Post: Here’s How You Can potentially Improve the Speed of Your Connection
05-14-2014, 10:52 AM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Due to their plug and play nature people often don’t bother setting up their internet connection properly on consoles, and this often results in lower performance compared to what they could achieve. Today Reddit user RemoteSenses posted a You must login or register to view this content. on how to set your nameservers on PS4, which depending on your location could lead to a sensible improvement in the quality of your tethering to the world wide web.

First of all download Google’s You must login or register to view this content. (windows download link You must login or register to view this content.) on any PC and run it (try not to have any other download going on as you do, as it could throw the results off). It will benchmark all the available nameservers and find the ones that are fastest for you.

You must login or register to view this content.
The above image is a example.

Once you’re done testing, write down the two fastest nameservers (marked Primary and Secondary on the top right of the web page that will be opened automatically, as you can see above) and open the settings menu of your PS4, then follow the steps below:

1. Go to “Network”
  2. Go to “Set up Internet Connection”
  3. Select “Use Wi-Fi” or “Use a LAN Cable” depending on whether you’re connected on wireless or via ethernet cable.
  4. Select “Custom”
  5. Select “Automatic”
  6. Select “Awesome faceo Not Specify”
  7. Select “Manual”
  8. Insert the two numbers you got before as your “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS” (don’t use those in the picture above, as they’re specific for me and showcased just as an example)
  9. Select “Automatic”
  10. Select “Awesome faceo Not Use”

Also Works on xbox too.

Last edited by Alt ; 08-28-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Updated broken image

The following 47 users say thank you to xLew-- for this useful post:

RAB, ATypicalSe7en, BASEBALL4EVER12, bejekas, Black_ice, Blackhawk_Dan, castalia80, Cien, CITYCOMET, CpT_iDont_Camp, Cryptic, DJR_Supreme, DMaRUAE, DonGiuliiano, EMINEM__x3, GRENDEL 51, hatecorp, i--DanieL_, iNDMx, Invalld, Isaac Clarke, Ismaeel74, iTruceFret, Jaqen H'ghar, JiinxMax, jkwxyz96, Joel, KareraHekku, killerboc, KimJongIl, Deleted-User0000000012210, legitimatemodZ, mczero_, nabeel12, ResistTheSteam, seb5594, simmy3601, sleekshow, SMarT, SU44K8, Superman., THE_JABZ, TheGreatestSyn, WhyUMadKid, whyyoumad, xShadow, zNxRo

The following user groaned xLew-- for this awful post:

Alexis Rhodes
05-20-2014, 09:31 PM #38
moinsher
Gym leader
Delete
Last edited by moinsher ; 12-27-2023 at 01:28 AM.
05-20-2014, 10:23 PM #39
Originally posted by whyyoumad View Post
if you bridge the connection from your pc to your ps4. you will need to connect an ethernet cable from your ps4 to your pc. and most pcs only have one ethernet port so you would need to connect from your pc to your router via wireless which will give you slower speeds than connecting wired. and then you need to share that wireless connection with your ps4 which will give you even slower speeds.

or have i got it wrong?

Ur stupid ps3 data transfer caps at 56mbps due to wireless g i think its using example n caps at 450mbps i actually get a speed increase from bridging as i run off wireless ac that caps at 1300mbps so im not being limited by anything but the ps3 hdd read and write i go from a download of about 3 to 7mbps this all depends on time of day as i can go as low as 120kb y i said dns dont help when ur isp is gonna reroute u anyway
05-20-2014, 10:25 PM #40
Originally posted by xLew
What will that even do?

Removes data bandwidth limitation the wireless card is at think ps3 is capped at 56mbps count how far ur router is and its even less
05-20-2014, 10:30 PM #41
whyyoumad
Bounty hunter
ur stupid. im talking about the ps4 not ps3.
when i connect to my router on wireless theese are my speeds.

AND THEN IF I CONNECT TO MY ROUTER WIRED THEESE ARE MY SPEEDS.

if i bridged the conection that means id have to connect wireless to my router from my pc which only gives me 34mbps download speed and 18mbps upload speed .
so if i bridged the connection from my ps4 to my pc. then i would be sharing that connection. i just wasted 20 mins of my time rearaning my setup to prove a point. i bridged the connection and got only 23mbps download and 9.8mbps upload.

without bridging it i get 66mbps download and 17mb upload

so im struggling to see how your way is giving me a faster connection

Originally posted by Kleio View Post
Ur stupid ps3 data transfer caps at 56mbps due to wireless g i think its using example n caps at 450mbps i actually get a speed increase from bridging as i run off wireless ac that caps at 1300mbps so im not being limited by anything but the ps3 hdd read and write i go from a download of about 3 to 7mbps this all depends on time of day as i can go as low as 120kb y i said dns dont help when ur isp is gonna reroute u anyway
Last edited by whyyoumad ; 05-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.
05-20-2014, 10:37 PM #42
Originally posted by whyyoumad View Post
ur stupid. im talking about the ps4 not ps3

I stated both in my reply and how am i stupid ps4 still uses wireless n and im sure on the 2.4ghz band
05-20-2014, 10:42 PM #43
xLew--
Former Staff
Removes data bandwidth limitation the wireless card is at think ps3 is capped at 56mbps count how far ur router is and its even less

My connection is only 5-12mbps anyways
05-20-2014, 10:44 PM #44
whyyoumad
Bounty hunter
im not talking about the ps4 having wireless i know it does. if you bridge the connection then you need to conect from your ps4 via a ethernet cable to you pc which is connected wireless to the internet. also i see nothing about the ps4 in your reply. and i did the test with a 5ghz wireless dongle. and the connection was to my bt home hub 5 which is one of the best routers available for wireless.
I stated both in my reply and how am i stupid ps4 still uses wireless n and im sure on the 2.4ghz band
Last edited by whyyoumad ; 05-20-2014 at 10:58 PM.
05-20-2014, 10:46 PM #45
jerrmy12
At least I can fight

I only have a tablet no pc, is there a mobile version of this?
05-20-2014, 10:47 PM #46
whyyoumad
Bounty hunter
show me where you mention ps4?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo