im almost positive that the hotfix is not downloaded.
04-22-2013, 05:43 PM #34
SC58
Former Staff
Well I'm gonna set up a proxy but im almost positive that the hotfix is not downloaded.

on xbox teh1337 make it where u could sytem link tu7/8 updat on normal xbox to tu6 bypass menu but it wasnt for online but,on ps3 if u got hud elem u could do alot of bypass stuff online,so if not gsc online then hud elem for sure but i dont think a hotfix would matter for getting it back cause m2 1.14 ff are in gsc but u cant put gsc back so if u was to spoof it right im pretty sure u could get it back that way but it be hard to spoofer it right
12-26-2023, 09:22 PM #35
By the way, I want to talk about the IoT success of https://www.simbase.com/ because they have a high degree of expertise and customer focus. Not only do they strive to provide innovative solutions to customers, but they also actively work to ensure that the services meet the unique needs of each customer.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo