Post: Here’s How You Can potentially Improve the Speed of Your Connection
05-14-2014, 10:52 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s You must login or register to view this content. (windows download link You must login or register to view this content.) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

You must login or register to view this content.
The above image is a example.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

1. Go to “Network”
  2. Go to “Set up Internet Connection”
  3. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Awesome faceo Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  8. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Awesome faceo Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

Last edited by Alt ; 08-28-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Updated broken image

The following 47 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

RAB, ATypicalSe7en, BASEBALL4EVER12, bejekas, Black_ice, Blackhawk_Dan, castalia80, Cien, CITYCOMET, CpT_iDont_Camp, Cryptic, DJR_Supreme, DMaRUAE, DonGiuliiano, EMINEM__x3, GRENDEL 51, hatecorp, i--DanieL_, iNDMx, Invalld, Isaac Clarke, Ismaeel74, iTruceFret, Jaqen H'ghar, JiinxMax, jkwxyz96, Joel, KareraHekku, killerboc, KimJongIl, Deleted-User0000000012210, legitimatemodZ, mczero_, nabeel12, ResistTheSteam, seb5594, simmy3601, sleekshow, SMarT, SU44K8, Superman., THE_JABZ, TheGreatestSyn, WhyUMadKid, whyyoumad, xShadow, zNxRo

The following user groaned xLew-- for this awful post:

Alexis Rhodes
05-15-2014, 04:33 PM #20
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
So I get that this is for the consoles, but would this also work for a regular pc I wonder.

Either way its something I'm surly going to do.

My current pc is shitly slow. Shouldn't effect anything right?
05-15-2014, 04:45 PM #21
TheGreatestSyn
Bounty hunter
Originally posted by xLew
Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s You must login or register to view this content. (windows download link You must login or register to view this content.) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

1. Go to “Network”
  3. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Do Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  8. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Do Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

mine really didnt change much
Before: 3.4mb down
492kbps up
After: 3.2mb down
500kbps up
05-15-2014, 05:54 PM #22
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by Cryptic
So I get that this is for the consoles, but would this also work for a regular pc I wonder.

Should work with any thing that uses a DNS servers I'd imagine think anything that connects to the net in the UK will do I think lol
05-15-2014, 05:56 PM #23
xLew--
Former Staff

Shouldn't affect anything no, if it does just change it back
05-15-2014, 06:28 PM #24
These were my results:
PS4 Internet Test: Pre DNS
Download----------Upload
18.0-------------------2.7
5.1--------------------3.2
15.7-------------------0.45
18.3-------------------3.3
15.3-------------------3.7

PS4 Internet Test: Post DNS
Download----------Upload
18.6-------------------3.4
14.1-------------------3.4
18.2-------------------3.4
13.2-------------------3.6
15.8-------------------3.3

Not too much of a change in my opinion, I would say that it didn't have much affect for me personally, but hopefully this gives some individuals greater results Gasp
Last edited by iPwNoobz- ; 05-15-2014 at 06:31 PM.
05-15-2014, 11:20 PM #25
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
Should work with any thing that uses a DNS servers I'd imagine think anything that connects to the net in the UK will do I think lol

Wait in the UK? This is UK only? No love for the States?
05-16-2014, 12:52 AM #26
xLew--
Former Staff
Wait in the UK? This is UK only? No love for the States?

Dunno how Internet connection work over there lol but yeah it should apply to everyone
05-16-2014, 06:27 PM #27
whyyoumad
Bounty hunter
does this affect the matchmaking? i keep getting into foreign lobbies.
Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

1. Go to “Network”
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Do Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Do Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

05-16-2014, 06:52 PM #28
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by whyyoumad View Post
does this affect the matchmaking? i keep getting into foreign lobbies.

Shouldn't do mate

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo