Post: Here’s How You Can potentially Improve the Speed of Your Connection
05-14-2014, 10:52 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s You must login or register to view this content. (windows download link You must login or register to view this content.) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

You must login or register to view this content.
The above image is a example.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

1. Go to “Network”
  2. Go to “Set up Internet Connection”
  3. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Awesome faceo Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  8. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Awesome faceo Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

Last edited by Alt ; 08-28-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Updated broken image

The following 47 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

RAB, ATypicalSe7en, BASEBALL4EVER12, bejekas, Black_ice, Blackhawk_Dan, castalia80, Cien, CITYCOMET, CpT_iDont_Camp, Cryptic, DJR_Supreme, DMaRUAE, DonGiuliiano, EMINEM__x3, GRENDEL 51, hatecorp, i--DanieL_, iNDMx, Invalld, Isaac Clarke, Ismaeel74, iTruceFret, Jaqen H'ghar, JiinxMax, jkwxyz96, Joel, KareraHekku, killerboc, KimJongIl, Deleted-User0000000012210, legitimatemodZ, mczero_, nabeel12, ResistTheSteam, seb5594, simmy3601, sleekshow, SMarT, SU44K8, Superman., THE_JABZ, TheGreatestSyn, WhyUMadKid, whyyoumad, xShadow, zNxRo

The following user groaned xLew-- for this awful post:

Alexis Rhodes
05-20-2014, 10:52 PM #47
Originally posted by jerrmy12 View Post
I only have a tablet no pc, is there a mobile version of this?

U need a ethernet cable idea is to get faster speed then wireless for those to far from the modom/router the tablet isnt any faster
05-21-2014, 07:48 AM #48
BVBdede
Do a barrel roll!
Damn. I have no chance to use via cable...
05-23-2014, 10:19 AM #49
cod5cl
You talkin to me?
i don't know why this only happen to me or what every time i start the program it's freeze i don't know why if anyone know a solution of my problem plz reply me
05-24-2014, 10:42 AM #50
SMarT
Error… Cat invasion!
I don't know why everyone is posting their download and upload speeds. If I understand correctly, then this is only to reduce your ping.
Originally posted by another user
Will namebench make large downloads faster?
Probably not.

While namebench may significantly increase the speed of every day websurfing, it will not increase the speed of large file downloads such as watching movies online. This is because your computer only has to perform DNS lookups to start the download of the movie. Once the download initiates successfully, your download performance is at the mercy of your internet provider.

So therefore it connects to a site faster. Where as speed tests download and upload a large file to determine your overall internet speed. Gaming is all about the ping anyway (which so many people misunderstand). You don't need 100mb line to get the best playing experience. Just a good ping. So this definitely does the job Winky Winky

The following user thanked SMarT for this useful post:

Sniqers101
05-27-2014, 06:44 PM #51
RADDY1993
< ^ > < ^ >
You can get a better ping with MTU settings as you may be loosing packets or they are getting fragmented. I changed my MTU and the difference was night and day, if you want to find you best MTU use this tool ( You must login or register to view this content. ) sometimes it might be that you best is 1500 but most times its lower. If its lower then enter the number in MTU section of your PS4/PS3 and router.
06-06-2014, 11:55 AM #52
Originally posted by xLew
Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s You must login or register to view this content. (windows download link You must login or register to view this content.) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

1. Go to “Network”
  3. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Do Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  8. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Do Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

Trying this right now Smile
06-08-2014, 07:13 PM #53
very good, just gonna give this a try now!
06-23-2014, 05:34 PM #54
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
8.2% improvement. tears

Maybe that's because I did it during a peek time? I'll try again later tonight when the neighborhood goes to bed. See if that doesn't help.

Shouldn't matter if my PC is a POS should it? It's about the Internet speed?
06-26-2014, 02:05 AM #55
PakMan
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by xLew
Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

1. Go to “Network”
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Do Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Do Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

i get this error: You must login or register to view this content.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo