03-31-2013, 02:21 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); <View my last post for the most up-to-date info on page 3>

Recently, I've had an unholy infatuation with trying to host .gsc mods once again on 1.14.
Unfortunately, its impossible but not because of the reasons you may think. So, I created this thread hoping to one day be able to return and pick off where I left off, or at least fill in others so they don't have to go at it blind like I did.

This will be done Q&A Style because it's easiest that way.

Q. Why is it impossible?
A. Because we cannot make a .self with npdrm properly (as far as I know) and because of that, the whole process is ruined.

Q. What do you mean we can't make a .self? We have "make_fself_npdrm".
A. Yes, fself, as in a fake .self file. It's a fake signing process and it cannot be read by the game. Thus it results in the gaming closing when trying to turn the extracted .elf back into a .self with no edits.

Q. Do you have any examples of it being a fake .self?
A. Well, yes.

Different Headers.
You must login or register to view this content.
Different Footers.

Q. What if we simply replace the header and footer like we had to do before with patch_mp.ff
A. I tried it, but also this should uh... be a nice example of what the problem is.

That was why it was impossible. Now I will address some commonly asked questions around here.

Q. Was the .GSC compiler removed/disabled?
A. It was not removed (it's on the disk, not in a patch file) but it was disabled. Though I found something in the .elf that hinted at re-enabling it. (scr_beginloadscript) ^_~

Q. Are there different servers for 1.11, 1.12, 1.13?
A. No, they all use the same server but they separate clients based on the build version. Once again, if we could create actual .self files using .gsc would be as easy as editing 3~ things. :( (This is Activision we're talking about here.)

Q. Are there backup patch files stored in the default_mp.self?
A. Yes.

Q. Are the files in default_mp.self loaded automatically or checked and if they fail loaded from the .self?
A. I'm actually not sure. I looked for anything that could resemble a hash and found nothing.

In closing, I may be entirely wrong, but based on assumptions, work I've done, and tools that were available, there seems to be no way to re-pack a .elf file into a proper npdrm .self until that happens, its unfortunately .cfg city.
Last edited by Killer1478 ; 04-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.

The following 18 users say thank you to Killer1478 for this useful post:

bandphan, BearcatkHD, BrinkerzHD, CoDyMoDz1000XD, eodismad, FaTaL ReVeNgE, ImGsus, iTrexk, Josh_ox3, MadManModz, matt0897, Moment, MW2TopTenWORLD, Mz-Bomb3rZz-, RichModder, Slice, ThreeSixtyyy, Xx--AIDAN--xX

The following 3 users groaned at Killer1478 for this awful post:

Red-EyeX32, Vampytwistッ
04-02-2013, 08:29 AM #20
*xActionMods*
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by Jake625 View Post
You do realize this has nothing to do with getting GSC back. It's 100% wrong. Ask any REAL expert.

Jake... you didn't read it right; he is not trying to bring GSC back
04-02-2013, 07:59 PM #21
You do realize this has nothing to do with getting GSC back. It's 100% wrong. Ask any REAL expert.

I realize some of it is wrong but instead of being pompous you could offer some corrections. I know it was wrong of me to call it a "fake self" its more of a DEX self file but regardless that method wouldn't work. There also seems to be no experts around here to ask so I created a simple knowledge thread and I guess I got stuck with you :(
04-02-2013, 10:39 PM #22
Originally posted by Killer1478 View Post
I realize some of it is wrong but instead of being pompous you could offer some corrections. I know it was wrong of me to call it a "fake self" its more of a DEX self file but regardless that method wouldn't work. There also seems to be no experts around here to ask so I created a simple knowledge thread and I guess I got stuck with you :(

no.. the way you worded it sounds like you are trying to get GSC back. Noobs will unknowingly freak out and everyone just starts assuming things. Wanna know all there is to know about gsc? It has every gsc file precompiled (the ones from common_mp) into the game engine. It doesn't allow local reading of rawfile assets with the extension of gsc. Basically it's the equivalent of this: You can look at images on your computer but you can't look at any from usb's attached. It only allows whats in the game engine already. It also does integrity checks from current gsc files in the patch so those can't be modified or it will error. That's all there is to gsc. No way to get it back without recompiled the game engine yourself (and I don't think you're gunna get your hands on it :p). If you really want to use gsc on CFW look into RTE. You could create your own scripts and learn the structure to make your own implementation of gsc loading and execution.
04-02-2013, 11:44 PM #23
no.. the way you worded it sounds like you are trying to get GSC back. Noobs will unknowingly freak out and everyone just starts assuming things. Wanna know all there is to know about gsc? It has every gsc file precompiled (the ones from common_mp) into the game engine. It doesn't allow local reading of rawfile assets with the extension of gsc. Basically it's the equivalent of this: You can look at images on your computer but you can't look at any from usb's attached. It only allows whats in the game engine already. It also does integrity checks from current gsc files in the patch so those can't be modified or it will error. That's all there is to gsc. No way to get it back without recompiled the game engine yourself (and I don't think you're gunna get your hands on it :p). If you really want to use gsc on CFW look into RTE. You could create your own scripts and learn the structure to make your own implementation of gsc loading and execution.

Well I guess thats a start, but one thing to think about is that, there is no way to think that the default_mp.self carried the whole compiler within it, and instead what they most likely did was just disable the compiler that is most likely on this disc somewhere and then stream the .gsc from the default_mp.self so rather than trying to get it to load gsc again, a practical idea would be to simply patch the default_mp.self from 1.11 so the game's servers think its a 1.13 default_mp.self and because of that it should be practical to assume 1.11 patches would work again. I did a lot of comparing and I didn't find any different servers (it's activision here) so I'm thinking practically it would be as easy as changing the build version in the 1.11 default_mp.elf then resigning it as a start anyway.

Though RTE might also be a practical method into just making the game think you're using the proper files and such. Either way, when I get a chance I'll attempt both.
04-03-2013, 05:40 AM #24
Well I guess thats a start, but one thing to think about is that, there is no way to think that the default_mp.self carried the whole compiler within it, and instead what they most likely did was just disable the compiler that is most likely on this disc somewhere and then stream the .gsc from the default_mp.self so rather than trying to get it to load gsc again, a practical idea would be to simply patch the default_mp.self from 1.11 so the game's servers think its a 1.13 default_mp.self and because of that it should be practical to assume 1.11 patches would work again. I did a lot of comparing and I didn't find any different servers (it's activision here) so I'm thinking practically it would be as easy as changing the build version in the 1.11 default_mp.elf then resigning it as a start anyway.

Though RTE might also be a practical method into just making the game think you're using the proper files and such. Either way, when I get a chance I'll attempt both.

Okay for one the game doesn't have a compiler. Think of it as an executable. It's just a program for the playstation. The game just loads the assets from the patch. It's a fast and effective way to update their scripts without redoing their game engine. They had too with all this hacking though. Also you can't patch 1.11 selfs to think it's on 1.13. They are completely different executable and cannot run with eachother. not to mention integrity checks, etc. Most of what you're mentioning is non-sense. It's all assumptions on things you believe are true which are totally wrong, then you get noobs to believe it and they get all excited. Look I'm not trying to insult you, and you did take your time to do the research but I'm telling you now, it's mostly wrong and completely irrelevant. If you really want to make gsc on current updates download the PS3 SDK and find a way to steal their game engine source (C). Then recode, and recompile it yourself. hehe not such an easy task.. I would stick to RTE. You can learn the structure of memory and then program your own insert to memory to replicate a compiler of gsc. :p
04-05-2013, 01:10 PM #25
Originally posted by HanleyzHD View Post
Nice threadWinky Winky I'm actually glad that gsc is gone though.
.gsc isnt gone this is of topic from this thead bypass ppl just need 2 use a different method of bypassing game update :y:
Last edited by zL_j8hnb ; 04-05-2013 at 01:14 PM.
04-13-2013, 03:36 AM #26
I know but I still prefer gsc, its a lot more of a user experience that allowed you to create your own code instead of now you see maybe different infections and thats about it.

The feeling of coding, as a coder is just a much better "high" for me than using cvars and dvars and being restricted to that.

Edit:

Hold thine fuck, I may have found something painfully obvious that I missed.

you couldnt of said it any better bro
04-13-2013, 10:54 PM #27
Sorry I've been away for a while making some hacks for PC games. I haven't worked on this since idk March 26th? I'll try to put some work towards it soon I suppose. I may have to switch to DEX but I'd prefer to finish it for CEX.
04-16-2013, 11:40 PM #28
*Bump* Sorry for the double post, I have a small progress update. I managed to get my edited self to load onto my CEX PS3.
Unfortunately there is one problem. I can only edit 1/2 the build version. (Its spoofed as 1.13.26.0 right now, instead of 1.13.162483.0)

If anyone knows how the 162483 section is obtained, I'd love to know. I've tried loading it through IDA Pro and looked for build info, but so far I've had no hits.

Video: (Sorry I held my camera wrong. What a piece of shit.) ((It may be processing))

Also, no it's not a hotfix. MW2 never supported hotfixes. It's physically built into the .self somewhere.
Last edited by Killer1478 ; 04-16-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo