03-31-2013, 02:21 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); <View my last post for the most up-to-date info on page 3>

Recently, I've had an unholy infatuation with trying to host .gsc mods once again on 1.14.
Unfortunately, its impossible but not because of the reasons you may think. So, I created this thread hoping to one day be able to return and pick off where I left off, or at least fill in others so they don't have to go at it blind like I did.

This will be done Q&A Style because it's easiest that way.

Q. Why is it impossible?
A. Because we cannot make a .self with npdrm properly (as far as I know) and because of that, the whole process is ruined.

Q. What do you mean we can't make a .self? We have "make_fself_npdrm".
A. Yes, fself, as in a fake .self file. It's a fake signing process and it cannot be read by the game. Thus it results in the gaming closing when trying to turn the extracted .elf back into a .self with no edits.

Q. Do you have any examples of it being a fake .self?
A. Well, yes.

Different Headers.
You must login or register to view this content.
Different Footers.

Q. What if we simply replace the header and footer like we had to do before with patch_mp.ff
A. I tried it, but also this should uh... be a nice example of what the problem is.

That was why it was impossible. Now I will address some commonly asked questions around here.

Q. Was the .GSC compiler removed/disabled?
A. It was not removed (it's on the disk, not in a patch file) but it was disabled. Though I found something in the .elf that hinted at re-enabling it. (scr_beginloadscript) ^_~

Q. Are there different servers for 1.11, 1.12, 1.13?
A. No, they all use the same server but they separate clients based on the build version. Once again, if we could create actual .self files using .gsc would be as easy as editing 3~ things. :( (This is Activision we're talking about here.)

Q. Are there backup patch files stored in the default_mp.self?
A. Yes.

Q. Are the files in default_mp.self loaded automatically or checked and if they fail loaded from the .self?
A. I'm actually not sure. I looked for anything that could resemble a hash and found nothing.

In closing, I may be entirely wrong, but based on assumptions, work I've done, and tools that were available, there seems to be no way to re-pack a .elf file into a proper npdrm .self until that happens, its unfortunately .cfg city.
Last edited by Killer1478 ; 04-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.

The following 18 users say thank you to Killer1478 for this useful post:

bandphan, BearcatkHD, BrinkerzHD, CoDyMoDz1000XD, eodismad, FaTaL ReVeNgE, ImGsus, iTrexk, Josh_ox3, MadManModz, matt0897, Moment, MW2TopTenWORLD, Mz-Bomb3rZz-, RichModder, Slice, ThreeSixtyyy, Xx--AIDAN--xX

The following 3 users groaned at Killer1478 for this awful post:

Red-EyeX32, Vampytwistッ
03-31-2013, 06:00 PM #11
Josh_ox3
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by Killer1478 View Post
Recently, I've had an unholy infatuation with trying to host .gsc mods once again on 1.14.
Unfortunately, its impossible but not because of the reasons you may think. So, I created this thread hoping to one day be able to return and pick off where I left off, or at least fill in others so they don't have to go at it blind like I did.

Q. Why is it impossible?
A. Because we cannot make a .self with npdrm properly (as far as I know) and because of that, the whole process is ruined.

A. Yes, fself, as in a fake .self file. It's a fake signing process and it cannot be read by the game. Thus it results in the gaming closing when trying to turn the extracted .elf back into a .self with no edits.

A. Well, yes.

Different Headers.
Different Footers.

Q. What if we simply replace the header and footer like we had to do before with patch_mp.ff
A. I tried it, but also this should uh... be a nice example of what the problem is.

That was why it was impossible. Now I will address some commonly asked questions around here.

A. It was not removed (it's on the disk, not in a patch file) but it was disabled. Though I found something in the .elf that hinted at re-enabling it. (scr_beginloadscript) ^_~

A. No, they all use the same server but they separate clients based on the build version. Once again, if we could create actual .self files using .gsc would be as easy as editing 3~ things. :( (This is Activision we're talking about here.)

A. Yes.

Q. Are the files in default_mp.self loaded automatically or checked and if they fail loaded from the .self?
A. I'm actually not sure. I looked for anything that could resemble a hash and found nothing.

In closing, I may be entirely wrong, but based on assumptions, work I've done, and tools that were available, there seems to be no way to re-pack a .elf file into a proper npdrm .self until that happens, its unfortunately .cfg city.

Good work, it's good you put some effort into this, maybe some of the programmers can take on where you left off Happy
03-31-2013, 06:00 PM #12
Some more information.

Using scetool you can "sign" a .self, I did my best but I still could not get it 100% loadable (it defaulted to the disk so I tried backing up and doing a replace of that but to no avail.) If anyone has any further information sharing it would help.
03-31-2013, 08:19 PM #13
Originally posted by Killer1478 View Post

Q. Why is it impossible?

A. Well, yes.

Different Headers.
Different Footers.

A. Yes.

are you retarded?
03-31-2013, 08:54 PM #14
Originally posted by Jake625 View Post
are you retarded?

Maybe
04-01-2013, 02:02 AM #15
M0T1VAT10N
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by SC58 View Post
you can do all client mod menu on 1.14 :p

HAHA are u serious? How do u do that?
04-01-2013, 03:36 AM #16
SC58
Former Staff
Originally posted by tittlewinkie View Post
HAHA are u serious? How do u do that?

re code the default_mp.self or RTE or use dll/SPRX stuff like that
Last edited by SC58 ; 04-01-2013 at 03:41 AM.
04-01-2013, 01:03 PM #17
M0T1VAT10N
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by SC58 View Post
re code the default_mp.self or RTE or use dll/SPRX stuff like that

Thats awsome u gotta teach me how w/ rte
04-01-2013, 08:59 PM #18
iTruceFret
[move]From now on, call me DRAGON.[/move]
Originally posted by Jake625 View Post
are you retarded?

I'd groan you, but unfortunately it will not let me groan homosexuals.
04-02-2013, 04:50 AM #19
Originally posted by iTruceFret View Post
I'd groan you, but unfortunately it will not let me groan homosexuals.

You do realize this has nothing to do with getting GSC back. It's 100% wrong. Ask any REAL expert.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo