Post: Here’s How You Can potentially Improve the Speed of Your Connection
05-14-2014, 10:52 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s You must login or register to view this content. (windows download link You must login or register to view this content.) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

You must login or register to view this content.
The above image is a example.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

1. Go to “Network”
  2. Go to “Set up Internet Connection”
  3. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Awesome faceo Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  8. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Awesome faceo Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

Last edited by Alt ; 08-28-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Updated broken image

The following 47 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

RAB, ATypicalSe7en, BASEBALL4EVER12, bejekas, Black_ice, Blackhawk_Dan, castalia80, Cien, CITYCOMET, CpT_iDont_Camp, Cryptic, DJR_Supreme, DMaRUAE, DonGiuliiano, EMINEM__x3, GRENDEL 51, hatecorp, i--DanieL_, iNDMx, Invalld, Isaac Clarke, Ismaeel74, iTruceFret, Jaqen H'ghar, JiinxMax, jkwxyz96, Joel, KareraHekku, killerboc, KimJongIl, Deleted-User0000000012210, legitimatemodZ, mczero_, nabeel12, ResistTheSteam, seb5594, simmy3601, sleekshow, SMarT, SU44K8, Superman., THE_JABZ, TheGreatestSyn, WhyUMadKid, whyyoumad, xShadow, zNxRo

The following user groaned xLew-- for this awful post:

Alexis Rhodes
05-16-2014, 08:25 PM #29
whyyoumad
Bounty hunter
its probably just this shit game.

it match makes me with kids who cant speak English and are shit on the game.

there making my life harder

Originally posted by xLew
Shouldn't do mate
05-17-2014, 01:19 AM #30
Xcesar1911X
Who’s Jim Erased?
went from
18.4mbps down
1.9 up
TO
22.5mbps down
1.8 up
Thank you! Enzo
05-17-2014, 01:39 AM #31
Joel
[move]Sal:madsal::laim:[/move]
Since people get great results from speed, I'll stick this thread Smile.
05-17-2014, 06:36 AM #32
whyyoumad
Bounty hunter
you may want to try it more than once because i messed up my setting on my ps4 so i had to do this again. and i had to run the namebench around 3-4 times before i got the same speed as i had when i first tried.
but now i have saved the results webpage as a favourite so i will never lose the dns settings and i suggest you lot to do the same incase you have any problems. as it will be easier than keep running the namebench.

Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s You must login or register to view this content. (windows download link You must login or register to view this content.) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

1. Go to “Network”
  3. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Awesome faceo Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  8. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Awesome faceo Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

Last edited by whyyoumad ; 05-17-2014 at 06:39 AM.
05-17-2014, 05:08 PM #33
Kyoshiro
< ^ > < ^ >
Does this generally work for the PS3 as well?

Or is it just the PS4?
05-17-2014, 07:15 PM #34
Isaac Clarke
< ^ > < ^ >
it should work on any console.
05-17-2014, 08:09 PM #35
Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

1. Go to “Network”
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Do Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Do Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

this wont always be the case your isp is going to route you anyway in the end to save their bandwidth in areas with high traffic , you wanna speed your console up bridge a connection with your computers internet connection
05-20-2014, 02:18 PM #36
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by Kleio View Post
this wont always be the case your isp is going to route you anyway in the end to save their bandwidth in areas with high traffic , you wanna speed your console up bridge a connection with your computers internet connection

What will that even do?
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM #37
whyyoumad
Bounty hunter
if you bridge the connection from your pc to your ps4. you will need to connect an ethernet cable from your ps4 to your pc. and most pcs only have one ethernet port so you would need to connect from your pc to your router via wireless which will give you slower speeds than connecting wired. and then you need to share that wireless connection with your ps4 which will give you even slower speeds.

or have i got it wrong?

Originally posted by Kleio View Post

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo